My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

Thats a real shame to see & i feel for the owner . Its also a shame to see all this bickering & the best thing , i think , is not to respond to the negativity of some posts .

I ' m only a short train ride away from Kingston . I know nothing of how to refloat a boat , but i know how i d feel if i found mine like this . I ' m happy to help but can offer only " labour " if needed .( pm me if so ) If not , no worries & i ll watch this thread & hope those of you who do know how to help manage to achieve to refloat her . Regardless of the owners level of experience , boat ownership strikes me as an ongoing thing & you never get to the top of the learning curve though it may get less steep .... eventually . This guy needs help - give him a break & support & when its finally sorted he 'll have a greater understanding of his boat & probably love it all the more .

Best of luck chap .

This may or may not be the shiny North Star who was snooty as hell to us until I hooked him to my bow and we towed him backwards out of Barnton tunnel while he shouted abuse at his seemingly very lovely wife about the pram he had round his prop. And then thanked my husband - not me - sweet as anything. It sounds like the same tone.

To the OP - hope you get it sorted soon and the damage isn't too serious. There's a lot of amazing unselfish advice and assistance on this ere forum community.

We bought a pair of run-down boats cheaply, we had no experience, were lied to by our pre-purchase surveyor, stuggled to bring them South and have spent every spare shilling since learning just how bad they were and fixing the problems to the best of our abilities, given our limited resources.

Our motor came close to sinking recently, drastic action and the loss of many beer chitties saved her.

Had she sunk and you, Northernboater, had come on here spouting your vitriolic crap, I think a trip North would have been in order.

We bought a pair of run-down boats cheaply, we had no experience, were lied to by our pre-purchase surveyor, stuggled to bring them South and have spent every spare shilling since learning just how bad they were and fixing the problems to the best of our abilities, given our limited resources.

Our motor came close to sinking recently, drastic action and the loss of many beer chitties saved her.

Had she sunk and you, Northernboater, had come on here spouting your vitriolic crap, I think a trip North would have been in order.

You know what they say?

You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much.

What an thoroughly obnoxious character you are Northernboater.

Sometimes in life it is good to make a leap of faith into an area you know little about. Steep learning curves are what sorts out the men from the boys. Sadly sometimes those steep learning curves cost a lot of money (and even more heartache) but we can all learn from our mistakes, especially when there are a bunch of people around to support us.

Other people never take chances and they are the ones that lead sad and boring lives and end up bitter and twisted sitting at their keyboards critiisising others because they took that chance and it did not go quite to plan.

If you can't say anything helpful or supportive then why say anything. I sincerely hope the old girl bobs up to the top as soon as possible and the damage is as limited as possible in the circumstances. I do not think I can help in any way but if I could I would and I hope the OP feels he can continue to come here for support because there are a lot of people rooting for him and his boat on this forum

Edited to add: a greenie for you Marcus for rising above it.

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

Don't be so sure, he might be a dick rather than an arse...

:D

MtB

I have just deleted a comparison of arses and dicks and their comparative uses and abuses due to a lack of taste and decorum on my part.

Either way he's a prat, says he's a senior manager, the scrabble for redundancy must be fierce.

Thanks again to everyone else, you're all amazing!

Today, we did a proper recce. I've started sealing up the holes that are under the water line... Very much in line with what Richard said above... Using CarlT's and others techniques!

Another morning of swimming around in the Thames tomorrow, and I hope that part of the operation will be fairly complete. Then we're going to go pumptastic, in the afternoon... With a very large barge alongside her to steady her, as she hopefully begins to bob upwards.

If tomorrow, doesn't work, then I'm going to seal it some more... And get some bigger pumps... Where there is a will, there is a way!

Chaz from the Facebook group 'london boaters' came down this afternoon, and was a great help!

If any of you fancy watching or joining in, or just sharing a pint at the boaters inn afterwards. It would be lovely to meet you to!

Thanks again for all your amazing help & advice. 'Chubby' you're a legend!

Marcus

My first proper boat, after dingys was a broads sailing cruiser, blissfully ignorant of the effects of having her out of the water for a while while I lovingly did all the painting and varnishing she sank within a few hours of immersion after launch on the Cam. We all learn and the help you get from others with boats is the same now as nearly 40 years ago. Hope she comes up ok.

All these people offering advice from around that area, has anyone of them offered to go down there and refloat it for him? We can all give advise on these forums but actually committing is another thing.

Reading for comprehension isn't your strong suite, is it? You might have to take your shoes off to accomplish this task, but why don't you go back and count the number of people who have volunteered to go there and help raise the boat.

Reading for comprehension isn't your strong suite, is it? You might have to take your shoes off to accomplish this task, but why don't you go back and count the number of people who have volunteered to go there and help raise the boat.

And all the ones who haven't offered help because they know they couldn't reach Kingston, but still wish Marcus the best.

