Removal of mooring in Whaley Bridge

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

I have discovered today, that CRT have put Strictly no Mooring Signs on the Bugsworth Arm above Tesco Nd re removing the rings

I've counted that there are a total of 8 visitor moorings on the UPF, 3 almost unusable in Marple, then 5 in Whaley. The canal passes through 2 towns, and 2 villages, past 3 train stations and the Tesco is the first large facility near the canal since Kidsgrove and the only one easily accessible for the disabled.

There are over 500 yds of empty moorings in Whaley, and only online permanent moorings at new mills. Its ridiculous.

My query is, who, if anyone does CRT consult on these decisions?

Do you mean the length from the bridge at tesco going upto the basin at Whaley bridge?

Seems very strange as you say....does anyone know why they now say no mooring? It's very handy for tesco and wandering into town...there were only a couple of useable moorings in the basin when we were there a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Gareth

I read that as the moorings that were on the right, ie non towpath side, as you entered the Bugsworth Arm, immediately past the footbridge. From there you could walk down into the Tesco car park just by the recycling bins.

The first time I went there I thought they were permanent moorings but they were empty last May when we visited last.

When we visited Bugsworth basin in September last year, the moorings above Tesco were full and they looked like long term moorings, not visitor moorings. We had planned to stop there and visit Tescos but we had to go into the basin and walk back. If they were VMs the boats had a look of permanency about them which you don't usually see with VMs. The same boats were there when we left a few days later, having been delayed with engine problems.

I seem to remember that the least time we were there (a few years ago) these were LTMs.

haggis

I read that as the moorings that were on the right, ie non towpath side, as you entered the Bugsworth Arm, immediately past the footbridge.

That's correct - they used to be permanent moorings some years ago but are now 14 day. A 'no mooring' sign was placed there about a year ago but it didn't last long.

I read that as the moorings that were on the right, ie non towpath side, as you entered the Bugsworth Arm, immediately past the footbridge. From there you could walk down into the Tesco car park just by the recycling bins.

The first time I went there I thought they were permanent moorings but they were empty last May when we visited last.

AFAIIA these were never official moorings but became popular with long term moorers "moving round the corner" to avoid sporadic vandalism on the official moorings.

More recently, and I may be wrong in this, this area has become popular with boaters not holding a long term permit round the corner.

Who knows, perhaps CRT are trying to encourage boaters back onto the long term moorings.

George ex nb Alton retired

Alf's sarcastic comment above is fine, but I'm afraid the "No Mooring" signs are a result of people taking the piss. There were for a considerable time a quantity of continuous cruisers permamently moored there - one at least complained bitterly of harrassment when he was told to move.

Alf's sarcastic comment above is fine, but I'm afraid the "No Mooring" signs are a result of people taking the piss. There were for a considerable time a quantity of continuous cruisers permamently moored there - one at least complained bitterly of harrassment when he was told to move.

In the two years I've been visiting the area, I've never seen anyone 'permanently' moored there. There always appeared to be a good turnover of boats, and was often completely empty.

Seems like once again the action of the few might have implications for the masses....but hey they were probably hard done by and should be allowed to moor for free wherever they choose......

Cheers

Gareth

Ah all the fault of CCers then. Funny because when I was lat there it was empty. And if it was a problem with boaters overstaying what was wrong with enforcement. Are you saying that whenever boats overstay moorings should be closed?

Seems like once again the action of the few might have implications for the masses....but hey they were probably hard done by and should be allowed to moor for free wherever they choose......

Cheers

Gareth

And your evidence for this is what?

great. that's that problem sorted then. got rid of the scum.

it won't affect you though, so that's great. Result.

hang on a minute ... I've just realised.

it does affect you.

so, let me get this right, CRT got rid of all mooring in the area rather deal with a specific problem with specific boat(s) using powers they have to deal with this sort of issue.

and you think this is fine?

that's solved that problem.

let's examine this. the way to deal with unauthorised mooring in London is to make all mooring illegal?

im not sure you're seeing the issues with this solution.

tell you what....

why don't you go back to blaming a few boats and saying 'it doesn't affect me'

Ah all the fault of CCers then. Funny because when I was lat there it was empty. And if it was a problem with boaters overstaying what was wrong with enforcement. Are you saying that whenever boats overstay moorings should be closed?

And your evidence for this is what?

I think they are, I really do think they are.

When out boating this year I plan to go to that Tesco and to moor in Bugsworth basin for a few days.

Isn't Bugsworth 48 hours only? I left Cygnet for a few days a couple of years ago, but got permission from the occupants of the WRG hut - do they still have authority to do this?

There were two boats from the long term moorings moored there, apparently, they didn't like the boats going past accepted towards the Basin at Whaley and the vandalism, but new T&C address this. It means that when the marina is extended at Furness Vale, you would not be able to moor anywhere much on that section of canal. However, how does CRT decide? I don't know of anyone who complained. We have moored there before now, good for the dogs and if you wanted to do work on your boat as you weren't disrupting the towpath

Ahhh....do you mean the bit just into the arm that goes to bugsworth basin on the offside?.....I was thinking you meant the part going down to Whaley bridge on the towpath....

Edited to add

If it's the bit I'm now thinking of then I guess it's private property and it may well be that the land owner doesn't want people on it and has asked/paid for CRT to put the signs up. If that's the case then CRT don't really need to ask or consult....it's just like any other part of offside land.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Except that there are rings there. The land in question is the top of the embankment leading to, and including, the aqueduct over the river so is more likely part of the canal.

And the pedestrian/horse underpass I think.