My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

I have just deleted a comparison of arses and dicks and their comparative uses and abuses due to a lack of taste and decorum on my part.

Either way he's a prat, says he's a senior manager, the scrabble for redundancy must be fierce.

Being a senior manager might explain it. If he were a middle manager, on the other hand...

P.S. Where are you, exactly?

Marcus said "Albany Island" which I can't find, but I think Stevens Ait/Stephens Eyot is the same place*. If so the nearest road (on the Surrey side) is Lower Ham Road. The island is a bit North of the Kingston railway bridge.

*Small Boat Club is on Stevens Ait and is in the background of the pictures

Edited by Mr Badger

That is indeed the location - Marcus posted earlier this week:

If any of you are in Kingston tomorrow, and fancy a gander, then we're on Albany island... Near the boaters inn, in the afternoon!

Marcus
X
07879 812 789... Will try to keep an eye on my phone... Although I suspect it may be in a safe place as I get my hands dirty / rather wet. Mx

The Boaters Inn is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Boater%27s+Inn/@51.418646,-0.305748,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48760bed4581665b:0xcfb577986f6753b4?hl=en Kingston train station is a short walk, local parking may be restricted, although possible not throughout the whole area).

Being a senior manager might explain it. If he were a middle manager, on the other hand...

. Senior management like most boss,s are just like a kids nappie full of shit and always hanging around your ass .don't know if that helps in any way but thought it worth sharing

At least he hasn't got an SR2.

On more than one occasion I've puzzled over the lack of progress of a lift until the owner has said "Do you think my SR2 will work after this?" (Facepalm moment)

That's exactly what we had on my last salvage.

No owner present. wouldn't come up, so in I went with the leaky dry suit on to find the cooling vents in both sides of the hull blush.png

I've got things to do this afternoon and work tomorrow, but if work on the boat is continuing when Friday comes, I plan to get myself over to Kingston and try to make myself useful somehow.

Take doughnuts

The people who turn up with food and drink are always the most useful wink.png

Edited by Proper Job

I'm having a little lunch break. Slightly warm sandwich & redbull. Yum. Maybe I could pour some redbull on the boat?!

I've been tidying up the decks, and clearing a lot of flotsam... Which has been quite satisfying... Making sure that when I put the polythene down, there's nothing bobbing about that could tear it...

The location above is spot on. The small boat club is next door, and I can see the boaters inn from my boat...

There is a fair amount of free parking on lower ham road... And I think the metre parking is £2 for 4 hours... And kingston train station is about 10 mins walk away...

Yes, I'm highly likely to be here on Friday too. Not sure what stage I'll be at by then... I may be wrapping more polythene around the gunwales...

I may be afloat and sipping a celebratory champagne from the deck, but I fear that's a little unlikely at this stage.

It's been seriously heart warming hearing all your positive comments. I'd feel terrible if you came and dived in the Thames with me, as it's not the most fun in the world! However, at the same time it would be amazing to meet you, and personally thank you for your heroic support. So moral support is great too!!!

If you happen to have a pump, that you could lend to the mission, then that's also epic. As soon as I know the boat is sealed, I'll let you know the 'pump day', as that has the potential to be the most fun!!

Thanks again!

Marcus
P.s. 07879 812 789 - please do drop me a text or call anytime if you're passing by!
X

If you have 300l/min of pumps and the level isn't shifting much, it needs probably needs a bigger pump though there may be holes or bigger gaps that have been missed.

I've got a 200l/min pump if you are getting somewhere with 300l/min of pump, but I'd have thought even 500l/min probably isn't enough.

HSS do a 3" trash pump, 1340l/min, £20 off if reserved online:

http://www.hss.com/g/48246/Trash-Pumps.html

Add that to what you have will give a hefty water shifting capability. smile.png

ETA: With the battens, maybe the placcy could be stapled to the batten in situ, with larger wood to brace if need be, then staple thru placcy to the superstructure either side of the batten to hold it in place.

An old yankee screwdriver should work OK with thin screws, flushed with oil/WD40 after to get any water out etc.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Well, the best thing I learned today is that it's surprisingly easy to bang in nails under water. Sweet! Just done a couple... I may go off te whole thing shortly.. Let's see! Mx

Marcus really sorry to hear about your boat but after looking at the pictures I think this was Lynnes boat that was at Johnathon Wilsons in Sheffield if it isnt it is the spitting image of it and I was moored and being stretched there for the best part of a year let me know please

Peter

Just made some nice ginger biscuits. I have some plum cake I made on Monday left in the fridge, which should be still safe to eat on Friday, but as my plum tree is yielding a big crop, will probably make more plum cake Thursday evening. Do you have a support boat for tea-making? Let's make Friday "Proper Refreshments Day".

