Doodlebugs revolutionary toilet update!

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Finally got round to giving you that update on my toilet idea that you all said wouldn't work!

So here is the set up:

Jabsco ceramic sea toilet - £110

1.5 inch flexible sewage pipe (20cm)

Macerator pump - £60

1 inch flexible pipe (20cm)

21mm overflow pvc solvent weld pipe (6m)

Jerry can spout - £6

20l jerry can - £20

Total cost not including pipe - 196

So the ceramic sea toilet pumps the waste through the 1.5 inch pipe into the macerator which has to be switched on before flushing. Waste gets macerated and then pumped through the 1 inch pipe all the way to the jerry can spout where it is jubilee clipped on. Waste then goes into the jerry cans. Emptying is a simple case of unclip, walk, pour, walk back, clip.

No drips, no carrying the cassette through the boat. No dropping the jerry can causing it to break, jerry cans are 1/4 of the price of cassettes AND the waste is all macerated so it doesn't splash when you pour it down the Elsan. And no blockages in the pipes.

I flush the toilet with blue which comes from a 10l jerry can where it is mixed with water.

Modifications I made:

I took out the diaphragm from the macerating pump. It was noisy and not needed. It was fighting against the jabsco toilet pump mechanism so made sense to take it out. It is now just a spinning blade inside the set up.

Second thing I did was drill 6 x 6mm holes in the top of the jerry can to allow air out.

I check it every day to make sure it doesn't overflow but do intend to put a water sensor in there to prevent the pump coming on if it is full. But this hasn't happened. Because it is a manual flush I can use as little flush water as I need to and the jerry can lasts for about a week roughly.

Ohh and when you flush the toilet instead of the blue smell coming into the bathroom it goes outside. I have been outside when its flushed and haven't noticed any smells.

Two photos for you. I still need to use white sealant around the oak base on the toilet to neaten it up but its starting to look ok.

10479161_856389931052196_466427821373012

10553520_856389941052195_525894836901494

The light switch is the switch for the macerator.

It really does work well - comments appreciated though!

Thank you! Which storage area? The area below the toilet was a result of having to lift it all up due to the toilet being quite low. But i'm having difficulty working out a way to neaten this area up. Because the floor just in front is a false one allowing shower water underneath to an automatic bilge. But the area needs to curve in two directions hence the problem. But i'll work out a way to cover it when I get back to it and finish the sealant.

If you mean the area on the back the last jobs to do are secure the generator down securely.

Nice work, really glad it works for you.

I just wonder that if diesel thieves are around they'll end up pouring your poo in their tanks.

I'm waiting in the hope they get stolen! It would be hilarious. I was planning on hiding the jerry cans somehow but everyone who sees it just thinks I have some clever system for delivering fuel to the engine so it obviously doesn't look like a poo tank!

I hold my hands up I was a sceptic (or should that be septic) - well done thats it working so well. Have you given any consideration to it freezing up in the Winter ?

Thanks! Ahh yes well I was planning on getting either some antifreeze or some natural antifreeze to prevent that problem. Not sure what is allowed down the elsan. But I suspect if blue can go down there then anything can :/

I check it every day to make sure it doesn't overflow but do intend to put a water sensor in there to prevent the pump coming on if it is full. But this hasn't happened. Because it is a manual flush I can use as little flush water as I need to and the jerry can lasts for about a week roughly.

That is a lot less than an ordinary macerating toilet. I presume you have carried out a time and motion survey. unsure.png

Edited by mango

Well yes true it probably lasts more than a week but as you can see we have two jerry cans so I just swap them over then its easier to carry.

The holes was a bit of a problem to be honest, when I first got them I thought the small air hole in the spout would be enough. Then I connected it all up and needed to use the toilet! Ideally a valve would be good which I will do at some point.

Its better than a pump out toilet because I don't have to pay to empty it!

I assume from the picture the Jabsco bowl is hand pumped rather than 12v? I used to have a similar bowl on a previous boat and that's the best method in my opinion. My previous system didn't have a macerator but it went to a nasty pump-out.

The only downside of your new system I can see is that the jerry cans have to be stored outside. I think I'd want some sort of vented locker.

I don't suppose you could post a schematic diagram when you have time? How far is the bowl from the tanks and how far do you reckon you could pump the waste with that hand pump? I may do something similar when my Vacuflush finally gives up, but my bathroom is about 30ft from a locker on the stern deck where I could store jerry cans. What diameter hose is it and is it sanitary grade? Also isn't unscrewing jubilee clips on the jerry cans a bit of a hassle when you want to empty them? What prevents the hose staying full of waste?

Thanks

Edited by blackrose

Should be two pics

Yes a inside vented locker would be good and is something I originally wanted but space is always the issue. Yes it's hand pumped meaning less water can be used. It's 6m currently though PVC waste pipe which in theory won't smell. Outside it's just flexible hose.

Nope I'll post another photo but it's the jerry can spout. It's a simple lever to undo it with a rubber gasket. Takes a second to undo

They aren't weeds they are tomatoes! Yes at Uxbridge at the moment. Feel free to knock next time you pass us. Although moving up the canal soon since I've lost track of days and two weeks must be approaching. Boats called 'edgehog if your not sure.

And the pipes do have waste remaining but a good amount is blown out with air. I think the length is pretty infinite but not sure about height. Though I'm sure it could be pumped to the roof.

Yes at Uxbridge at the moment. Feel free to knock next time you pass us.

We went past you last week and we exchanged hello's (like you do!) smile.png

The rear of your boat is quite distingiuished. We are the Gas Light and Coke boat.

Edited by mark99

We went past you last week and we exchanged hello's (like you do!) smile.png

The rear of your boat is quite distingiuished. We are the Gas Light and Coke boat.

Ahh yes I remember. You probably saw the unfinished side of the boat. I'm half way through repainting and you saw the unfinished side. Quite proud of the other side though!