Northernboater

Some sage advice.

Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than opening it and confirming the fact.

If you haven't anything useful to contribute give your keyboard a rest!

Good luck to the OP. The last refloat I was involved in was on the 27th December 2007 it was not pleasant plugging holes in my wet suite in a freezing broadland river.

The Thames in the summer sounds slightly better.

As Carl points out, plenty of pumps rather than rely on one or two. A bit of floatsom can soon clog a pipe/filter and cause lots of hassle, usually at the wrong time.

Hello all!

Had another day of covering the holes...

Going to put the polythene right the way around the whole boat tomorrow.

CarlT can the top of the polythene, float on the water, rather than being attached to the boat I wonder? Was thinking of finding a long tube, and inflating it, and hanging the polythene from it...

Or am I being a plonker?

Thanks again to everyone! I'll let you know when the grunt work is done... Then in the pump day, which should hopefully be quite fun... I'll obviously invite you all to come and watch if you fancy it!

Marcus

X

The polythene will only float for as long as it isn't disturbed. Things that will disturb it are ripples and waves.

Not sure that a few wooden uprights wouldn't be easier than finding a long inflatable tube.

But anyway, the best of luck, not that you should need luck.

Fantastic post .You sir are a true gent.

Hello Northern boater, You've charmed yourself straight into my 'top ten most lovely
I've been regularly embarrassed by my relative lack of experience... And warmed & humbled by the many great people who've helped me out along the way.

I'm looking forward to one day being an old salty seadog, who can share my experiences with others...

Fantast
In your heart of hearts you must feel like a bit of a weasel, so I don't want to lambaste you too much. I believe in karma.. But none the less, I wish you all the best, and you're welcome to come for a cup of tea when she's shipshape again! You provide the charm, I'll provide the cupcakes. Deal?

Marcus
X

Quote didn't work well but that post moved me .
Marcus you are a fine fellow.

Edited by DHutch
quote fixed

Attitude, a guy buys a boat off Ebay and within a year sinks her, attitude, maybe up North we don't suffer fools and say it how it is unlike southerners

You Sir are (for want of better words to use on a family friendly forum) a complete and utter wassock. I am from a more northerly position than you and have been for all my life.

One thing about northerns which isn't evident in you is they are kind and caring and don't kick a man when he is down.

Northernboater spoke out of turn and Marcus gave a brilliant and measured riposte. Probably best to leave it there. The recovery of the boat is far more interesting. Hope it goes well Marcus!

Yup. leave the last word with Marcus, you can't beat that.

Hello all!

Had another day of covering the holes...

Going to put the polythene right the way around the whole boat tomorrow.

CarlT can the top of the polythene, float on the water, rather than being attached to the boat I wonder? Was thinking of finding a long tube, and inflating it, and hanging the polythene from it...

Or am I being a plonker?

Thanks again to everyone! I'll let you know when the grunt work is done... Then in the pump day, which should hopefully be quite fun... I'll obviously invite you all to come and watch if you fancy it!

Marcus

X

Having read the advice on here from CarlT and others, I think I understand the logic of how the polythene works its magic, and can try to give you an answer worth having. But if CarlT or anyone else who actually has rescued sunken boats disagrees with me, please follow their advice not mine! Here goes...

The polythene has to be arranged covering the sides of the boat from the gunwales up to above the river level, so that when your pump(s) are taking water out of the boat, the water outside presses it against the sides but cannot get in all the holes behind which would normally be above water level, such as deck drainage holes (scuppers I think they're called), cabin doors/windows etc.

Therefore the top edge of the polythene would ideally be fixed to something still above water, but from the photo of your boat that wouldn't leave you a lot of choice. An alternative seems to be to nail a series of vertical battens around the outside of your boat with the tops above water level, strong enough to withstand the weight of water when the river level is higher than the inside level, then wrapping the plastic around those so that its top edge is above the water all the way round. But for the plastic to work the bottom edge has to get sucked tight against the boat at gunwale level, which is why you've been advised to use the thinner (and hence cheaper!) plastic, because that has the required flexibility.

I suppose a long inflated tube (of sufficient diameter) could do the job of holding the top of the polythene above water level, but I'm not sure where you'd get that from, whereas a bunch of battens and some nails are not going to be hard to find. I've never tried hammering underwater, but I suppose it can be done, the water will just slow the movement down and make it more tiring I guess?

The main problem might be making sure you don't drop the hammer, you can't just pick it up off the ground if you do. I think I would first drill a little hole through the end of the handle and use some wire or string to tie it to somewhere just in case.

Among all the above I hope there's something useful, and I hope the boat will soon be back at its proper level. Then of course you have to keep it there, which might entail lining up a boatyard to get it ashore before the water leaks back in?

Depending on what I have planned at the time, I'd be interested in being there for the pumping out, so please continue to keep us informed of progress and plans.