Going to London.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

I'll have to give way to the better informed, but I believe that the relaxation of VHF requirement only applies to the Brentford to Teddington reach. For certain length boats.

From Brentford to Limehouse you need a radio whatever your size.

Note to self: look that up tomorrow!

I thought it was that you didn't need VHF at all Brentford to Teddington then there was the length of boat taken into account outward bound from Brentford or in from Limehouse.

Someone will look that up tonight. Have a feeling Scholar Gypsy will know this as they do regular runs, and RichardN too I think.

:)

I thought it was that you didn't need VHF at all Brentford to Teddington then there was the length of boat taken into account outward bound from Brentford or in from Limehouse.

Someone will look that up tonight. Have a feeling Scholar Gypsy will know this as they do regular runs, and RichardN too I think.

smile.png

Well, you did ask... An extract from the current PLA General Directions is below. I think in plain English this means (noting that the term narrow boat is not defined)

• any narrowboat can transit between Brentford & Teddington (clause 1a), contacting VTS by telephone (3)

• any pleasure vessel, not planning to fish, and less than 13.7m, can go anywhere without a radio (clause 1) - I agree with comments above about the wisdom of doing this

• a convoy of boats over that length can go down as far as Bow Creek (1b), provided one of them has VHF, can speak English (clause 5d), and can communicate by phone, walkie talkie, shouting or semaphore to the others (1b iii), and that they give 7 days notice (4a)

I am not quite sure what the rules are for a 40 foot coal boat - that might count as bunkering .... In practice the third rule applies to well organised convoys going down through the Barrier. When we went to Gravesend we all had VHF and we a had a serious safety boat as well.

========================

4. USE OF VHF RADIO
(1) With the exception of General Directions 4.2, this Direction shall apply to:
• Reporting Vessels;
• Passenger Boats;
• Tugs;
• Bunker Vessels;
• Vessels engaged or intending to engage in fishing; and
• Vessels of 13.7m or more in length overall
except:
a) narrow boats greater than 13.7m in length overall navigating between Brentford
and Teddington;
B) Pleasure Vessels greater than 13.7m in length overall navigating to the west of
Bow Creek, provided that:
i) they are travelling in company or a flotilla;
ii) they are not the lead vessel of that company or flotilla; and
iii) there is a lead vessel, which complies with the requirements of this
Direction and is able to communicate immediately and effectively with all
other vessels in the company or flotilla; or
c) vessels under oars.
(2) On all vessels fitted with VHF radio, the Master shall ensure that VHF channels
utilised by London VTS are used only for reporting safety of navigation, emergency
and urgent communications and for no other purpose. All such VHF
communications shall comply with the guidelines contained within IMO Resolution
A.954/23 (proper use of VHF channels at sea).
Note: London VTS Operates on the following VHF channels;
Outer Limits to Sea Reach No.4 Buoy – Channel 69
Sea Reach No.4 to Crayfordness – Channel 68
Crayfordness to Teddington – Channel 14
(3) A narrow boat excepted under Directions 4. (1) a) above, shall call London VTS by
telephone and report it’s estimated time of departure from the point of departure and
estimated time of arrival at it’s destination.
(4) Any vessel or group of vessels planning to exercise the exemption under
Direction 4. (1) B) above, shall either individually or through the lead vessel:
a) provide at least 7 days notice to the Harbourmaster of their intention to navigate
on the Thames;
B) comply with any conditions for their passage required by the Harbourmaster; and
c) report, through the lead vessel, to London VTS prior to commencing navigation
on the Thames, providing details of the vessels involved, their destination and
estimated time of arrival. Upon completion of the passage the lead vessel shall
inform London VTS of their arrival.
(5) On every vessel to which this Direction applies, at all times when underway or at
anchor there shall be:
a) an operational VHF radio capable of communicating with a Harbourmaster at the
VTS Centres;
B) an effective, continuous listening watch maintained on the VHF channel
appropriate to that part of the Thames in which it is navigating or lying;
c) compliance with the communications requirements set out in these Directions for
the use of VHF radio; and
d) manning and operation of the VHF radio by a suitably qualified person, capable
of communicating effectively in English.
(6) Prior to a vessel’s departure from a berth, pier or anchorage, the appropriate PLA VHF
channel shall be monitored for information that may affect the safe navigation of the
vessel, including the routine half-hourly VHF navigation information broadcast made
immediately prior to the intended departure time.
Note: Notwithstanding that only Reporting Vessels routinely report their movements
(see General Direction 13), other than in the Thames Barrier Control Zone
(see General Direction 27), other vessels to which this Direction applies
should generally “listen and learn” from VHF radio traffic. They must
however, report in an emergency and when required by the Harbourmaster.
(7) Reports by Specified Vessels navigating in the Thames shall always be prefixed with
the word ‘SPECIFIED’ in any VHF communication with a VTS Centre or other vessel.

