Film "The Boat People"

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I've not seen this before, nd have just latched on to it via Facebook.

Those of us who can't get enough of this kind of thing will probably spend hours pausing it, trying to identify individual boats and families.

Others, I suspect will have no idea why some of us find it so fascinating(!)

Link to video.

The colours, (like much old film), are decidedly off, particularly in respect of how many of the British waterways boats appear.

Plenty to spot on route, including.....

Wyvern Shipping pair, including Victoria with a window in the back cabin, rather than a port hole.

Locks on the GU Birmingham main line with old weighted balance beams.

Several of today's well known boats, like Brighton.

The Fieldings on boat Salvo, (their Salvation Army mission boat), at Sutton Stop.

School Barge Elsdale on dry land at Bulls Bridge.

Ovaltine Boats at Sutton Stop.

Stoke Bruerne, where they appear to be crossing the lock to the Boat, but end up in some other pub completely (!) (Which?).

(For Madcat there are even Grand Union boat fuel tanks out of a boat and on the hard at Bulls Bridge!)

And much, much more?

Which boats and boating families can anybody identify, please?

Edited by DHutch
Video de-embedded.

The booklet seen floating in the canal is quite rare, I featured the transcript spoken in this film in my DVD "waterways in transition". If announced today there would be cries for human rights to be respected, brilliant film so far cant wait to view the rest!

All the people in this film are boaters, the main character is the late Ron Hough, of "The Bargee" fame, and his soon-to-be wife Sylvia. Also seen are her parents, Mr and Mrs Powell (of educational film strip fame) with their boats "Belfast" and "Argus". Ron had the "Banstead" and "Feltham" at the time, and they are glimpsed passing, with Louis Powell on the motor and Ron waving from the butty.Ron is elsewhere seen on the "Belfast". The scenes in the pub were the "Ship" inn at Braunston.

Edited by archie57

All the people in this film are boaters, the main character is the late Ron Hough, of "The Bargee" fame, and his soon-to-be wife Sylvia. Also seen are her parents, Mr and Mrs Powell (of educational film strip fame) with their boats "Belfast" and "Argus". Ron had the "Banstead" and "Feltham" at the time, and they are glimpsed passing, with Louis Powell on the motor and Ron waving from the butty.Ron is elsewhere seen on the "Belfast". The scenes in the pub were the "Ship" inn at Braunston.

As you say the main character is without doubt, Ron Hough and I reckon the man in the pub with the accordian is Jim Collins.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Having done a bit of research on this film I am wondering if it ever was published, despite being connected to Warner and a Pinewood production the one thing lacking from the opening of the film is a BBFC certificate. As the film tells a story using documentary as a background it technically needs a BBFC certificate. Its curious that it takes issue with the intended removal of the boat family way of life as a core but then switches to a different angle finishing with a re visit of the original theme. Whilst BFI has it on their database, nothing further than the basic cast is detailed, IMDB does not list it.

A real find proving you never know what is out there.

All the people in this film are boaters, the main character is the late Ron Hough, of "The Bargee" fame, and his soon-to-be wife Sylvia.

As you say the main character is without doubt, Ron Hough and I reckon the man in the pub with the accordian is Jim Collins.

I'm sure others may see that name and think they recognise it.

To be clear, this is a different Ron Hough to Ron Hough the painter, who trained at Nursers, and still paints today?

That's correct, isn't it?

Are the two related, or is it just one of life's coincidences, please?

Edited by alan_fincher

I've not seen this before, nd have just latched on to it via Facebook.

Those of us who can't get enough of this kind of thing will probably spend hours pausing it, trying to identify individual boats and families.

Others, I suspect will have no idea why some of us find it so fascinating(!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QSlbj23pM

The colours, (like much old film), are decidedly off, particularly in respect of how many of the British waterways boats appear.

Plenty to spot on route, including.....

Wyvern Shipping pair, including Victoria with a window in the back cabin, rather than a port hole.

