Traditional Signwriting.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

My advice, unless you are very very adept at painting, would be to use a professional signwriter. By the time you invest in all the paint, brushes etc it's really not that much more expensive for a professional job, and a lot less hassle.

Dave Moore (also of this parish) did a superb job of ours a couple of months ago for a very reasonable sum.

SignwrittenbyDaveMoore_zpsf9cc066b.jpg

Edit to add: Having said that you may want the pleasure and satisfaction of knowing you 'did it yourself', in which case ignore everything I have saidsmile.png

Edited by Kendal

I've just passed Dave on the GUC and stopped for a chat whilst he was lettering Bens GUCCC butty.

You can't go wrong with Dave and for what he charged me for some recent work It's a steal.

I get people coming up all the time looking/commenting at his work.

Edited by mark99

My advice is get a proffessional to do it, it doesn't cost very much, and it will enhance the appearance of your boat, Amateur jobs tend to look exactly that, and will detract from the appearance of the boat.

I have only ever seen two boats signwritten by the owners and which were of an acceptable standard, One was done by a young woman who was very artistic, and the other was by a man who came from a circus background and had many years experiece of decorating Showmans Vans,

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi all

I'm just back home from lettering Ben's butty, a job that went amazingly well for a change. To defeat Sod's Law is a rare occurrence!

To the OP.....it's entirely your call, but please bear in mind that there are so many specialities and subtleties in the process that, with respect, you will not be aware of. I'm not bidding for your job, but having taught many students the basics on my 2 day lettering courses, only 2 are now working professionally and both had art/graphic backgrounds. To equip yourself with the right paint and brushes, along with tape, wax pencils etc will leave little change out of at least £80. To do the job on your pontoon mooring would be much more difficult than in a covered dock and at this time of the year the weather is likely to be less than helpful. Bear in mind too that a cabin side is a very public space, your inexperience is bound to show through! If you are determined to do the job yourself, then get a board, paint it up in your chosen background colour and practise, practise, practise!!

I've seen many attempts by owners or their artistic friends, none of which have the wow factor. If you decide to proceed, I'll advise, but I also agree with the caveats posted by others.

Confession time...I have a long term fascination with artics, which goes back years when a one time friend started driving. I'm too old now to learn, though I have spent several hours off road with them learning the basics. Would you trust me to back yours into a tight bay? I'd love to have the skills..... But I dont!

Cheers

Dave

My advice is get a proffessional to do it, it doesn't cost very much, and it will enhance the appearance of your boat, Amateur jobs tend to look exactly that, and will detract from the appearance of the boat.

I have only ever seen two boats signwritten by the owners and which were of an acceptable standard, One was done by a young woman who was very artistic, and the other was by a man who came from a circus background and had many years experiece of decorating Showmans Vans,

I appreciate what you are saying, Desiree's signwriting was applied by a previous owner, and while it is good, it isn't anywhere near the standard of professional signwriters.

DesireeSeptember017_zps925c999d.jpg

It's also a little tired and faded, and I was thinking of re-doing it in cream, following the original pattern, with the blocking in two shades of red, and the blocking measured rather than being done freehand. I think I could make it look a little better, plus it's something I would enjoy doing anyway. So I would still appreciate advice from those who have "had a go".

Agree about Dave Moore's work though, absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful talent that man has. One day, maybe, I would like to get Desiree treated to a professional re-paint and signwriting job, but that will be a fair few years away. Until then, I'm happy to have a go myself.

Also looked at the link to the DVD set, will definitely be getting that put on my Xmas present wish list.

Thanks for the kind comments about my work, to the OP and others.

I think your lettering may be the work of a student of mine who worked in the area. I won't say more than that, but to be honest he was working way out of his comfort zone. Your lettering has many of his hallmarks. Shading is always something I do freehand, be aware that any attempt at measuring is likely to give the finished work a stiff, lifeless character. " if it looks right, it is right" was the first bit of advice I got in my signwriting training many years ago....how true!

Dave

There must still be some good general signwriters out there - just look at this. I had a good look at it to check the brushmarks etc to make sure it was real/hand painted.

20140514_102946_zpsc936339b.jpg

Another vote for Dave Moore, he added the final ingredient to the look of our boat.

Darren

Very nice it looks too. Last time was passed you Darren, a bloke nearly fell in trying to photo your tub.

There must still be some good general signwriters out there - just look at this. I had a good look at it to check the brushmarks etc to make sure it was real/hand painted.

20140514_102946_zpsc936339b.jpg

Very nice it looks too. Last time was passed you Darren, a bloke nearly fell in trying to photo your tub.

Wheres that pub? Looks like could be one for my list to pay a visit to.

Wheres that pub? Looks like could be one for my list to pay a visit to.

Can't remember exactly but between Blackfriars and London Bridge.

Funny enough just round the corner was this one too - could be the same artist looking at the characters.

It was too early even for me to go in and sample the wares.

20140514_120348_zps6c69f0d0.jpg

I have a digitised letters and numbers done by Sam Yates, who used to do the painting at Whitebirk dockyard, Blackburn. I use them for signage on the L&LC Society's heritage boat Kennet, and an example is below. I still have copies of the book, Brightwork, I wrote about L&LC boat painting with Sam, if anyone is interested.

gallery_6938_1_8723.jpg