Audlem Annual Gathering of Historic Narrowboats

Featured Posts

Have got photos, but not really the technology to post much now we only have the facilities on "Sickle".

In particular my main laptop is refusing to charge off its 12v adaptor, and we don't have 230v available, except by a lash up involving crocodile clips straight off the starter battery, (we have no "domestics").

We need to get a lot of miles in, but I'll see what I can do, if at all later.

(Now enjoying breakfast on a "patio" that is in so much sunshine I can't see the screen on this tablet!)

Have got photos, but not really the technology to post much now we only have the facilities on "Sickle".

In particular my main laptop is refusing to charge off its 12v adaptor, and we don't have 230v available, except by a lash up involving crocodile clips straight off the starter battery, (we have no "domestics").

We need to get a lot of miles in, but I'll see what I can do, if at all later.

(Now enjoying breakfast on a "patio" that is in so much sunshine I can't see the screen on this tablet!)

I did look on your blog to see if any had appeared there, but that explains why they haven't!

Sorry to have a moan but there is a distinct lack of photo's in this thread!

OK, I've added some more. Sorry they are general views rather than specific boats, but should give you a bit of an idea of what it was like...

Click to enlarge or look in my gallery.

P1040337

P1040334

P1040333

P1040331

P1040329

Img 0376

Img 0372

08Boats through The bridge

Edited by dor

OK a random selection of photos, largely taken by my son David.

Apologies if any are poorly focussed, I'm struggling to see the detail against the sun on our "patio"!

IMG_9150_zps515844c2.jpg

IMG_9180_zps64d22cd5.jpg

IMG_9157_zps5cb8c7e7.jpg

IMG_9152_zpsbc0de386.jpg

IMG_9163_zpsca65c0bd.jpg

IMG_9170_zps2f745d5a.jpg

IMG_9183_zps30cc9adf.jpg

IMG_9185_zps78900f78.jpg

IMG_9186_zps5353d41d.jpg

IMG_9274_zps5e2e60ab.jpg

IMG_9206_zpsfb47f282.jpg

IMG_9188_zpse00d98dc.jpg

IMG_9248_zpsfca5949e.jpg

IMG_9276_zpsfa97e5fb.jpg

IMG_9278_zps954df354.jpg

Well we had a great time, but are now heading back away from Audlem.

It seems quite amazing that despite Mr Norman's worst fears, not one single riveted rust-bucket sank the whole weekend. In fact even with all wood, or wood bottomed composite historic craft present, I didn't even spot a pump running.

I guess we must all have got incredibly lucky!

I only just looked at this thread because I preferred to keep the moral high ground and not introduce a sour note into a thread about a pleasant get-together, unlike certain other people! However I just wanted to say that it is not too surprising that nothing sank, since they are all on the bottom anyway (and I should know, having a fairly deep drafted, though waterproof, boat myself).

Anyway, I am delighted to see that there is at least one Hudson in your photos - it would almost have made it worth a visit.

Edited by nicknorman

The highlight of the event occurred at 9.20am on the sunday morning.

Having heard that a large number of those rusty, rivet infested monstrosities had gathered at Audlem, a well known member of this forum decided to pay a visit by helicopter, self piloted of course.

He flew up and down the site looking for mooring infringements, especially near the water points. Sadly, for him, only one horse boat was present and it was properly tied, well away from any liquid dispensing points.

He then went and landed on the nearby field where all the land based rivet infested historic monstrosities gather during the day.

Sadly, the secondary reason for the "flying" visit, that is to wake up all those rust bucket owners, was not achieved as the majority had consumed far too much beer the night before to be bothered by an overgrown gnat.cheers.gif

George ex nb Alton retired

Sadly not me, but I did hear the machine was going to land nearer but thought better of it since the vibration might have caused rivets to fall out and excited the woodworm to much.

Pity there was even one there! It was a historic boat gathering, sadly theres nothing "historic" about "Hudson", fine craft but based on what? Charrington Gardner & Locket West London tug peraphs?