Locks on the GU Birmingham main line with old weighted balance beams.

Several of today's well known boats, like Brighton.

The Fieldings on boat Salvo, (their Salvation Army mission boat), at Sutton Stop.

School Barge Elsdale on dry land at Bulls Bridge.

Ovaltine Boats at Sutton Stop.

Stoke Bruerne, where they appear to be crossing the lock to the Boat, but end up in some other pub completely (!) (Which?).

(For Madcat there are even Grand Union boat fuel tanks out of a boat and on the hard at Bulls Bridge!)

And much, much more?

Which boats and boating families can anybody identify, please?

linked to the photos to appear in the next Narrowboat magazine. posted by Dean Wallington who is

part of my extensive boating family community in Coventry family links include Best, Jackson,Wallington, Humphries. wain, Lapworth & many more

• Greenie 1

I'm sure others may see that name and think they recognise it.

To be clear, this is a different Ron Hough to Ron Hough the painter, who trained at Nursers, and still paints today?

That's correct, isn't it?

Are the two related, or is it just one of life's coincidences, please?

Yes, this is a different Ron Hough, and no relation of Ron Hough the painter.

There is something of a coincidence here though. A little while ago there was a thread on here about Sam Horne which also had a lot in it about Bert Wallington. After they finished on the boats both Ron and Bert went 'on the Company', both on Hilmorton Section and frequently worked together, more often than not with 'Tycho', dredging and icebreaking and such.

Yes, this is a different Ron Hough, and no relation of Ron Hough the painter.

There is something of a coincidence here though. A little while ago there was a thread on here about Sam Horne which also had a lot in it about Bert Wallington. After they finished on the boats both Ron and Bert went 'on the Company', both on Hilmorton Section and frequently worked together, more often than not with 'Tycho', dredging and icebreaking and such.

Bert & this Ron Hough are both close related they where also both related to Sam Horne hence the connections after their boating days.

Tony you seen to have known several of my family connections so you would understand how they where & still are their own community & most

with boating connections are realated somewhere along their lines.

I am still discovering connections & making contact with some

There were 3 Ron Houghs in fact, although one (perhaps fortunately!) went to Australia. They were cousins I believe.

Yes I believe two of the Ron Hough's were distant cousins. I was speaking To Mike Humphries on Wednesday and he backed this up. I stand to be corrected but I believe what I will call The Exhall Ron Hough died quite recently?

Tony, Mike was also telling me that he worked with Tyco for a while.

Edited by Ray T

Bert & this Ron Hough are both close related they where also both related to Sam Horne hence the connections after their boating days.

Tony you seen to have known several of my family connections so you would understand how they where & still are their own community & most

with boating connections are realated somewhere along their lines.

I am still discovering connections & making contact with some

I do understand what you mean about being their own community. The times I spent living amongst and working with those of them who were either still boating, or 'on the Company' or otherwise still connected with the Cut in some way, are a source of some of the best and fondest memories I have, and I count myself as being very privileged and lucky to have known them. One of my greatest regrets in life is not being born a few years earlier than I was, and so not having a few more years of that way of life before it all ended.

If you don't mind my asking, what relation are you to Joe Harrison, and also Mark Harrison and his brother in law Tom Humphries.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Yes I believe two of the Ron Hough's were distant cousins. I was speaking To Mike Humphries on Wednesday and he backed this up. I stand to be corrected but I believe what I will call The Exhall Ron Hough died quite recently?

Tony, Mike was also telling me that he worked with Tyco for a while.

I don't know Mike Humphries , do you know his father's name ?

I don't know Mike Humphries , do you know his father's name ?

Mike worked for both Barlow and S E Barlow as well as BW. His Dad was Bill. There is a picture of Bill Humphries on page 9 of the Autumn 2006 edition of NarrowBoat.

Mike is back row second from the left.

15223955829_78331fd429_z.jpgMike Humpheries

Photo from the Sonia Rolt / Robert Longdon book "A Canal People".

Edited by Ray T