Creating a digital log?

floatsyourboat

Featured Posts

Personally I will find it enjoyable to keep a log of our travels for reasons that have naff all to do with CRT but as a by product if I was ever questioned about my cruising habits for whatever reason the blog would simply stop any accusations in their tracks dead!

That's making life easy for me first and foremost not CRT!

Granted such information like anything else can be used ethically or unethically by the powers that be!

We have kept a written log since buying the boat and started a blog in 2010 I believe it was so that friends and family could keep up with where we have been and what we have been up too.

We also find it enjoyable and they are great to look back at and jog the memory.

Our cruising patterns have never come into question with either BW or more recently crt so we keep the log for our own benefit.

Hopefully Nigel will quote the current law, but here's a relevant section from the 1995 version of the BW law:

The applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

It seems to me boaters who care about consistency have a choice: either

• Don't whine about the (naturally imperfect) current system for verifying that boats aren't "breaking the rules", particularly complaints about the money being best spent on canal maintenance, or
  • Make a careful and verifiable log of CaRT-relevant boat movements via, for example, photos which include GPS coordinates and the date the picture was taken in the EXIF metadata

An automated system based around the second approach (mobile phones for boaters, a relatively simple IT system for CaRT) would be dramatically cheaper than the current "manual" approach, and would certainly free up a significant amount of money for maintenance or improvements.

In the meantime an excellent interim solution would be widespread use of photos, a blog, or one of the apps mentioned above.

NB:

You can see EXIF data for a jpeg using Windows (W 8 anyway): r-click on the file / properties / details.

(PS: yes I know it's possible to modify it. I even know how, and have the necessary technical skill to write a program to do so. But I didn't suggest that CaRT stop all their checking.)

Edited by Gordias

Being a Shared boat we have a day to a page diary on board which we record where the boat has been, what work each owner has done to the boat, engine hours, and anything of interest. Not only is this a good way to communicate between the different owners and crews but also makes pleasant reading in the evenings with a glass or two and seeing where the boat has been in the past. Good for recommending moorings, pubs and things to do. Due to the cruising nature of a shared boat I suspect unlikely we will ever need to use it to prove our cruising habits 'to the board' however if so it is well documented!

In addition I have a Imray Navigators Log Book ( http://www.force4.co.uk/imray-looseleaf-logbook.html?gclid=CP7Ej_KEp8ICFdQZtAodDCQA7Q#.VH2FgE2g7cs ) which I keep track of day to day items which interest me, engine hours run, fuel consumed etc. As I professionally have to keep a number of log books up to-date it is second nature to do so but also it is nice to look back in the dark winter to plan trips when spring is here!

Hopefully Nigel will quote the current law, but here's a relevant section from the 1995 version of the BW law:

It seems to me boaters who care about consistency have a choice: either

• Don't whine about the (naturally imperfect) current system for verifying that boats aren't "breaking the rules", particularly complaints about the money being best spent on canal maintenance, or
  • Make a careful and verifiable log of CaRT-relevant boat movements via, for example, photos which include GPS coordinates and the date the picture was taken in the EXIF metadata

An automated system based around the second approach (mobile phones for boaters, a relatively simple IT system for CaRT) would be dramatically cheaper than the current "manual" approach, and would certainly free up a significant amount of money for maintenance or improvements.

In the meantime an excellent interim solution would be widespread use of photos, a blog, or one of the apps mentioned above.

NB:

You can see EXIF data for a jpeg using Windows (W 8 anyway): r-click on the file / properties / details.

(PS: yes I know it's possible to modify it. I even know how, and have the necessary technical skill to write a program to do so. But I didn't suggest that CaRT stop all their checking.)

Thats a good point really as the less money CRT have to spend on enforcement the more money they will have to spend on more important services like maintenance

I simply with my school Parker 51 fountain pen write my blog in a Silverline exercise book. They're bloomin good, they come with your times tables, weights and measures and stuff on the back.

Remind me again, how many pecks in a bushel? smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

I think there is an app 'boat manager' which lets you keep a form of log, including pictures and gps location. Maybe if anyone has used it they could comment?

I use the Boat Manger app on the iPhone. Link to the developers page:

http://www.kiwiobjects.com/en/KiWi_Objects_-_Motors_Co_for_iPhone.html

It had a log section which allows you to enter destination and notes along with GPS location, a photo and engine hours which I find handy to track my travels.

I use the Boat Manger app on the iPhone. Link to the developers page:

http://www.kiwiobjects.com/en/KiWi_Objects_-_Motors_Co_for_iPhone.html

It had a log section which allows you to enter destination and notes along with GPS location, a photo and engine hours which I find handy to track my travels.

Brilliant app which does much more than just keeping a log.

Well I would of thought its crt's job to do the logging of where and how long boats are moored

So would I, but that isn't what the laws says.

You would have them spend money on logging boats that could otherwise be spent on maintenance?

MtB

MtB

We have kept a written log since buying the boat and started a blog in 2010 I believe it was so that friends and family could keep up with where we have been and what we have been up too.

We also find it enjoyable and they are great to look back at and jog the memory.

Our cruising patterns have never come into question with either BW or more recently crt so we keep the log for our own benefit.

Mine started to let mum and dad know what we were up to and a few friends, from there it grew to a blog and mum and dad are no longer here to read it.

It's a thoroughly bad idea, and I very much hope that others aren't doing it.

We are fortunate to live in a country where we can travel freely and live our lives without being under daily personal surveillance by secretive and sinister Government agencies constantly demanding that we account for our movements and carry papers authorising us to be wherever we are. Are you really suggesting that anyone should do anything which may just give ideas to a failing navigation authority that has already displayed the inclination to behave in a high handed, unreasonable and dictatorial manner, to introduce practices and methods that will contribute to even the slightest erosion of that precious freedom ? It could turn out to be the thin end of a very ominous wedge.

It does sound a bit like the same old record playing again. I don't think that British Waterways were exactly top of your Xmas Card list and now you wish for CRT to fail, I think that you need to be very careful what you wish for.

I certainly isn't beyond the ability of this (or the next) Government to offload the entire canal system onto a Private Company whose sole interest will be profit. They wont care what the numbers of boats are just as long as they get the money coming in, how would a yearly licence of £8000 sound? Yes it would create an exodus from the canals leaving them to those who could afford extortionate licence fees. Of course you may wish to argue that some law would prevent them from doing so (remind me, who writes the laws?). And if they couldn't offload the system they could just remove all funding from it (much as they are doing with Local Councils) all in the name of 'austerity'. So like I said you should be careful what you wish for!

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond