Press release from CRT - Canal charity planning action plan for Regent's Canal

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Here's the press release

CANAL CHARITY PLANNING ACTION PLAN FOR REGENTS CANAL

The Canal & River Trust is meeting with local councils, boaters and residents, to develop an action plan for the Regents Canal throughout Islington and Hackney. By working together they will consider how better to tackle issues such as graffiti and rubbish clearance as well as exploring how to improve the towpath and manage moorings.

While the growth in popularity of Londons waterways has led to conflicting demands between different users, its also created opportunities to enhance the canal and its contribution to local communities. The Trust has been working with Islington and Hackney Councils to identify actions that can be taken collectively to improve the way the canal is managed.

Tonight the Trust is hosting an inaugural meeting at the Canal Museum in Kings Cross. Chief executive Richard Parry and London waterway manager Jon Guest, as well as representatives from Islington Council, will be covering mooring control, community safety, crime, antisocial behaviour and ways that working with local partners and communities can make the Regents Canal a better place for everyone. The charity wants to work with local boaters, residents and stakeholders to think about effective management of the canal.

Sorwar Ahmed, boater liaison manager at the Trust, said: The Regents Canal is busier than ever. This has presented us with a challenge, as its a finite space with lots of people trying to live, work and play alongside each other. Were working with boaters, residents, councils and other stakeholders to try to solve some of the problems. What Im excited about are the ideas and opportunities that come up when we put all these passionate people in the same room. I think that, working together, we could make a real difference to the canal and the community.

The Trust is aiming to have a London-wide Mooring Strategy ready in the spring, which will include a review of mooring capacity and site development opportunities for facilities. In the New Year the Trust will extend the action plan process to engage with residents and boaters in Hackney.

While the Trust will pay for some of the improvements, the charity is hoping to find partnership funding for the benefits that will make things better for the communities that live alongside the Regents Canal.

ENDS

Anyone know what time this is?

It is by invitation only just incase anyone turns up who thinks handing over the management of the canals is a bad idea but then can not imagine anyone doing a worse job than CRT. Guess we will soon need a rule book for all the different areas

Looks like the big clear out is starting, cloaked in a graffitti and rubbish clearance disguise......

Sounds better than boat clearance or Social Cleansing

but maybe thats because everyone else who would otherwise be boating in London assume there is no space so they 'don't go there' which means that there is a little bit of space. if they were all cruising about here and there and generally boating then there would be no space ;)

You are wrong, as usual.

I have moved two boats through London in the last 6 months and found late evening moorings easily both times.

Just because you have found space does not mean I'm wrong, and I've been on Regents Canal a couple of times in the past six months.

This bit needs some attention I think.

Definition of 'London'

I tend to use the definition of Kensal Green gas works to Limehouse Basin, or Hackney Wick if you go down Ducketts, as 'London' in the sense of congestion on moorings. anywhere outside those you can probably find space. If I were "moving boats through London" there would be no need to stop in the congested part because the aim is to move the boat from one place (not London) to another place (not London) and you can get from Kensal Green to Limehouse in a day anyway.

and actually just realised the CRT thing is about the Regent's so that would be Little Venice to Limehouse Basin afaik the rest of it going west is the Paddington Arm and East is Limehouse Cut and Lea navigation, and Ducketts cut. So they do seem to be concentrating on a particular area.

Edited by magnetman

This bit needs so attention I think.

Definition of 'London'

I tend to use the definition of Kensal Green gas works to Limehouse Basin, or Hackney Wick if you go down Ducketts, as 'London' in the sense of congestion on moorings. anywhere outside those you can probably find space. If I were "moving boats through London" there would be no need to stop in the congested part because the aim is to move the boat from one place (not London) to another place (not London) and you can get from Kensal Green to Limehouse in a day anyway.

and actually just realised the CRT thing is about the Regent's so that would be Little Venice to Limehouse Basin afaik the rest of it going west is the Paddington Arm and East is Limehouse Cut and Lea navigation, and Ducketts cut. So they do seem to be concentrating on a particular area.

Precisely.

SNIP

More like a bubble surrounding the posh, vocalised people who live in Islington.