Historic Fishing vessel for sale for £1

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

For those that cant read the article

One of the UK’s oldest fishing boats has gone on sale – for £1.

The 75ft Excellent, built in 1931, is also a piece of maritime history and may even have been used in the legendary “Heroes of Telemark” raid during World War II.

The trawler was based in Scotland for part of the conflict and used for “clandestine” operations in Norwegian waters.

Last night, one historian said it was “absolutely possible” that the Excellent was one of the craft that helped in the successful sabotage of the Nazi’s atom bomb facility in Norway.

The wooden boat is the oldest registered British fishing vessel in her class – over 12 metres (40ft).

Excellent-boat-2.jpg?w=440
The 75ft Excellent fishing boat

Its current owners, fishing firm Stevensons Newlyn, based in Newlyn, Cornwall, say the knock-down price reflects the amount of restoration work it needs.

In its “for sale” advert, the company says “Her wartime service has still to be fully researched but is believed to include clandestine trips to Norway.

“She was requisitioned by the Admiralty, for which the Stevenson family received £35 a month in return.

“During the war she was used as an Admiralty motorised fishing vessel in Scottish waters.”

Dr Phillips O’Brien, reader in history at Glasgow University, said the boat may have been used to help with the Norwegian heavy water sabotage operation.

The daring mission prevented the German nuclear energy project from creating an atomic bomb – and provided the story for the 1965 film, The Heroes of Telemark, starring Richard Harris and Kirk Douglas.

Mr O’Brien said: “The Norwegian coast is incredibly long, but the Germans didn’t patrol the whole thing, so you could get aid into the Norwegian resistance.

“If they brought in people by boat or supplies that is the type of boat it would come in on.”

In his book on the subject historian Jerome Preisler said shipyard workers would undertake the dangerous work of spying on the Nazis.

He wrote: “Some hid themselves at frequently travelled transit routes along the shore, tracking the movements of German vessels through binoculars and telescopes.

“Norwegian ship watchers also used a fleet of sixteen wooden fishing trawlers to ply the fjords and inlets near German garrisons and collect critical information about their activities.”

Thanks for posting that..........I shudder to think what restoration would cost.....she was originally fitted with a Petter "Atomic" engine (according to the historic ships register).......apt as she was supposed to be involved in the Telemark raid

Thanks to Pete and Helen for posting the text and pic, and no thanks to James Owen for the anti-Scottish sneer.

I actually read about it in The Times, but posted the Press & Journal link because it seemed to be readable without subscription (via Google).

I'm not sure what all that wartime stuff has to do with the boat, and nor do the sellers it seems. Its all heavily qualified with 'could be' and 'not fully researched' type comments. Probably they HAVE researched a bit (or a lot) and come up with nothing or they'd be saying so.

Pretty boat all the same.

And the Petter 'Atomic' engine is a two stroke semi diesel much the same as a Seffle or Kromhout.

MtB

Methinks the owners are looking at a large bill for disposal!

Good luck to them but will anyone really be interested? My grandfather owned and worked this steam drifter, there were thousands of them at the time and they replaced sailboats, but I wonder if there are any left now?

boyandrew1w.jpg

Or the sail powered ones? No shortage of these back in the day!

frharbour.jpg

g03631.jpg

I'm not sure what all that wartime stuff has to do with the boat, and nor do the sellers it seems. Its all heavily qualified with 'could be' and 'not fully researched' type comments. Probably they HAVE researched a bit (or a lot) and come up with nothing or they'd be saying so.

Pretty boat all the same.

And the Petter 'Atomic' engine is a two stroke semi diesel much the same as a Seffle or Kromhout.

MtB

Not quite, it's a cold start 2-stroke full diesel.

Edit to add:-

Tim

Edited by Timleech

That's a Scottish boat and I think the Shetland bus was operated using Norwegian built boats that had escaped when the Nazis invaded.

Brave men for dark and desperate times . We owe them all so much.

I think you are right, my friend did buy his boat in Norway.