I only just looked at this thread because I preferred to keep the moral high ground and not introduce a sour note into a thread about a pleasant get-together, unlike certain other people! However I just wanted to say that it is not too surprising that nothing sank, since they are all on the bottom anyway (and I should know, having a fairly deep drafted, though waterproof, boat myself).

Anyway, I am delighted to see that there is at least one Hudson in your photos - it would almost have made it worth a visit.

Pity there was even one there! It was a historic boat gathering, sadly theres nothing "historic" about "Hudson", fine craft but based on what? Charrington Gardner & Locket West London tug peraphs?

I was there because it lives there. Unless you were incredibly stupid you would know that there is nothing historic either claimed or in actuality, about a Hudson - thank god! It is based on .... a Hudson (surprise surprise!). Anyway, fortunately for you it was tolerant of its aged interlopers.

Edited by nicknorman

Absolutely wonderful! Almost lost for words! Had an email from an old friend, Roger Wickson, today, who also saw the real thing at Audlem. His last view of the practice was the Whitlocks in action in the late 60s. So much has been lost. A pity.

Nostalgic Dave

Nice video. I suppose my only question is "what happened to the boat waiting to go down"? Were they informed that the line prevented them entering the lock until the butty had passed through (thus delaying them and wasting water) or did they just decide to wait? If the former, I can't see that happening in the days of yore so in order to get full marks, we need to see two such pairs transmitting in opposite directions - motor up - motor down - butty up - butty down.

Nick

I was there on Saturday, all bywashes gurgling happily.....a lockful of water would have been neither here nor there in the scheme of things. If you are unable to appreciate a recreation of working practice without niggling caveats, then I almost despair....time I hung up my windlass and leave the cut to others, I'm sick of the way things have developed...petty point scoring among folk who have little, if any knowledge of how things used to be. The cut is my workshop as well as my playground, though for how much longer is a debateable question. Your pontifications, probably tongue in cheek, do little to help..you appear technically knowledgeable, but that seems to be as far as it goes.

Dave

• Greenie 4

Nick

I was there on Saturday, all bywashes gurgling happily.....a lockful of water would have been neither here nor there in the scheme of things. If you are unable to appreciate a recreation of working practice without niggling caveats, then I almost despair....time I hung up my windlass and leave the cut to others, I'm sick of the way things have developed...petty point scoring among folk who have little, if any knowledge of how things used to be. The cut is my workshop as well as my playground, though for how much longer is a debateable question. Your pontifications, probably tongue in cheek, do little to help..you appear technically knowledgeable, but that seems to be as far as it goes.

Dave

Well quoted Dave, I agree with all your sentiments, too many shiny boats too little real knowledge.

Clearly this is the old fogies thread "things were so much better in the past" etc so I was careful not to be disparaging and felt I had made a valid point about how things would have been done in the real "good old days". In fact I had no desire to be disparaging because the video was enjoyable and was glad to see the locks being operated in a sympathetic yet efficient way etc. Unfortunately you don't seem to care about that, only being interested in your Disney version of how things were done with the rose tinted glasses on.

Unfortunately for you (fortunately for the rest of us) things can't be frozen in time, and you have a choice either to move with the times (which doesn't mean abandoning old skills and ways, merely learning new ones as well), or to become unhappy. It is a pity you seem to be choosing the latter.

Do you really imagine that there were not arguments and petty point scoring in your sorely missed olden days. Fisticuffs at the locks more like! At least we only do it virtually!

Anyway, I'm sorry you felt a preference for insulting me over answering my point about opposite direction traffic. It would have been interesting to know how it was done without entanglement.

Edited by nicknorman

I was talking to Glyn on Sunday, it's great to see the loaded pair being worked and to know they have not had any problems with depth on any of the canals they have travelled on during this trip. I think you can safely say they are pretty deep draughted.

Well quoted Dave, I agree with all your sentiments, too many shiny boats too little real knowledge.

What utter rubbish.

Our, and I use that word purposefully waterways are not just a playground for old boats, with old farts at the tillers......there is room for us all.

ed. to add an important word.

Edited by The Dog House