Hi peterboat,

I'm afraid to say that you're right. If you tell her, please be gentle.. I've not informed her yet. Might be best to wait until she's afloat again, but totally up to you. I know how much she loved fairstar!

Top tip Arthur, I like it!!

Peter x. That's great news! I'll be around on Friday from about 10am I suspect... Doing my thing. Wow, what an amazing treat!! We could turn it into a bizarre series of great British bake off by the side of things.. Know of any yeast or flour that could help my boat rise I wonder?! Chortle chortle...

Marcus

X

Hi peterboat,

I'm afraid to say that you're right. If you tell her, please be gentle.. I've not informed her yet. Might be best to wait until she's afloat again, but totally up to you. I know how much she loved fairstar!

Top tip Arthur, I like it!!

Peter x. That's great news! I'll be around on Friday from about 10am I suspect... Doing my thing. Wow, what an amazing treat!! We could turn it into a bizarre series of great British bake off by the side of things.. Know of any yeast or flour that could help my boat rise I wonder?! Chortle chortle...

Marcus

X

Hi Marcus,

She is a lovely boat and I am sure that once she is up and floating she will be sorted out by you and possibly people from the forum, for the most part we only want to help. Their are some that are arses frusty.gif but as someone who has had 18 inches of water in his boat through no fault of my own I can say that it does clean up, hard work to say the least but I am sure you will get their captain.gif Good luck and when we visit London later this year we will pop along and view a once again beautiful boat

Peter

• Greenie 2

Hi Marcus,

She is a lovely boat and I am sure that once she is up and floating she will be sorted out by you and possibly people from the forum, for the most part we only want to help. Their are some that are arses :banghead: but as someone who has had 18 inches of water in his boat through no fault of my own I can say that it does clean up, hard work to say the least but I am sure you will get their :captain: Good luck and when we visit London later this year we will pop along and view a once again beautiful boat

Peter

Hear hear hear. Greenie on its way

• Greenie 1

Hope you get her sorted, Marcus. Great to see the spirit of the forum kicking in, most of the guys do anything they can to help people.

I am the last one to throw stones, especially as having just dry docked my boat, the base plate on both sides at the back was letting in water! Opps. The last time she was out of water and checked was only 15 months ago!

If I decided to not be sensible and go out for a jolly instead of re blacking her, it could have ended very differently.

Good luck.

This is a bit of an aside, but something that's puzzled me. The boat is apparently sitting on the bottom because I'd expect even a wooden boat, with the weight of the engine, to sink when waterlogged. But why isn't the Thames deeper there? My experience of punting on it at Oxford was that once you got about 30' out from the bank, it was too deep to use a punt pole, i.e. over about 12' deep, and the technique for crossing over was to push hard to get moving then just use the paddle for a few minutes until reaching shallow enough water on the far side 100 yards or so downstream. At Kingston the river width will have been hemmed in a bit more by man-made embankments, and by then various tributaries (Kennet, Wey, Mole, Colne) have added to the volume, so unless a lot of water has evaporated or been extracted the flow should be greater and I'd expect a minimum depth of 12' in midstream, especially alongside an island.

The main navigation channel is on the other (Middlesex) side of the island. Could the shallowness on the Surrey side be caused by silt deposition caused by the same natural processes that formed the island?

ETA The islands have changed quite a bit since this map from around 1868-1878:

StevensAit1878.JPG

Edited by Mr Badger

Hi Marcus,

Lyne knows about the boat Spaceyface a member on here let the cat out of the bag!! Having said that he is her neighbour I hope he broke it to her gently ?It was my fault though because I brought the thread to his notice so I will don the tin hat

Peter

This is a bit of an aside, but something that's puzzled me. The boat is apparently sitting on the bottom because I'd expect even a wooden boat, with the weight of the engine, to sink when waterlogged. But why isn't the Thames deeper there? My experience of punting on it at Oxford was that once you got about 30' out from the bank, it was too deep to use a punt pole, i.e. over about 12' deep, and the technique for crossing over was to push hard to get moving then just use the paddle for a few minutes until reaching shallow enough water on the far side 100 yards or so downstream. At Kingston the river width will have been hemmed in a bit more by man-made embankments, and by then various tributaries (Kennet, Wey, Mole, Colne) have added to the volume, so unless a lot of water has evaporated or been extracted the flow should be greater and I'd expect a minimum depth of 12' in midstream, especially alongside an island.

We went aground there on Fulbourne once when we went the 'wrong' side of the Island.

Tim