Kenneth and Avon to rest of the system , Thames section of the journey.

madcat

Featured Posts

Galeomma asked the question in the Thames thread but it didn't get an answer yet so I've started this this thread because Ive wondered about the journey .

what sort of a trip is it from the GU to the K&A , is the Thames a bit scary in parts . I'd like to make the trip one day but I will be on my own so what would I have to look out for , what might be difficult.

How much does the passage cost for a single Narrowboat ?

I would say that its one of the nicest and most interesting inland trips you could do in a narrowboat, so long as the rivers are nowhere near being in flood,

The only frightning bit to my mind is getting through Reading in one piece.

I would also say take as long as you can afford for the journey up the Thames.

cheers, David

I would say that its one of the nicest and most interesting inland trips you could do in a narrowboat, so long as the rivers are nowhere near being in flood,

The only frightning bit to my mind is getting through Reading in one piece.

I would also say take as long as you can afford for the journey up the Thames.

cheers, David

What's wrong with Reading?

Thames is just lovely. You will find the short tidal section quite ok as well - have a look at the link in my signature panel - Tidal Thames Help - all the information is there. Think about the Wey and the Basingstoke at the same time - well worth the time.

The Thames need not be scary in normal conditions (no warning notices out).

You have to understand that there is a good flow of water on the River - so you need to know how to work with weir streams, eddies around bridges and the like.

It's not a good idea to do it on your own - especially if you're not good at handling lines (ropes) - but lots of folks do. A centre line is 'a good thing to have'. The locks can be deep, are much wider than the GU and you are required to use a line at the front and at the rear.

I couldn't find any prices - just load of forms - a week's licence (cheaper than buying n x daily ones). I think about £70 and is charged on boat length.

Grand Union to K&A is an easy 2 days - depending on tide times.

Most of the time the locks are manned and yes, it is front and back ropes and engine off(unless you have something that will not start again - but chances are this will have an exhaust out of the roof so the lockies will let you keep it running!!)

It is also great fun, proper river, lots of good views - Hampton Court, Windsor, Henley etc - you will never see as many yoghurt pots again unless you go to Miami

The licence is done on boat length, you get 2 days for price of one - but remember, if you lock out of Brentford late afternoon because of the tide and buy at Teddington, that is the first day gone. - about £40-50

• 1 month later...

Nothing, and as a society we should encourage people to do more of it rather than just watching tv.

If the Thames is behaving, then the only part of the trip you really have think about is the tidal bit from Brentford to Teddington. Otherwise it's plain sailing.

Edited by blackrose

Whats wrong with Reading lots of shops in the Oracle that have no where to moor as your in a traffic light control stretch so close curtains and keep she who must be obeyed indoors

Whats wrong with Reading lots of shops in the Oracle that have no where to moor as your in a traffic light control stretch so close curtains and keep she who must be obeyed indoors

Umm -

Wharra 'bout in the Fobney loop?

(I haven't been there recently, but there usesd to be space between the liveaboards.

Think you are referring to the moorings by the prison 'the loop ' as you go into reading on your right . There are sometimes liveaboards there, appears safe enough , covered by CCTV. Close to the shops . Fobney lock is the first lock off the kennet onto the first canalised section , by the waterworks . Can experience antisocial youth trouble there . Couple of incidents this winter . One evolved a woman jumping into the canal in daylight during January to get away from a man with a knife. Few years ago a had a dedicate telephone number to a local policeman. Saying all that we haven't had any trouble yet .Bunny

Who's Kenneth?????

Kenneth? You know Kenneth, he's the one thats married to what-its name!

You know the one, walks with a lisp.

Quite a nice feller.

Glad to help!

Nipper

Who's Kenneth?????

He's a friend of Avon off Blake's 7

It's a long commute from Beckenham. I did that for two years, then another two commuting to Maidenhead which was worse because it had less trains from Paddington and they took longer.

I recall a conversation I once had with an Italian tourist on the train out of Paddington:

Italian: Is this the train to reading, please?

Me: [5 second pause...penny drops] Oh, you mean Reading, yes it is.

