Ecofan repair

MtB

Featured Posts

Sorry to butt in but Bazza2 is not unintelligent by any means and you are somewhat rude and are not "respectful" at all IMHO

I take it you have not met Bazza2 in person? If you had you would be more respectful.

Seconded - well said Ray Edited by Ange

No, I don't. That's why I asked. If you aren't prepared to give a simple answer to a simple question, can I respectfully request that you "go do one" and leave it to more intelligent people to provide a reply?

Nice

I gave the answer I did because anybody who has been on the forum for any length of time at all must be aware that "does an eco-fan work or not?" is one of the perennially asked questions and so is available on the search function very easily.

Now you, as a person who has been around on the forum, and is generally robust in giving your opinion, being pretty much expert at loads of stuff, and having a history of asking questions so that you can make a point, or because it amuses you to stir stuff up, it seemed to me that the most likely option is that you knew exactly what you were doing

Edited by Bazza2
  • Greenie 1

Sorry to butt in but Bazza2 is not unintelligent by any means and you are somewhat rude and are not "respectful" at all, IMHO

I take it you have not met Bazza2 in person? If you had you would be more respectful.

That's very nice of you to say so Ray (I feel a bit embarrassed now)

It is fair to say though, that I have formed my opinion of Southern Star based purely on what I see on the forum. He is entitled, and likely, to do exactly the same about me of course.

That's fair enough

But you were telling us just last week how marvellous your fan is (er... was!) and what a great bit of technological wondrousness kit!

I shall put Stirling Ecofans on my Black List.

Well, I suppose it's Made in Britain and the Brits have to beat the Chinese sometimes in the crap-quality department.

No, I don't. That's why I asked. If you aren't prepared to give a simple answer to a simple question, can I respectfully request that you "go do one" and leave it to more intelligent people to provide a reply?

Why does every thing have to end with an insult from you?

But you were telling us just last week how marvellous your fan is (er... was!) and what a great bit of technological wondrousness kit!

I shall put Stirling Ecofans on my Black List.

Well, I suppose it's Made in Britain and the Brits have to beat the Chinese sometimes in the crap-quality department.

If you mean me, then OH NO I WASN'T!!!!

You're confusing an Ecofan with a Stirling fan. Totally different.

Ecofan:

Electrically powered

Make in USA

Falls of the stove and breaks easily

Looks weedy, is weedy

Stirling-cycle engine fan:

Warm air (Stirling-cycle) powered

Made in UK

Doesn't fall off the stove and break

Looks AMAZING!

IS amazing!

It's my Ecofan that's broken.

Hope that helps...

MtB

Nice

I gave the answer I did because anybody who has been on the forum for any length of time at all must be aware that "does an eco-fan work or not?" is one of the perennially asked questions and so is available on the search function very easily.

Now you, as a person who has been around on the forum, and is generally robust in giving your opinion, being pretty much expert at loads of stuff, and having a history of asking questions so that you can make a point, or because it amuses you to stir stuff up, it seemed to me that the most likely option is that you knew exactly what you were doing

Seconded.

I can see SS is a perfectly intelligent human bean and regular on these boards, so I too was puzzled by his apparent failure to notice the regular threads on Ecofans or think of using the search engine.

Therefore I conclude he HAD, but decided to pretend otherwise.

MtB

Ah, I stand re-educated! I thought the Stirling-cycle engine fan was one of those 'Ecofans' you put on top of the stove... (if so, it would appear you had 2 fans...)

Anyway, I see Ecofans are hot potatoes on Ebay, seem to be very sought after. I thought we could get one to try out, but keep getting out-bidded on Ebay, and in two minds anyway - perhaps it's better to invest in coal & wood. Will be our first time in Winter on our boat at Chrissymas, so perhaps at first we'll just see what our little stove can do just by itself (plus a couple of hot water bottles in the bathroom!).

Our idea, is to get 2 or 4 bricks of soapstone and put them on top of the stove, or make a small wall beside it - will they retain some heat? Will they explode?

Finland has 2 large soapstone quarries around Juuka, by Lake Pielinen, on the eastern side. Watch out Gatwick - incoming rocks!

"Ecofan" is the brand name of the leading manufacturer of Peltier cell powered fans. The Peltier cell is a semiconductor device that generates electricity directly from heat so runs an electric motor to turn the blades. They are so successful that 'ecofan' is turning into a generic term for them.

ecofan.jpg

The "Vulcan fan" is the Sterling-cycle engine powered type, and looks/sounds more like steam engine. uses heating and cooling of air to get rotary motion instead of electricity. Google 'Sterling cycle'. Note the spelling. Often mis-spelled 'stirling'.

$T2eC16NHJIIFHI7i7dzeBSMIKBBBGQ~~60_35.J

The Vulcan fan is physically larger than the Ecofan

MtB

The "Vulcan fan" is the Sterling-cycle engine powered type, and looks/sounds more like steam engine. uses heating and cooling of air to get rotary motion instead of electricity. Google 'Sterling cycle'. Note the spelling. Often mis-spelled 'stirling'.

MtB

Actually, it's a Stirling cycle engine often misspelled Sterling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_cycle

Richard

Ah, I stand re-educated! I thought the Stirling-cycle engine fan was one of those 'Ecofans' you put on top of the stove... (if so, it would appear you had 2 fans...)

