FMC Bramble

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Bit of a long shot, this....

I've been to see Bramble today at Stourport, with a view to signwriting, graining and decorating the cabin. She's owned by a local trust, the intention being to use her as an educational resource in the basin. The boat has obviously had restorative work done. This includes a new steel cabin and engine room, both longer than the original works would have been. My contact only has partial knowledge of the last decade of the boats recent history. Can anyone put flesh on the bones? Apparently she was gifted to the trust by BW and volunteers have worked on her since.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Ian and Pete

I'd heard that she'd been shortened to tug length, subsequently stretched again to virtually full length now. I'll speak to Ian Kemp soon to see what he knows. I think that the steerer in the photo is Ron Withey.

Dave

Thanks Ian and Pete

I'd heard that she'd been shortened to tug length, subsequently stretched again to virtually full length now. I'll speak to Ian Kemp soon to see what he knows. I think that the steerer in the photo is Ron Withey.

Dave

You might need a night in the "Bird" for all of that story to come out.

From when it left Dadfords to the state it is in now is not a good reflection on the 'volunteers' and what they are doing with her.

Hi Dave, Bramble was operated for a while by the Richard Lacy who ran the Historic Working boat project for BW, he arranged funding for her to be restored to full length and arranged for most of the work to be done IIRC, sadly he passed away before the work was finished but may have arranged for her to pass on to the group who now operate her. I sincerely hope major mention is made of him in any history that is recorded.

Paul Hunter may know more about the details as I am well out of the loop these days.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Andy.

I've yet to speak with Ian Kemp to ascertain details of work done at Dadfords.

A quick update.....I completed my work on Bramble last week. She was " launched " at Stourport yesterday with the mayor and Richard Parry in attendance, along with CRT staff, volunteers and representatives from the charity who now own and run her. The plan is to use her as an educational resource, apparently there is much interest among local schools.

There is still work to be done, primarily engine refurbishment, though this will be funding led.

Cheers all

Dave

Thanks Andy.

I've yet to speak with Ian Kemp to ascertain details of work done at Dadfords.

A quick update.....I completed my work on Bramble last week. She was " launched " at Stourport yesterday with the mayor and Richard Parry in attendance, along with CRT staff, volunteers and representatives from the charity who now own and run her. The plan is to use her as an educational resource, apparently there is much interest among local schools.

There is still work to be done, primarily engine refurbishment, though this will be funding led.

Cheers all

Dave

Did u get any pictures Dave?

I'll post them here if you want.

Thanks Mark

The final image is of the actual launch, when a billy can of beer was poured (wasted ) over the counter, watched by the local Mayor and Richard Parry. The fenders are courtesy of Joe Hollingshead.

Cheers

Dave

Who???

Bramble's Fellows, Morton & Clayton livery, painted by signwriter Trevor Bowen, will be revealed and Trevor will be in the Upper Basin, to demonstrate his skills to visitors.

Read more: http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/Restored-narrowboat-launched-today/story-26221177-detail/story.html#ixzz3VoQbdiJ2

Follow us: @BCBugle on Twitter | BCBugle on Facebook

Thanks Jim.

The name is unknown to me. The only signwriting Trevor I know is Trevor Counsell who lives near Norbury. Who invents this stuff, I wonder? I was there on Thursday and there was no one waggling a paint brush. - honest!

Dave