My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

My thoughts are with the previous owner, she put in a lot of hard work to keep that boat afloat and it was her home for many years, you come along with no knowledge about working on a boat of this age and not knowing it's history, run her aground, trash the gear box and sink her all within the space of a few months, well done. This should be a lesson to all those out there who think it is a good idea to buy an old boat and think they know what their doing, as I say well done, no doubt another boat that has seen her last days on the water.

There's nothing like kicking a bloke when he (and his boat) are down! What a contrast to all the offers of help and encouragement in the rest of the thread!

Marcus, very best of luck in getting her afloat again.

From another northern boater.

David

Still no excuse for letting a boat like this end up on the river bed, total lack of experiance/knowledge,

I see you are in Skipton.

There is a lot of good beer available there.

Why don't you just piss off to the Woolly Sheep or the Narrow Boat and have a good, hard think about your attitude.

The pub will be far more comfortable than your home under the bridge.

ETA: But don't try the Beer Engine as they closed on Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Attitude, a guy buys a boat off Ebay and within a year sinks her, attitude, maybe up North we don't suffer fools and say it how it is unlike southerners

You're making yourself look like an arse.

Just sayin'

MtB

• Greenie 1

Attitude, a guy buys a boat off Ebay and within a year sinks her, attitude, maybe up North we don't suffer fools and say it how it is unlike southerners

How is it up there on that high horse of yours?

Edited by Bazza2

My thoughts are with the previous owner, she put in a lot of hard work to keep that boat afloat and it was her home for many years,

Catastrophic failure due to an accident aside boats don't deteriorate in a few months.

Many owners put "a lot of hard work into keeping their boats afloat" but that doesn't mean they are not still deteriorating due to constant crisis management, rather than a long term improvement plan.

A wooden boat can sink immediately after coming out of dock after a total rebuild or after a long journey by truck or water.

You obviously know nothing about wooden boats and their quirks which is why you are talking out of your arse about this one.

Crawl back under your bridge, Troll.

I've just stated fact, this should be a lesson to all those who think it's a good idea to buy a cheap boat off Ebay and the consequences that could happen if you haven't got the knowledge to look after it. Simple

A fact stated by someone who knows nothing about the subject should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Any boat can sink and I hope it never happens to you.

I've just stated fact, this should be a lesson to all those who think it's a good idea to buy a cheap boat off Ebay and the consequences that could happen if you haven't got the knowledge to look after it. Simple

But isn't buying a cheap boat off e-bay exactly how a lot of boaters get started?

So this guy is on a very steep learning curve - but that means he's learning some hard lessons very quickly and he'll be a better boater for it

I expect your novice boating days were very different. Why don't you tell us about them?

I imagine the OP is doing things rather than fannying about with keyboards and touch screens but one question I would ask is how long was the boat left unattended?

If one were just out shopping and came back to a sunk boat then something went catastrophically wrong but if one left the boat for say a week and it sank slowly then its more likely its just a small leak.

I think its the first scenario but maybe not ?

I imagine the OP is doing things rather than fannying about with keyboards and touch screens but one question I would ask is how long was the boat left unattended?

If one were just out shopping and came back to a sunk boat then something went catastrophically wrong but if one left the boat for say a week and it sank slowly then its more likely its just a small leak.

I think its the first scenario but maybe not ?

. He says on page one it took just over a week to sink

why don't you go and refloat it for him then.

I have been trying to get my own stuff in order so that I can go and have a look this weekend.

It is a long way to travel and I have two kids on school hols, a car up on axle stands that needs fixing and a business to run.

If I possibly can I will help but I have made no promises because of the aforementioned.

I'm in Rugby and that isn't exactly "around that area" otherwise I would be helping, as I have done many times in the past.

We can all give advise on these forums....

Not all of us.

You just give offensive gloating comments.

All these people offering advice from around that area, has anyone of them offered to go down there and refloat it for him? We can all give advise on these forums but actually committing is another thing.

. Still does,nt make your comments any more helpful though does it ,there are times. When just shutting your mouth is the best course of action and I feel this is one of them

On Facebook he mentions it was left for around 10 days, prior to that I think he was pumping bilges weekly. Talk of stern gland proble,.

I think I would be down there till the problem was sorted and she was sealed, not leaving her for 10 days and writing about it on Facebook

• Greenie 1