G U turning into a marina

Top cat

Featured Posts

I always carry our license and mooring 'discs' on the boat, but don't display them, mainly because we only have small ports and it would cut down the light, and our view outside.

The reg no. is shown on the boat, and the C&RT license checkers always input that number into their machine. They have never insisted I display the disc or that I produce them for inspection (that is not supposition, I've often been on board when they check, sometimes at the home mooring, other times out cruising). We've often left the boat at marinas for short periods and not one has mentioned license discs - I have to assume that they check the number on the boat with the C&RT website mentioned in a previous post.

Also, with modern printers and computers it would be easy to produce a license that would fool the average private 'inspector'.

Sorry to change it back to the OP (I think we need a "on topic smiley!).......I know I'm a year or so out of date but the only place that I had trouble finding an overnight mooring travelling South (including through London) was at Norton Junction, with only a 25.5' cruiser the only place I could find was tucked in at the end of the lock moorings. Normally I can find a gap between boats to jump in but around that area Coming from the Soar there wasn't room for a dinghy between them.

What like the one you were swearing at this afternoon coming up the flight with the umbrella

Only because everyone else said look how fast he was going, and the fact that it was a scruffy boat.

Shock, horror! I passed a moored boat, don't think it's been anywhere for years look about it.

It has a 09 license showing.

Is it my business NO.

Do it pi** me off that potentially that vessel is not licensed? Yes it does a little if it's true. We struggle to pay our way. But we do pay our way.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

Absolutely. Our tax disc holder in our car isn't very efficient either. I'm still waiting for the folk on here to admit to checking car windows for valid tax discs - the evasion of which has far more serious consequences.

I will never get my head around folks who peer into boats windows to check whether their licence is valid rather than enjoy their boating experience.

I'm seriously thinking about taking ours out of the window and replacing them with the 2008 ones I still have. Sitting beside the ACC sticker in our window it could cause some serious apoplexy to the curtain twitchers who spend their days chuntering rather than enjoying their boating.

It's great sport, I never display a licence when I'm out. If I could find some wildly out of date I'd display them. I might though having read this thread put some old tax discs from my car in the window.

This. as I'm sure you know, if you are honest with yourself, is one of the biggest loads of exaggerated bollocks that anyone has posted on this topic for quite a while.

There are many ways of presenting things, aren't there, and I would suggest yours is hardly impartial.

Alan you are right

I apologise

Terry

Shock, horror! I passed a moored boat, don't think it's been anywhere for years look about it.

It has a 09 license showing.

Is it my business NO.

Do it pi** me off that potentially that vessel is not licensed? Yes it does a little if it's true. We struggle to pay our way. But we do pay our way.

Martyn

It takes seconds to check whether a boat is licenced on CRT waters. Just enter the boat's index number here:-

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

I just checked mine, and, surprise, surprise, it *is* licenced.

- but only because there is a need for them.

Why?

Perhaps a "Pass at a reasonable speed please but don't worry too much as I have moored my boat up correctly and securely so there is little movement." sign would be more appropriate.

Why?

Perhaps a "Pass at a reasonable speed please but don't worry too much as I have moored my boat up correctly and securely so there is little movement." sign would be more appropriate.

Nay lad. such a long message takes a long time to read and distracts the steerer from his concentration upon the watery road ahead.

Why does it always come down to comments like "if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be boating" We have a right of passage and if you happen to be moored up make sure you are securely moored so that passing boats don't disturb you. As for the kerb crawlers doing 2 mph keep your eyes open to the rear as well as ahead, if you were in a car you would be watching your rear view mirror so why not on the water

Why does it always come down to comments like "if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be boating" We have a right of passage and if you happen to be moored up make sure you are securely moored so that passing boats don't disturb you. As for the kerb crawlers doing 2 mph keep your eyes open to the rear as well as ahead, if you were in a car you would be watching your rear view mirror so why not on the water

I guess the reason that such comments get made is because they accurately describe the situation.

I've said this before, boats going pass us over the past couple of weeks have definitely been going TOO fast. Even though we have three ropes out, two forming a spring and the other on the now to just keep the bow in, we do get thrown about abit. It's true, not just hire boats but some dosy git in a daydream not thinking about what he's doing, looking and talking about the two scarecrows in the field, I add,in the field, not us.

I can name the hire companies that I suspect doesn't drum it into hirers to slow down. Napton for one.

Martyn.

Why?

I'm making a "Pass as fast as you like, I've moored up properly" sign for the window.

It's always the same this time of year.

It is also NOT mostly hirers in my experience

I'd have to agree with this as well.

We've been moored in our current location for the past 5 days, and I would estimate that at least 40% of the boats that pass us are hire boats. I would also estimate that 4 out of 5 of them slow down to a reasonable speed while passing. However out of the remainder of boats which I would hazard are either privately owned or share boats, it's more like 3 out of 5 that slow down at all, and about 2 out of 5 to a reasonable speed.

Please note, I have only based this on boats with modern engines, as I appreciate that the older engines sometimes can't slow down as much without loosing control.

The above isn't a complaint, just an observation. I've spent a fair amount of time on the front deck the past few days so have had a chance to watch a lot of boats pass us. As Dave has us tied up nice and tight, we don't move about much at all, however I don't think I'd enjoy being on the skinny boats ahead and behind us. Funny enough the 2 wide beams that passed, have done so at a crawl speed.

Edited by Bettie Boo

Please note, I have only based this on boats with modern engines, as I appreciate that the older engines sometimes can't slow down as much without loosing control.

Somebody with a vintage engine has been telling you porkies.

"estimate that at least 40% of the boats that pass us are hire boats".

"I would also estimate that 4 out of 5 of them slow down to a reasonable speed while passing".

"I would hazard are either privately owned or share boats"

"it's more like 3 out of 5 that slow down at all, and about 2 out of 5 to a reasonable speed"

First week out of the marina then welcome to the world where boats move, but I love the statistics you've made upsmile.png

I hazard to estimate that it's more like 70% of statistics are correct and the other 80% are made up rolleyes.gif

Possibly having a widebeam makes it more difficult for people to pass the mooring you have chosen for this week. The slower you go the less steering you have are you near a bend or somewhere the engine may need be needed to navigate past you? When you moor up you don't get rights over the canal and towpath where you moor, you just get to moor up and that's it, just out of the marina for the first time and suddenly you're making the rules.