Just picked up a boat, engine problems already. Please help!

boatcat

Featured Posts

I think that sums up boating in general, other boaters are always happy to help others. I have been helped number of times in the past and I hope I have managed to return the favour as well!!

Well done Matty40s for being able to help!

Unfortunately, the faults were entirely caused by the servicing mechanic at Braunston, the alternator belt was fitted running over the alternator bracket, wear was very clear. More rubber than an Australian sheep shearing contest.

There was wear anyway, as the cooling system seems to be sitting slightly proud of where it should be, so a washer on both alternator brackets is a temporary fix.

The fuel leak identified by the surveyor has also now been fixed. Another thing not done by Braunston, but charged for.

It really pisses me off, new boaters not just ripped off, but then rudely treated and blamed by operators that should be upholding standards, not abstaining from responsibility.

Congratulations and thanks for showing that the "canal spirit" is still alive and well in some quarters,

Bob

All too common I'm afraid. No names, but I came across a broken down boat recently that was well on its way to sinking. On inspection, there were no seals in the weedhatch. The flooding had done quite a bit of damage to an otherwise nice engine.

If the OP used a surveyor in this purchase, I wonder if the same surveyor would report on the poor/non existent work and would have any clout against the boatyard? Just a thought, but the surveyor may be able to offer some sound advice?

ps forgot to say "Well done Matty :) "

Edited by Guest

That's not the first time I have heard of this happening at Braunston. Agree with Mattys sentiments

Are there not a number of engineering businesses at Braunston though, sub-letting their premises?

Or is 'Braunston Marina' always the company name written on the invoices?

MtB

I met "Posh Tim" when we were looking to buy a narrowboat. I was with my son who has lived on and cruised boats for most of his life. We were treated like timewasters from the start and PT was dismissive and patronising to say the least. We did not even get to look at the two boats I might have been interested in. As we left my son went into the office and told PT that he had just lost a potential buyer, one with the money in the bank and very keen to buy a boat.

I don't know if it made any difference to his future performance with customers...I rather think not.

suze

Edited by waterwitch

Not in defence of the owner of Braunston Marina owner. But a few weeks ago I overheard a conversation in the shop/office that Tim's wife/partner was not very well and may not recover. I heard more but not my place I guess. We were in there last week to look at three boats that we were seriously considering, after two we gave up as we were ignored for quite sometime between keys. Tim asked if we were okay, when we said we wanted keys for such and such, he waved a hand and his male asst manager? sorted us out.

I find it sad that a bad attitude sometimes can loose a business both reputation and additional business. Who knows, it may well effect the moral of the workforce, like engine services.

"canal spirit" - did Matty40s do this for free?

Yes, Matt sorted us out for free, he was too nice to take payment. My boyfriends mum even suggested we give him a packet of bacon (strange I know), he didnt take it and it made a lovely breakfast this morning. Edited by boatcat

"canal spirit" - did Matty40s do this for free?

What does it matter? He dropped what he was doing and showed up on a Sunday to get them going again. The OP was stranded and now he is not. Even if a fair wage was charged for the work, how does that detract from Matty40s showing up when he was needed?

Matty40s, a tip of the hat to you, sir! Well done!

What does it matter? He dropped what he was doing and showed up on a Sunday to get them going again. The OP was stranded and now he is not. Even if a fair wage was charged for the work, how does that detract from Matty40s showing up when he was needed?

Matty40s, a tip of the hat to you, sir! Well done!

Agree 100%

A long time ago we use to moor in Braunston on a shared ownership boat. Tim went a long way out of his way to help us when we had problems with the company running our boat.

An alternative mechanic in Braunston is Jonathon Hewitt at Union Canal Carriers. He has a very good reputation as 'Keeping Up' will confirm.

Indeed I will. He's the only person I'd ever allow near my engine with a toolkit.

I doubt they'd allow him in the Marina. He works from by the bottom lock.