Missing teenager - Hanwell, Brentford, Kew area

Wanted

Featured Posts

Quite often when you hear of missing children every man and his dog are out searching the area in a sort of semi-organised fashion. Often the national media are camped out in the local village hall filming all the people who have come from far and wide to join the search.

What is different about this missing girl? Apart from the odd link to something on the BBC website I've not heard anything on the TV or national media about this case. Are people out searching and it's not being reported?

Yes, I have seen it on National News. That was last week though.

Very odd that she has not been located.

Quite often the Police are doing things that don't reach the press, only the little bits that may make a suspicious person do something to expose themselves. Hense I feel the limited information is intensional.

I wouldn't mind betting that they still have their eyes on the two people arrested and released recently.

Just my thoughts.i hope there's good news soon.

Martyn

That's strange that two people would go missing from about the same place within a week of each other. Kinda makes one wonder what they might have seen that they shouldn't have.

That's strange that two people would go missing from about the same place within a week of each other. Kinda makes one wonder what they might have seen that they shouldn't have.

In a very quick summary at the end of the news they said he wasn't wanted as a suspect.

Baffling.

It's very odd and I can understand why people speculate, but whilst this is a missing investigation the police and therefore the press will be very measured in the information they release. I am usually scathing about the press in the UK but, in cases such as this they are usually pretty good at going with the requests of the police whist children are still missing.

#findalice

In a very quick summary at the end of the news they said he wasn't wanted as a suspect.

Baffling.

In the article you linked they were quite emphatic that he is another missing person and not a suspect. Like you said, baffling. Two people missing from same place within a week of each other is strange. When you consider their differences, man vs girl, it really makes you wonder.

I don't really know what you mean? huh.png It certainly doesn't make me wonder what they might have seen. Over a quarter of a million people go missing in the UK every year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-missing-each-year-275000-britons-disappear-1801010.html

http://www.tie-a-ribbon.co.uk/

In the article you linked they were quite emphatic that he is another missing person and not a suspect. Like you said, baffling. Two people missing from same place within a week of each other is strange. When you consider their differences, man vs girl, it really makes you wonder.

You can wonder and speculate if you wish, but given the number of disappearances, these two cases are statistically more likely to be completely unconnected.

Edited by blackrose

Oh bugger - it gets worse....

Latest, (may be same link updated???)

"Suspect Alnis Zalkalns has murder conviction".

"Mr Zalkalns served seven years in prison for murder in Latvia, after being convicted in 1998.

Police say he was arrested in London in 2009 for indecently assaulting a 14-year-old girl, but no further action was taken."

This is the only story that I look out for on the news at the moment having two daughters of my own and watching her video on Crime watch reminded me how vulnerable and innocent my daughters were at her age when they think they are so grown up in their own minds. It is also concerning that the chap mentioned who the police are looking for has a murder conviction, I'm just speechless that this man was allowed into the country with this type of conviction even if he may be innocent.

Just hope she is alright and can enjoy the life she has ahead of her.

Edited by Northernboater

(.....Could have predicted that, I guess, although I'm sure we allow many of our own "home grown" convicted murderers to now also walk the streets of this country).

Anyway to go back to #FindAlice, this description of the man and his disappearance is lifted from elsewhere on the BBC site......

Mr Zalkalns, 41, was reported missing on 5 September.

He had failed to meet a colleague on the morning of 4 September to cycle to work on the canal path.

Mr Zalkalns rides a red Trek Mountain Bike and was due at work in Isleworth, police said.

The 5ft 10in builder was last seen on 3 September at his home in Ealing, where he lives with his partner and child. He is of stocky build and has dark brown hair that he normally wears tied in a pony tail, Scotland Yard said.

They are also looking for his red mountain bike - I thought I read somewhere it was of Trek manufacture, but can't now trace the reference.

EDIT: Found it in here - Red Trek Mountain bike

I note that Mr Zalkalns does not appear to have gone missing until a week after Alice.

Edited by alan_fincher

It is important that this thread stays as prominent on this forum as possible. While all local boaters must be fully aware of what is happening in Brentford/Hanwell there must be a number of transient boaters that passed through the area. They could be totally unaware of what has happened yet have unknowingly seen something significant. The timeframe seems to have expanded from around the 28th of August to a wider timeframe up to and after the 3rd September. There will have been quite a few boats moving through the area in that time which are now scattered around the waterways. This needs to have a broad audience within the boating community.

So areas of definite interest to the police.

1) Alice's missing white iPhone 4S has a distinctive cracked case she had colourfully decorated herself.

2) Arnis Zalkans' red Trek mountain bike.

and (I think)

3) Other cyclists known to have used the tow-path on the day Alice went missing.

It is just possible that that bike is on the top of somebody's boat - they just happened to find an abandoned bike on the towpath - and they are oblivious to it's significance.

Another report says he also had a racing bike - although I'm surprised if they don't know which of the two they are looking for.

This is on Facebook.....

PLEASE READ: IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM THE POLICE.

Detectives trying to find 14-year-old Alice Gross are now treating 41-year-old Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect in her disappearance. A reward of up to £20,000 is being offered for anyone who has information that leads detectives to find Alice.

Detectives now know that on Thursday, 28 August - the day that Alice disappeared - Arnis Zalkalns was seen on CCTV cycling along Brentford Lock at 16:00hrs, some fifteen minutes after Alice walked that route at 15:45hrs. Detectives believe he is likely to have come across Alice as they were both going in the same direction, north along the canal towpath. What, if anything, happened there is now one of the focuses of this investigation.

Since Arnis Zalkalns was last seen at his home in Ealing on the evening of Wednesday, 3 September he has not accessed his bank account or used his mobile phone. His passport was left at his house. Friends and family of Arnis have told police that his disappearance is completely out of character, they are very concerned for him.

DS Carl Mehta, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, appealed for the public’s help: “On Thursday 28 August Arnis Zalkalns left work, in Isleworth, at about 3.30pm on his bike. Did you see him that afternoon? Either on his own, or with a teenage girl?

“I also need to hear from anyone who knew Arnis whom we have not yet spoken to. His family and work colleagues have stated he was behaving normally in both the days before and after Alice’s disappearance. They are deeply concerned about his disappearance.

“Arnis has not been seen since Wednesday 3 September. I want anyone who may have seen him after that date, or who may have helped him by giving him money or somewhere to stay, to call and speak to us. It is really important that we trace Arnis and speak to him about Alice’s disappearance.

“Three weeks ago today Alice left home as usual. She has not been seen since 4.26pm, when she walked along Trumpers Way. So far the public have given us great support, but there may still be people out there who were walking in the area Alice was on that Thursday who have not yet spoken to us. If you were and you saw anything that could help progress our investigation - please call.

“Alice used social networking sites, Facebook, Twitter and Ask.fm. I’m asking anyone who may have been talking to Alice on these sites in the run up to the day she disappeared to speak to us.”

So far the investigation has found no evidence to say that Alice and Arnis knew each other.

Police have carried out extensive searches in the areas that Alice was last seen. These continue, with an expanding search area.

Alice is white, 5ft 2 ins tall and of very slim build with shoulder-length, light brown hair. When she left home that day she was wearing dark blue jeans and a grey top, and tartan framed glasses. She was carrying a dark rucksack, and wearing denim blue ‘Vans’ shoes, these shoes were in her rucksack when it was found by police on 2 September.

Arnis Zalkalns is white, 5ft 10ins, stocky build with dark brown hair, that he normally wears tied in a ponytail. He normally cycles to work, and rides a red Trek Mountain Bike and a racing bike.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the investigation team on 020 8358 0100, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.