Italian: But the station is reading.

Me: [miming reading a book] This is reading; the station is spelt the same but we say Reading.

Italian: This makes no sense!

Me: You're right, but that's English for you...

I was coming upstream through Reading in quite a strong current single-handed and it was quite tricky to pull in and moor up to press the traffic light button, so I shouted across to a woman pedestrian and politely asked if she could push the button as she passed. She obliged, but not happily.

On busy roads with swing bridges I often ask people if they would mind helping out and close the bridge after I'm through so that the traffic can get going. Most are happy to get involved, but you must give them clear instructions.

I don't want to delay anyone, but these things take time when you're on your own. What is odd to me is that walkers will often help, but few car drivers are prepared to get out of their cars to help. The driver at the front of the queue will often sit there with an impatient look on their face but never think about getting out of their car to help close the bridge.

Edited by blackrose

I was coming upstream through Reading in quite a strong current single-handed and it was quite tricky to pull in and moor up to press the traffic light button, so I shouted across to a woman pedestrian and politely asked if she could push the button as she passed. She obliged, but not happily.

On busy roads with swing bridges I often ask people if they would mind helping out and close the bridge after I'm through so that the traffic can get going. Most are happy to get involved, but you must give them clear instructions.

I don't want to delay anyone, but these things take time when you're on your own. What is odd to me is that walkers will often help, but few car drivers are prepared to get out of their cars to help. The driver at the front of the queue will often sit there with an impatient look on their face but never think about getting out of their car to help close the bridge.

To some it's the practice of avoiding eye contact. Difficult, perhaps, if the person in question is sitting and a car and difficult for you if you're working single handed.

'We' make it a practice of being extravert (well, perhaps only when boating) of engaging with gongoozlers et al, by asking for help or 'would you like to press that or push that'. Most often is that the person involved is delighted to perform the task requested and even may say 'thanks for asking' (Others think we're nutters - ho hum).

When working the 'electric' locks on the Thames, I make a point of engaging with those temporarily entombed with us - it's important if acting as temporary lockkeeper to make sure that all boats are ready to proceed. Some react positively and engage with idle banter others - poor sods - look even more miserable than before and avert their gaze.

Boating (well more particularly canal boating) is described as a 'contact sport'. to me that means contacting with others, rather than crashing into them..

Any thoughts??

To some it's the practice of avoiding eye contact. Difficult, perhaps, if the person in question is sitting and a car and difficult for you if you're working single handed.

'We' make it a practice of being extravert (well, perhaps only when boating) of engaging with gongoozlers et al, by asking for help or 'would you like to press that or push that'. Most often is that the person involved is delighted to perform the task requested and even may say 'thanks for asking' (Others think we're nutters - ho hum).

When working the 'electric' locks on the Thames, I make a point of engaging with those temporarily entombed with us - it's important if acting as temporary lockkeeper to make sure that all boats are ready to proceed. Some react positively and engage with idle banter others - poor sods - look even more miserable than before and avert their gaze.

Boating (well more particularly canal boating) is described as a 'contact sport'. to me that means contacting with others, rather than crashing into them..

Any thoughts??

Sonning Bridge can be entertaining. I followed one of the Salter's Steamers out of the lock going downstream and had to go so slow that I lost steerage way. As he manouvered through the bridge he went heavily aground and went full ahead to the accompaniment of horrible grating-on-gravel sounds and a rooster-tail plume of propwash.

Shouldn't be a problem for a NB though.

Any thoughts??

This is pretty much the practice we adopt as well, and it normally works wonderful; or at least till I get so tied up in a conversation I've forgot to pay attention to what I'm meant to be doing and him at the back gives me a shout clapping.gif

It's just about the most dangerous place on the entire system when there has been a bit of rain.

Going upstream is fine, but downstream is a nightmare. On the Thames there are red boards to advise you not to navigate, but there is nothing on the Kennet. The river flows very fast, and the charming old town bridge is just after a blind corner. If you have a heavy boat you will bulid up considerable momentum, and when the river changes direction you will carry straight on - into the bridge.

No need to ask how I know that....

Edited by George94