Continuous cruising in Bristol

Abe28

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are moving our boat from Bulls Bridge to Bristol in the next couple of weeks, but can't find any decent information on the mooring sites that you can continuously cruise without fees, like here in London. Please please help! We want/ NEED to be near public transport for work, but don't need to be central if it's super pricey!

Any info you have please share! smile.png

I am asking about the FREE MOORING spots in/around Bristol and their maximum stay time. Feel free to stop being facetious. Thank you very much for this nice warm welcome to canalworld.net. If any of my spelling or punctuation is incorrect, I'm sure you will let me know as soon as you can, so I don't look silly.

Sadly for you bristol,s floating harbour is known as a cash cow for the powers that be and is a dead end at the end of a very contentious stretch of canal ie the Kennet and Avon between bath and Devizes which means there are very few if any places left to hide away so unless you have a boat that's happy in strong tidal waters and are willing to make regular trips up and down the tidal Avon and Severn I,m afraid your a bit scuppered with regard to CCing around bristol your only alternative is to join the masses on the lower K and A between bath and Bradford on Avon and commute into bristol on the train that runs parallel with the canal sorry to piss on your fire but better to have both eyes open before diving in ATB and good luck whichever way you go

Bristol itself is not CRT but Bristol City Council. There is no way you could continuously cruise here (I'm moored here at present as a visitor)

You could cruise the K & A but under the plan for the waterway you need to have moved from Caen Hill to Bath over the course of a year or so I believe. The waterway is divided into 14 'places' and your boat is supposed to be recorded in each one of these. So if you are working in Bristol bear in mind you may have to commute from Devises some of the time.

If you google kanda you will find the community website.

Mooring in Bristol is not cheap. The fees are published on their website. The upside is you don't need a CRT licence if you are moored in the docks.

Edited by pearley

Hi,

We are moving our boat from Bulls Bridge to Bristol in the next couple of weeks, but can't find any decent information on the mooring sites that you can continuously cruise without fees, like here in London. Please please help! We want/ NEED to be near public transport for work, but don't need to be central if it's super pricey!

The centre of Bristol (The Harbour) is controlled by the City Of Bristol as is not covered by your CRT license continuous cruising or not, info on mooring in the harbour here:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/transport-and-streets/mooring-and-berthing-harbour

Between Bristol and Bath is the River Avon, others more knowledgeable will tell you about mooring on it but I am under the impression that their are are not a lot of moorings, also it floods!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Thank you very much for the information people :) So, would Bath be a better place to go? Or Birmingham? We haven't got a definite destination, just fancy a change from London and Bristol seemed like a nice place.

Regarding CCing, we mean from moving from neighbourhood A, in City to neighbourhood B, to neighbourhood C, to neighbourhood D, etc then back to A within 1 city. ( This is ok with CaRT CCing license in London)

Abe28 welcome to the forum

'Tecnically' yes, you are right, but you knw wohat I meant. Anybody else with any USEFUL information, please comment! smile.png

We only know, what you wrote.

You got an answer that did not say what you wished it to

That's the way iof a forum that tells it how it is.

The following answers have given some more information.

Whether you wish to take it all onboard (no pun) is your decision.

Bristol Harbour to Netham Lock is under the jurisdiction of Bristol, and very expensive. And patrolled. Permanent moorings are rarer then hens teeth. Mooring on the Avon between Netham lock and Hanham lock is possible but difficult, as the river is tidal, and the banks not very good for long term mooring.

Between Hanham Lock and Bath is CRT controlled, so all the usual applies. Mooring is again difficult, because the banks don't lend themselves for either tying up,or getting on and off. There are places with permament moorings however, but only for those capable of dealing with the regular flooding.

Are you willing to pay for a mooring, or just looking to moor for free?

You mean 'Technically' as in 'Legally' presumably, and yes we know exactly what you mean. Here's some useful information: you will get little support on this forum in an attempt to add to the problem of people who see the waterways as cheap linear housing and abuse their licence conditions to the inconvenience and detriment of genuine canal users.

So the answer, as stated, is that you can't CC in Bristol. You can moor, at cost, if you can find a space.

Regarding CCing, we mean from moving from neighbourhood A, in City to neighbourhood B, to neighbourhood C, to neighbourhood D, etc then back to A within 1 city. ( This is ok with CaRT CCing license in London)

Thank you very much for the information people smile.png So, would Bath be a better place to go? Or Birmingham? We haven't got a definite destination, just fancy a change from London and Bristol seemed like a nice place.

Bristol is a nice place but not anhthing like London for CCing, Bath is doubtful as is the whole K&A, Birmingham may be possible but technically....

Hi,

Hanham opposite the pub.

(wink wink).

• Greenie 1

I think a few people have managed to bridge hop on the Bristol Avon (Bristol to Bath) but its not for the feint hearted or inexperienced. The number of sunk boats on that stretch is a reminder of just how dangerous that river can be. Transport into Bristol not that easy either.

There is potential for some serious bridge hopping in Birmingham and a fair few are doing it, in fact there there is so much canal that its not even bridge hopping. An easy day gets you into pleasant countryside on the North Stratford.

..............Dave

I find this almost impossible to reconcile with the waterways in Bristol or Bath - have you even looked at a map? Bath just has a canal and a river. Bristol just has the floating harbour, its canal. The CaRT controlled river. Both are linear in nature and the parts in the "cities" are not long enough for compliant CCIng. You need lost of canals and junctions. As has been mentioned look at Birmingham and the Black Country. Apart from London & Birmingham I can not think of any other "cities" that would allow compliant CCing without moving fairly long distances down one or two canals.

Thank you very much for the information people smile.png So, would Bath be a better place to go? Or Birmingham? We haven't got a definite destination, just fancy a change from London and Bristol seemed like a nice place.

Welcome.

Simple answer, you can't do that in Bristol, and you will have difficulty doing it between Bath and Bristol because that is a river that might be fine in summer, but will probably not be in winter.

In Birmingham you might also have difficulty now that CaRT is keeping a far closer eye on people trying to do this.

You may well be better off looking for a legitimate mooring either on the towpath or in a marina

I have noticed recently increasing numbers of residential moorings in and around Edinburgh - that'd be an ace place to live. I also really like Nottingham - forumite Ange knows that bit of the woods and might be able to suggest likely moorings there. CRT seem to advertise resi moorings in Brum fairly regularly.

Why not take a look at the CRT auction site (current and completed) to see where their moorings come up, and then decide whether you like the area?

It always strikes me that if you want to continuously cruise and not fiddle the system then working in Coventry and doing the warwickshire ring fairly slowly would seem to me to be within the law.

In birmingham you could also go round the warwickshire ring, but also pop up the staffs and worcester or trent and Mersey, maybe out to stourbridge.

There are a lot more canals and choice of routes up here, and with a bit of planning there are plenty of places on bus routes, or relatively near to train stations.

And loads of places without braving biggish rivers over winter, which I believe can be challenging!

Of course you haven't said where work is, so we may all be offering useless info.

Sue

Bristol is a LOT smaller than London!!

Have you actually looked at a map of the navigation in Bristol?