1973 Location and Short Boat Name Quiz

mark99

Featured Posts

I don't know it's 1973, but it's what the caption says in a book (Feb 1973) I found in a charity shop. Kingfisher inspection lunch launch is behind. It does not ID the short boat.

Book = D.D. Gladwin - A Pictorial History of Canals.

but it's what the caption says in a book (Feb 1973)

Ah, yes, so it does, now I look again - I had forgotten that.

There were only two cut down ice-breaker tugs surviving here at that time, namely "Large Northwich" Renton and "Middle Northwich" Sickle.

"Renton" had a back cabin, but no surviving conventonal engine room. Its engine was under the tug deck,so this couldn't be it.

That it is Sickle is confirmed by the non standard equally spaced guard rails on the counter. A proper Northwich counter has the guards spaced so that the top band is about twice the width of the other two. Sickle has since been restored to something more correct.

Here is a picture I took of her, which In also believe is from 1973. The location has been previousy disclosed, but for anybody who doesn't know, might be harder to guess than the Bulbourne one, (although clearly it will be in roughly the same geographical area!).

Sickle_2.jpg

Here is a picture I took of her, which In also believe is from 1973. The location has been previousy disclosed, but for anybody who doesn't know, might be harder to guess than the Bulbourne one, (although clearly it will be in roughly the same geographical area!).

Sickle_2.jpg

I'm tempted to say Cheddington/Pitstone, because of the railway line. I can picture the spot that i THINK it is, but can't recall exactly where that spot is.

I agree, it is a bit confusing to call a cut down narrow boat a 'Short Boat'

Does that make an original working narrow boat a "Long Boat"

That would never do 3131stop.gif

They were, I think, known as Long Boats in some areas.

There were Leeds & Liverpool Long Boats as well, of course ;)

Tim

I'm tempted to say Cheddington/Pitstone, because of the railway line. I can picture the spot that i THINK it is, but can't recall exactly where that spot is.

No.

Just beyond Winkwell winding hole heading south heading to Hemel H.

Possibly, depending on your meaning. If you are suggesting Sickle is heading South, then no.......

I agree, it is a bit confusing to call a cut down narrow boat a 'Short Boat'

Does that make an original working narrow boat a "Long Boat"

That would never do 3131stop.gif

I assumed it referred to a short quiz, rather than a short boat!

Possibly, depending on your meaning. If you are suggesting Sickle is heading South, then no.......

going north, boat will be passing under a railway bridge then arriving at Winkwell lock 61..it will have passed through Boxmoor top lock 62 going up, about 10 minutes ago :) assuming it hasn't just started or turned round.

Yes correct.

Going North above Slaughters, not yet passed under the railway bridge.

We did try and take current day pictures to match, but hadn't got the originals at at our disposal, so didn't get quite the right spot....

IMG_3828.JPG

Sickle_2.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher