long shot advice sought

naema sufi

Featured Posts

The other half and I bought a boat from blissworth about 3 years ago, we now want to split up. I know I signed papers at the marina, never seen them again. Is there any way I can find out. EX is now saying its all his boat and I should leave. Not happy about that cos put a lot into it, all done on trust and luv apart from oven I got by debit card,

Starting again at 60 on basic minimum wage is a bit galling

The other half and I bought a boat from blissworth about 3 years ago, we now want to split up. I know I signed papers at the marina, never seen them again. Is there any way I can find out. EX is now saying its all his boat and I should leave. Not happy about that cos put a lot into it, all done on trust and luv apart from oven I got by debit card,

You need to go and see a solicitor. Or at least pay a vist to the CAB.

Edit: I note you don't say who actually paid for the boat? If it was was both of you then you should have no difficulty in getting your share because any evidence he provides to prove his share, will also, by definition, prove yours.

Edited by Dave_P

You should be entitled to a 50 50 split of everything you he owns my advice see a solicitor you may even be entitled to legal aid this comes from someone whoed been there and nearly got hat nailed on by other half good luck

Edited by Puddlejumper

You should be entitled to a 50 50 split of everything you he owns my advice see a solicitor you may even be entitled to legal aid this comes from someone whoed been there and nearly got hat nailed on by other half good luck

You're making some assumptions here. Not least that they were married! Also, as I've stated, we don't know who paid what.

You're making some assumptions here. Not least that they were married! Also, as I've stated, we don't know who paid what.

Very true .....

Sadly I smell a new Mercedes for a solicitor.

If you're not married you should Google "Sharing Property when not married" otherwise it's a lot more straight forward.

Edited by zenataomm

It would be handy if it can be done without solicitors, they will get paid 1st, & get paid a lot, & they'll get paid out of both your money, you'll end up with whatevers left (you as in both of you). However as you have pointed out he reckons it's all his so you may have no choice.
When I split with my wife her family wanted her to keep the house & everything, & me keep all the debts that paid for it. As I pointed out to my wife, we both started with nothing, I paid for it all, & now we should sell it all, pay all the debts, & split the profits equally, otherwise the solicitors will get most of it. Fortunately she saw sense & agreed.

As you are a tarot consultant and witch you must know the outcome of your split up.

:)

. I don't know you from Adam but would strongly advise you disregard all the folk telling you to run to a solicitor, they are lower than a snakes belly and only interested in what they can extract from you and your ex, secondly I have been with my life partner for over thirty years, have never married as I will have nothing to do with religion but as we have children and property together have looked at the legal standing of things as and when they occurred, I have been told by legal types that once you have cohabited for more than six months all property is looked at in exactly the same way as if you were married I.e 50/50 unless you signed a prenuptule agreement and yet until the children reached 16 if anything happened to my wife they would be removed by social services and I would then have to apply for custody, so if I were you I would go and have a chat with the family law centre or citizens advice or any other body that will give you good legal advice without lining there pockets from your misery then move forward from there ,good luck

A friend of mine paid £20,000 for a divorce recently! If you go to a solicitor the value of the boat would need to be huge if either of you won't to see any money! Find out exactly what your fighting for get your evidence and go to the small claims court if you can't amicably agree!

. I have been told by legal types that once you have cohabited for more than six months all property is looked at in exactly the same way as if you were married I.e 50/50 unless you signed a prenuptule agreement

This is completely incorrect, I'm afraid, if commonly held to be true. Lots of reliable advice available on the CAB website: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/relationships_living_together_marriage_and_civil_partnership_e/living_together_and_marriage_legal_differences.htm

Unfortunately if you have been cohabiting you have very few rights, if any at all. It is always best to try and come to an amicable arrangment, but this obviously can be difficult - you can't really just saw a boat in half.There again, your other half also has just as few rights - you tend to have what you own and that's your lot. If you were married, then if you have been together a while you would probably be entitled to half and it's irrelevant how much each put in. Citizen's advice is probably your best first port of call as someone has already suggested - it's good advice and it's free. if you have been working and are in a union, they will also provided you with legal advice.

It is getting increasingly difficult to get legal aid..

No matter how amicable separations are division of worldly goods can bring out the most unpleasant in people.

There is a great deal of bitterness accompanies these issues.

My divorce as with no doubt many others incredibly painful and unpleasant.With events as they were solicitors necessary though they made mistakes.

Non of us infallible.

If you can sort things out do but be careful of any verbal promises..they are apt to change as events dictate.

Citizen advice plus on line forums that deal with separation issues can give good advice.

What you both put in to should be shared..no one person should end up with lions share.

Good luck and keep lines communication open.

Document everything, date time who etc.

No useful advice or knowledge to give but just to say how sorry I feel for you, many of us dream of boats and some of us are fortunate enough to buy one. As you say, starting again at 60 isn't easy whatever the situation but none of us buys a boat expecting to have to split it. I do hope some of the advice people have given proves useful and you manage to salvage some good for the future.

IF you (two) are an unmarried couple then you need to retain a civilised relationship until you have a solution to ALL the issues including where each one of you will live. There is NO easy formula for determining the split of assets unless there is a formal marriage certificate (civil or Church). If there are dependent children then the state may get involved to protect their welfare. I've known splits of 100/nil both ways and one woman who took sequential partners for 100% of everything four times

. I don't know you from Adam but would strongly advise you disregard all the folk telling you to run to a solicitor, they are lower than a snakes belly and only interested in what they can extract from you and your ex, secondly I have been with my life partner for over thirty years, have never married as I will have nothing to do with religion but as we have children and property together have looked at the legal standing of things as and when they occurred, I have been told by legal types that once you have cohabited for more than six months all property is looked at in exactly the same way as if you were married I.e 50/50 unless you signed a prenuptule agreement and yet until the children reached 16 if anything happened to my wife they would be removed by social services and I would then have to apply for custody, so if I were you I would go and have a chat with the family law centre or citizens advice or any other body that will give you good legal advice without lining there pockets from your misery then move forward from there ,good luck

I do hope you have made a will. I know someone whose partner died. His parents inherited their house, as his next of kin. They couldn't afford the mortgage so the house was sold and the surviving partner got nothing.