Anyway, I see Ecofans are hot potatoes on Ebay, seem to be very sought after. I thought we could get one to try out, but keep getting out-bidded on Ebay, and in two minds anyway - perhaps it's better to invest in coal & wood. Will be our first time in Winter on our boat at Chrissymas, so perhaps at first we'll just see what our little stove can do just by itself (plus a couple of hot water bottles in the bathroom!).

Our idea, is to get 2 or 4 bricks of soapstone and put them on top of the stove, or make a small wall beside it - will they retain some heat? Will they explode?

Finland has 2 large soapstone quarries around Juuka, by Lake Pielinen, on the eastern side. Watch out Gatwick - incoming rocks!

I've always found ebay to be expensive

Check out the prices here: http://www.fireplaceproducts.co.uk/accessories/stove-ecofans/

They're usually the cheapest around

If you mean me, then OH NO I WASN'T!!!!

You're confusing an Ecofan with a Stirling fan. Totally different.

Ecofan:

Electrically powered

Make in USA

Falls of the stove and breaks easily

Looks weedy, is weedy

MtB

Hi,

I thought Eco fans were made in Canada -------- to stop mine being knocked over and damaged I fitted a lanyard which caught it if it fell off the stove.

When Calfire repaired mine they also replaced the motor as part of the service deal.

Your Stirling unit looks good - small Stirling motors are available in the Nauticalia catalogue.

L.

Point of order here, it was Magnetman who asked the question first, why didn't he get the same treatment as SS?

I'm bemused, and a little disturbed, as to why SS's question provoked such a reaction.

This has cropped up before - just because some of us might be bored to death by certain perennial topics doesn't mean someone new to these issues should be dissuaded from raising them again.

Even if there are countless past threads on the issue, people change their opinions, especially with "new" technology

SS might be a regular poster but he is a fairly new boat owner and to me it seemed a perfectly reasonably question to ask in the context of the thread. It never occurred to me that he was being mischievous and it still doesn't. I don't think I would have reacted the way he did, but I'm not surprised.

Occasionally you get members trying to derail a topic with an "oh no not that again" response. If it doesn't interest you then just ignore it, I dont think it helps trying to bully relatively new members into thinking twice before they ask questions.

Greenie for that. I don't always agree with some of what ss says, but the mob like attitude by some to troll every post he makes is getting droll.

Sorry to butt in but Bazza2 is not unintelligent by any means and you are somewhat rude and are not "respectful" at all, IMHO

Agreed, although I haven't actually met Bazza2 in person, he always seems friendly, helpful and at times amusing on the forum. Which is what I've formed my opinion on. Needless to say my opinion of SS isn't quite the same.

I don't think it was so much the question SS asked, but more the content of his reply to Bazza which disturbed others enough to comment on.

• Greenie 1

Agreed, although I haven't actually met Bazza2 in person, he always seems friendly, helpful and at times amusing on the forum. Which is what I've formed my opinion on. Needless to say my opinion of SS isn't quite the same.

I don't think it was so much the question SS asked, but more the content of his reply to Bazza which disturbed others enough to comment on.

Well yes I can see that but Bazza did imply SS was trolling didn't he? I don't really have an opinion of either of these guys but it did seem to me that SS was provoked. If SS has a well deserved reputation and I'm so dull I haven't encountered it yet, someone will maybe put me right.

Point of order here, it was Magnetman who asked the question first, why didn't he get the same treatment as SS?

I'm bemused, and a little disturbed, as to why SS's question provoked such a reaction.

This has cropped up before - just because some of us might be bored to death by certain perennial topics doesn't mean someone new to these issues should be dissuaded from raising them again.

Even if there are countless past threads on the issue, people change their opinions, especially with "new" technology

SS might be a regular poster but he is a fairly new boat owner and to me it seemed a perfectly reasonably question to ask in the context of the thread. It never occurred to me that he was being mischievous and it still doesn't. I don't think I would have reacted the way he did, but I'm not surprised.

Occasionally you get members trying to derail a topic with an "oh no not that again" response. If it doesn't interest you then just ignore it, I dont think it helps trying to bully relatively new members into thinking twice before they ask questions.

Actually on reflection the point you make that I have highlighted in red is not so unfair

Well yes I can see that but Bazza did imply SS was trolling didn't he? I don't really have an opinion of either of these guys but it did seem to me that SS was provoked. If SS has a well deserved reputation and I'm so dull I haven't encountered it yet, someone will maybe put me right.

It wasn't my intention to imply that SS was trolling - merely that he was being deliberately mischievous.

Seconded.

I can see SS is a perfectly intelligent human bean and regular on these boards, so I too was puzzled by his apparent failure to notice the regular threads on Ecofans or think of using the search engine.

Therefore I conclude he HAD, but decided to pretend otherwise.

MtB

For the avoidance of doubt...

1) I have only limited time available online and do not get to read every post on every thread on every forum.

2) I have not seen a thread on ecofans before.

3) I do not find the CWDF search function particularly helpful (this is a shortcoming of PHP or whoever the forum host is, not the forum administrator(s).

4) I imagine most questions have been asked before, but just as in real life if somebody asks a question which is answered, that does not prohibit the entire human race from ever asking the same question again.

Thank you..