I understood your summary but not the rest!

Our early ventures onto the tideway were without a VHF radio, once the rules changed we got a radio and I have to say I wish we had always had one. It is like having another sense, the commercial traffic chatter is very helpful, so one occasion a tug towing rubbish barges could not get over to the arch with the isophase light on so did something random except it was not really random as we had heard on the VHF what he was going to do and got out the way. If you are going below Brentford then I would say get a VHF radio so you can maintain a listening watch even if you are under 13.7m. If you can get yourself licensed even better.

I have been travelling a bit for work so may have missed this but just in case no one has mentioned it: Before you venture out part of your preparation should be to look at the PLA's Notices to Mariners. They will tell you about river races, arch closures etc.

Edit: Link added

Edited by RichardN

I understood your summary but not the rest!

Our early ventures onto the tideway were without a VHF radio, once the rules changed we got a radio and I have to say I wish we had always had one. It is like having another sense, the commercial traffic chatter is very helpful, so one occasion a tug towing rubbish barges could not get over to the arch with the isophase light on so did something random except it was not really random as we had heard on the VHF what he was going to do and got out the way. If you are going below Brentford then I would say get a VHF radio so you can maintain a listening watch even if you are under 13.7m. If you can get yourself licensed even better.

I have been travelling a bit for work so may have missed this but just in case no one has mentioned it: Before you venture out part of your preparation should be to look at the PLA's Notices to Mariners. They will tell you about river races, arch closures etc.

Edit: Link added

The length over which you require VHF used to be 20m. We (The IWA) queried this and asked for the restriction to be made 22m so that all narrowboats could use the tideway without VHF only to be told that this was impossible as 20m was an international size. The limit was then changes to 13,7m!

Tim

The length over which you require VHF used to be 20m. We (The IWA) queried this and asked for the restriction to be made 22m so that all narrowboats could use the tideway without VHF only to be told that this was impossible as 20m was an international size. The limit was then changes to 13,7m!

Tim

I'm not sure that it is entirely sensible for any narrowboat to use the main tideway without a VHF radio. It's asking for trouble.

And just to clarify for people who may be a little unsure about it - you can in fact use a marine VHF to make a transmission in an emergency even if you are not licensed to operate a marine VHF radio :rolleyes:

This may seem a bit obvious but what it means is that you carry a VHF even if you are not licensed (marine VHF operator license) and the boat doesn't technically need one, then you use it for listening in to traffic information and if things go wrong badly then you can use it to inform people of what is going on.

OK so its not very professional but better than having no radio !!

And just to clarify for people who may be a little unsure about it - you can in fact use a marine VHF to make a transmission in an emergency even if you are not licensed to operate a marine VHF radio rolleyes.gif

This may seem a bit obvious but what it means is that you carry a VHF even if you are not licensed (marine VHF operator license) and the boat doesn't technically need one, then you use it for listening in to traffic information and if things go wrong badly then you can use it to inform people of what is going on.

OK so its not very professional but better than having no radio !!

And this book from the RYA shop gives you a pretty good idea of what to do. (£14.49, also available as an e-book).

Now personally, I can't stand the place but my ever-supportive girlfriend wants our next long trip to be to central London, and to stay for a couple of days to see the sights (She spent most of her early life abroad and has never had a good look around London).

