Missing teenager - Hanwell, Brentford, Kew area

Wanted

Featured Posts

It's correct. When the phone is turned on it connects to the nearest mast and any others it can see( so as you move it can switch to the best signal). You can triangulate the position off this reasonably accurately using data from the masts.

Not sure if this posted before, but repeating again anyway as a "bump".

BBC Linky

I'd not seen it, but it indicates her phone went off air at about 5:00 pm on the afternoon she went missing, but had previously texted home at about 3:00 pm with questions that look like she was intending to return that evening. Whatever happened to her seems to have been after 3:00 pm.

Please use anything at your disposal to keep spreading the message - several Facebook groups I put it into got replies that imply there are still people out there who might be able to help, but are simply not aware she is being looked for. Those cyclists must be out there somewhere - is anybody aware of anyone who might have been cycling on the tow-path that day - the police are very keen to contact them.

It's unusual to turn off an iPhone. I have one and I haven't turned it off since I bought it. It goes to sleep by itself so there's no need to fool with the on off switch. I have the "where''s my iPhone" app on my computers, iPad and iPhone. I could use it to locate my son if I ever needed to and it will locate our iPhones and iPads if misplaced. It's pretty darn accurate so I guess the Apple devices must be putting out a gps signal.

None of it will work underwater, though, so her phone might well be in the canal.

None of it will work underwater, though, so her phone might well be in the canal.

I get the impression that is what they are looking for in the canal. It can't take long to clear a section of canal looking for something the size of a human body, but I could see something the size of a phone taking a long time to search for.

Are you in touch with Alice's family? It seems there is a search on for Alice's iPhone. If it will help to find Alice's iPhone...

If someone has Alice's phone and is keeping it just to have an iPhone, I will (anonymously) give a new iPhone 4s to whomever turns her iPhone in.

Hi Paul, I am not in touch directly although the Facebook page find Alice Gross is run by a team of admin and her Sister. I am sure that would be really grateful of your offer.

Rob

Not sure how this works, but no matter what network or sim the phone has in, and is switched on, it will still transmit it's location to listening devices.

I only half believe this to be true.

Martyn

It is even easier to track the location of an iPhone if the user has an iTunes account and uses the 'find my iPhone app.

You would need the iTunes account/Apple ID though.

I suspect given the police appeal this does not apply.

Hi Paul, I am not in touch directly although the Facebook page find Alice Gross is run by a team of admin and her Sister. I am sure that would be really grateful of your offer.

Rob

I don't do Facebook. If you could post there for me, I would appreciate it. I prefer to remain anonymous, but I'll PM my email to you just so you know how to get hold of me if this actually produces any results.

I get the impression that is what they are looking for in the canal. It can't take long to clear a section of canal looking for something the size of a human body, but I could see something the size of a phone taking a long time to search for.

If I remember rightly, that part of canal is actually a canalised river brent and has strong under currents, which will make the search even harder sadly.

If I remember rightly, that part of canal is actually a canalised river brent and has strong under currents, which will make the search even harder sadly.

It only has strong currents after heavy rain, otherwise it's just like a canal. I don't live in the area anymore, but I don't think there has been any rain for some time.

Edited by blackrose