Tools and Propellor Problems.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

I have a toolbox with the usual spanners, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers etc etc etc but what tools are recommended for dealing with issues related to stuff getting caught up in the propellor? I'm guessing knives, hacksaw etc but is there anything else, and also how would I deal with getting a tyre wrapped round the propellor should that even happen?

I have a fisherman's knife which has one sharp edge to the blade and the other is serrated. I have seen on here a tool that's a rod with a hook on the end and sharpened on the inside so you can hook and pull to clear stuff ( hopefully someone will put the link on).

Pair of chest high waders in case of really difficult stuff

Having no weedhatch we usually manage with the cabin shaft which has a hook on it, and just pull stuff off. No cutting tools needed, and all done by feel. Its very rare to have to resort to immersion.

Yes. In 99 times out of a 100 this works. However, the one occasion when it didn't work was in a freezing December with a howling gale. It was then I decided to put a concealed weed hatch.

I have a fisherman's knife which has one sharp edge to the blade and the other is serrated. I have seen on here a tool that's a rod with a hook on the end and sharpened on the inside so you can hook and pull to clear stuff ( hopefully someone will put the link on).

I got this

I have seen these at work and thought they would be good for freeing snagged items. They are designed for cutting rope / fabric / webbing etc. They are completely blunt on the outside so you don't accidentally shop off bodily parts if you slip. ohmy.png

http://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_Res-Q-HookRescueKnife_76_0_2463_1.html

There's even a hole to attach a cord so you don't lose it.

Edited by tonyt40

I have seen these at work and thought they would be good for freeing snagged items. They are designed for cutting rope / fabric / webbing etc. They are completely blunt on the outside so you don't accidentally shop off bodily parts if you slip. ohmy.png

http://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_Res-Q-HookRescueKnife_76_0_2463_1.html

It does look like a good piece of kit, but at £60 it's not something on the top of the priority list atm, I have ordered a weed cutter and some knives, all I need now is to find a lucky propellor charm to ward off tyres and supermarket trolleys. wink.png

Not quite the one I was thinking of. That one looks like something Attila the Hun would use. laugh.png

The Huns' main weapon was a bow, but they did have some simple axes too. The prop cleaning tool pictured more closely resembles a halberd, widely used in mediaeval Europe, notably by the Swiss in the 14th century.

I've got a patio weeding tool like this....

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Garden+Tools+Accessories/sd3271/Heavy+Duty+Ash+Handle+Garden+Tool+Patio+Weeder/p64729

Which I've then sharpened on the reverse sides with an angle grinder...and attached a longer thin rope to act as a safety...worked really well over the summer and isn't so expensive if I do drop it and can't get it with the magnet.

Cheers

Gareth