best boat builders

Featured Posts

Boats aren't like cars or caravans - which mostly come in standard configurations.

Boat building is a craft industry - and each one is pretty much unique (newer volume builders, perhaps an exception?)

Welcome to the forum

Although some shell builders fit out their own shells there are a lot of boat builders that buy in the shell.

My boat fitter would actually fit out any shell of your choice but preferred only two.

Most shells built in the last ten years will be be built in 10, 6, 5, 4 or 10, 6, 4 that is base, hull side, cabin side, and top.

The cost comes in the style and the quality of the build and the attention to detail.

This has been discussed a few times so a search of the forum may help. (not easy wink.png )

a budget of 40k. i am looking at taditional sterns.

im looking for best quality, strong built steel boat. im looking for a boat built in the last 10 years with best interior quality wood used really

Your budget won't cover a 'best quality, strong built steel boat' of that age

Richard

Bear in mind that a new boat from a top end builder with a quality fit out is going to cost over £100k new, many much more than that, I think that your budget might struggle to get something 10 years or younger. As has already been said, it depends on how finely tuned your sense of the aesthetics are regarding shell builders. All of the best build strong, chunky shells anyway, the differences are in the details. Look for such builders as Brinklow Boat Services, David Harris, Roger Fuller, Norton Canes Boatbuilders, Canal Transport Services for real trad style top end stuff. Good luck.

Dave

Your budget won't cover a 'best quality, strong built steel boat' of that age

Richard

Do you think not? As long as she does not want a very long boat it should do, surely, between 40 and 50 feet say?

Laura, names which spring to mind include Jonathan Wilson, Tim Tyler, Norton Canes, Mel Davis, Steve Hudson, then maybe a little way down in terms of prestige but long-established and reputable, Colecraft. You could also look at ex-hire boats (built to withstand hard knocks in the hands of learners) but the majority of these are cruiser-stern.

Have a look at "Apollo Duck Narrowboat" on the internet. You can enter your search criteria, e.g. size and top price, and see what's available within your budget.

Oh, and if you want opinions about any boats you find on there, there are people here who will offer them - but do not expect them all to agree with each other!

Do you think not? As long as she does not want a very long boat it should do, surely, between 40 and 50 feet say?

Laura, names which spring to mind include Jonathan Wilson, Tim Tyler, Norton Canes, Mel Davis, Steve Hudson, then maybe a little way down in terms of prestige but long-established and reputable, Colecraft. You could also look at ex-hire boats (built to withstand hard knocks in the hands of learners) but the majority of these are cruiser-stern.

Have a look at "Apollo Duck Narrowboat" on the internet. You can enter your search criteria, e.g. size and top price, and see what's available within your budget.

Oh, and if you want opinions about any boats you find on there, there are people here who will offer them - but do not expect them all to agree with each other!

I was just having a nose!

This is the result 14ish boats http://www.apolloduck.com/listings.phtml?view=1&layout=1&cid=140&scid=71&fx=GBP&minv=30000&maxv=40000&minl=0&maxl=0&ymin=2004&ymax=&type=&sort=0&limit=20

Various Builders noted

The tricksy word is 'best'. What is best quality?

Richard

If you were to focus on the long established and reputable end of the market then that would fit your budget better and you would get a boat in a better and more usable condition than one of the list that Dave Moore has come up with. Particularly as I am guessing that for the budget you want that to get a boat in a decent usable condition and not wanting immediate work required.

And not only who built it and what with but more importantly how has it been looked after since its been built. A cheaper boat that's been lovingly looked after and maintained may be better quality than a quality boat that's been completely neglected. What ever you choose get a survey.

And not only who built it and what with but more importantly how has it been looked after since its been built. A cheaper boat that's been lovingly looked after and maintained may be better quality than a quality boat that's been completely neglected. What ever you choose get a survey.

And there are probably around ten top quality builders, I doubt they produced much more than a couple of thousand boats between them. Less than that in ten years

And there are around 30,000 boats

The point is, this isn't like buying a Ford, Audi or BMW - the boatbuilding field isn't dominated by a very few builders. Thre are hundreds of them, some who made a handful of boats. On top of that, how do you split top quality shells with poor fitouts from excellent quality fitouts in middle of the range shells?

I would contend that trying to but the 'best' by using the names of builders or fitters alone is going to be nearly impossible, especially on a £40K budget

Richard

You're probably right - but at least now Laura has got some starting points from which she can investigate what's available and what she might like and, more importantly, dislike.

Before anyone starts - yes, I realise that she can start only from one point at a time, but yer knew wot I meant.

I agree with Richard.

I don't think Laura will easily find.....

Boat less than 10 years old.

Boat of a good (at least 50 feet plus) length.

Boat in very good repair not needing money spent.

Boat from one of the very best builders.

on a budget that doesn't exceed £40K.

I think she is likely to have to compromise on at least some of that, or pay rather more, unless she makes a really lucky find.

That said, if the boat had come from one of the very select and very best of the builders, I can't imagine why you would need to put a "no more than 10 years old" restriction on it. A 12 0r 15 yera old boat from some of those may very well be a better prospect than a less than 10 yera old boat from one of the more "volume" builders.

smiley_offtopic.gif To digress slightly, if she were looking for a boat from a quality builder that is 70 or 80 years old, I can state categorically her budget wouldn't come close - or if someone knows of one for sale, can they please tell just me, and very privately!

Edited by alan_fincher

Step down a level from high end/best to well respected and it opens up a decent selection. EG.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=369744

Not sure how old it is?

That's a fine looking boat.

If I was in the position of the OP I'd be looking at boats like that. The likes of Norton Canes and Roger Fuller are out of reach at that money but saying that unless you know what makes those boats good boats in my opinion you're wasting your money buying one. The differences between a top quality boat by a top quality builder and a floating biscuit tin put together properly are mostly style (I say mostly because Norton Canes boats for example steer backwards by black magic).

I'd start with Colecraft just because I like them, nothing special really but well built boats for what they are and there's plenty about (I have to confess some bias, I've got one)

Edited by Sabcat

Colecraft - I can't begin to tall you the times I've looked at a fine boat and been told the shell is a Colecraft.

I now recognise them by the rear upsweep.

They generally (although strangely not always) have a low cabin on them which I like although my cabin isn't Colecraft. The lines are not Roger Fuller/Norton Canes etc.especially the bows but they are built from a centre line and welded properly. In the £40k range that's what a person is going to be going for - a good solid boat built right.

The OP asked for best boat builders. I would include in this Aintree and Aqualine and Reeves etc. Topic seems to have strayed to what some on here consider superior, yet many, me included just see as old fashioned.

Ian.

It must be old fashioned to build a quality boat.

Edited by sarahavfc