I gather that London has a bit of a problem with boat overcrowding, so I really just need to know if it will be possible to find a 48 hour visitor mooring somewhere in the central area, where it would be safe to leave the boat during the day, and of course if there are any other hints, tips or cheats about visiting London.

You don't necessarily have to go right into London to have a great visit. You can easily get into the heart of London via train or tube from: Tring, Berkhamsted, Apsley, Rickmansworth, Uxbridge ... and various beautiful places along the GUC in between . You could then roll right on down to Brentford, catch the rising tide to Teddington, and take in the wonders of the non-tidal Thames. If you missed things earlier on in the Big Smoke its dead easy to get back in from Kingston, Hampton Court (tie up beside the palace), Sunbury, etc.

Thats a good point. In fact the whole of the River from Teddington to Oxford is very well served by rail and if you book tickets in advance you can get some good deals. The scenery is pretty good as well, from the train and from the boat :) . A trip from somewhere like Pangbourne into Paddington is quite pleasant for example.

If I was doing the suggested trip I would probably do exactly what Jim Batty suggests and just bypass London completely.

It is interesting reading but all those lengths where these rings have been installed are already full of boats. And the bit about Rembrant Gardens is obscure, you can book the mooring from 5 Jan, they will open for bookings from 2 Jan but you have to give a months notice. So the earliest you can book is the end of Jan. For myself, I'll just go there and moor, if possible, as CRT don't come back to work until the 5th.

The EASIEST way is FROM Limehouse. (The only scary bit then, is joining the river, after the peace and quiet of Limehouse Marina.

That is true, but having done it both ways several times, in my opinion the BEST way is from Brentford to Limehouse because the views of London just get better and better, and then there's the dramatic turn at the end of your trip which always gets the pulse racing.

Leaving from Limehouse and ending up in the dull west London suburbs at Brentford is a bit of an anti-climax.

Edited by blackrose

Thats a fair point Mike I agree but I think the OP was someone who was going to go on way only and does not have much river experience hence the suggestion of going in towards teddington.

Its lovely going through the pool of London early before the trip boats start :) if you can pick a day to leave Limehouse at say 0500 its magic. Does depend on flexibility of trip dates.

Thats a fair point Mike I agree but I think the OP was someone who was going to go on way only and does not have much river experience hence the suggestion of going in towards teddington.

Its lovely going through the pool of London early before the trip boats start smile.png if you can pick a day to leave Limehouse at say 0500 its magic. Does depend on flexibility of trip dates.

Yes, for anyone on the tideway for the first time I'd recommend going upstream. Mind you, the first time I did the trip it was downstream and I'd only been on the tideway once before from Teddington to Brentford.

• 2 weeks later...

The intention on this summer's cruise is to come down the Grand Union, across London and up the Lee and the Stort before retracing our route and joining the Thames at Brentford. Now we have moored at Paddington and Limehouse several times in the past, but never ventured up the Lee and Stort. We have always managed to find moorings, albeit with a bit of a squeeze, but has the situation changed for casual moorings that much over the last three years (last time we were in London). Also, although we know the Lee and Stort are not stunningly beautiful, we have never been on these rivers and would like to have a look see. How easy are casual moorings there?

Thanks

Edited by Derek Porteous

The Lee and Stort are actually very lovely waterways, the Stort reminding me of the Soar. Even the run through from Hackney is good, a green finger through the city and out.

Once you get past Tottenham, the moorings are fairly good although Stansted Abbots and the very top end in Hertford can be a bit hit and miss, get there early and you should find somewhere.

Oh, and try to find out when and where the local cruising clubs have their cruise/bbq weekends, as that location will be pretty full!!!

Edited by matty40s

Derek

We are in Paddington at present, having come off the Thames at the end of October, cruised through London and up the Lee and Stort and back to spend Christmas in London.

If you are fit, friendly and inventive you shouldn't have any problems finding a mooring. It is a bit peculiar at present due to so much being given over to winter moorings.

There should be no problem on the Paddington Arm until Kensal Green. This might be a good place to moor overnight so as to arrive at Paddington Basin between 11 and 2 which is your best chance of finding a space. Alternatively you can book a weeks mooring at Rembrandt Gardens but there's only space for 2 boats not the 3 that the original CRT notice says.

If you are a member of a cruising club affiliated to the AWCC you might get a space at St Pancras Cruising Club but it looked as if anything longer than 50 ft might struggle. Otherwise you can book a mooring at the London Canal Museum for £8 a night including power. Pick the right day and you might be able to stay 2 nights.

After that it will be double mooring until Limehouse where there are 24 hour moorings. Mooring in the cut might be a bit difficult now but at Three Mills you'll probably find space. There is always the pontoon for the WaterBus which doesn't seem to run anymore.

There were several spots near the Olympic Park and after that no problems. The Stort has plenty of mooring spots and is a very pleasant river. Just watch the bridges at Roydon, the railway bridge is the lowest of the 3 so if you just scrape under the first you might not on the others.

Take every opportunity to fill your water and empty your toilet. In the 2 months or so we've been here there have been 6 or 7 emails from CRT to say one of the facilities are closed. Avoid Stone bridge unless you're desperate. There is a water point at the next lock up. Depending on how old your Nicholson's is, it might show a number of water points that no longer exist.

At your first opportunity get a free bus map and street map. There is a large TIC by St Paul's.If you have a bus pass then you can moor almost anywhere and find a bus that will take you into the city without having to change. And every bus seems to have a display telling you the next stop so no worry of not getting off at the right place.

Edited by pearley

I am just recently back from my annual winter migration into London - Paddington Arm and the Regents as far as Camden. After years of discovering the mooring situation deteriorating year after year, I was enormously pleased to find great improvements this year. Whatever CaRT are doing, they are getting it right. No more did I find long lines of dilapidated boats pilled-up long-term on the visitors moorings or any other vacant space. I found a lovely visitors mooring in Paddington Basin, 7-Days, which was more than I needed in one place. There were other spots available too. The Paddington Basin Arm now seemed to be populated entirely by boats that had reason to be there.

However it is being achieved, top marks to CaRT. It was quite reminiscent of my early days of boating, when CCing meant something different to today's static interpretation!

The intention on this summer's cruise is to come down the Grand Union, across London and up the Lee and the Stort before retracing our route and joining the Thames at Brentford. Now we have moored at Paddington and Limehouse several times in the past, but never ventured up the Lee and Stort. We have always managed to find moorings, albeit with a bit of a squeeze, but has the situation changed for casual moorings that much over the last three years (last time we were in London). Also, although we know the Lee and Stort are not stunningly beautiful, we have never been on these rivers and would like to have a look see. How easy are casual moorings there?

Thanks

We did this in September -- through London, Duckett's Cut, Lee and Stort, back to Limehouse, and then the tidal Thames (a much better option than slogging all the way back to Brentford to get onto the river).

On the Lee we moored above Waltham Town Lock -- blog for that day here.

Then Hertford -- blog for that day here.

Then back down to the junction and onto the Stort, mooring at Sawbridgeworth. The official mooring is one boat long and by a road, so we ended up stopping above the lock -- blog for that day here.

Then we completed the trip to Bishop's Stortford, but didn't have time to stop (we knew what day we needed to be at Limehouse for the tide). We moored at Hunsdon Mill Lock, where there's a long stretch of bollards -- blog here.

Next day back to Waltham Town Lock, where in the afternoon we visited the White Water Centre, which is well worth a visit -- blog here.

Then down to Limehouse -- blog here.

There were plenty of other places we could have stopped, had we had the time.

From there is was onto the tidal Thames -- blog here -- and then onto the Wey before coming back up the GU.

That official visitor mooring at Sawbridgeworth is cxxx. The bank is 4 foot high, the water is only 2 foot deep and there is only the pillar of an old crane to moor to. Better to go above the lock where there is several hundred metres of piling.

You missed a very pleasant town by not stopping in Bishops Stortford.

I would agree with WJM to a certain extent. Although we always found moorings where we wanted without problems, there seemed to be plenty of boats apparently overstaying in the stretch outside the station entrance. There are a couple of boats that are moored in the same spots now as when we were there in November. Of course, they may have gone away and come back like we did!

Edited by pearley