Switch between 2 different 240V inputs

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

I want some kind of manual selector switch that will allow me to chose between 2 different 240V sources, but only ever 1 source at a time (maybe with a central off position as well). But I dont know what or where to look for.

I already have shore power, & a 240V system which is for an immersion heater, & normal house plug sockets (washing machine, microwave, computer, & whatever else I may plug in).

I have an invert/charger combi unit which has always been temperamental at recognising shore power, & the last couple of weeks its got a lot worse, now losing shore power several times a day, which means I cant charge batteries & have no shore power. The inverter side of things works just fine.

So I intend to disconnect the shore power in [from] the inverter/charger combi, & instead add a new battery charger & re-do my shore power connection.

Currently I have shore power in, which goes to an RCD(1) then from there into my inverter/charger combi.
Out of the inverter/charger combi it goes to another RCD(2) (1 big switch 2 little switches) for sockets & immersion heater.

I want my new set up to be shore power to RCD(1), then split to the new battery charger, & to a selector switch.

The selector switch will be between the inverter & RCD(2). So that I can only chose 240V from either my shore power OR the inverter.

I will be getting someone competent to do this for me, but I want to source the parts. I cant find what selector switch I need or even what it's called. The closest I've got is "single pole double throw", but all the ones I've seen look like tiny switches too small for the job, I was kind of expecting 1 of those big red things you get in factories that power their electrics.

We don't use or need a switch and only have a single consumer unit.

Our consumer unit has a main feed with a standard 3 pin plug on the end that plugs into the inverter.

The shore line lead is wired to a HD double socket fitted above the inverter.

So you either plug your consumer unit into the inverter or shore power double socket, it's a full proof method with no switch needed. We're full time live aboard so rarely use shoreline, but if we use a generator it plugs into the shore line external socket which leads to the double socket. The reason for a double socket is the battery charger is permanently connected in one port, so when shore line or generator power is running the batteries are automatically charging.

Considering how little we actually need to change from shore line to inverter it simply doesn't warrant the cost or effort of fitting one, and TBH I wouldn't bother even if weekend cruising out of a marina.

KISS

Edited by Julynian

Make sure if you buy this sort of change over switch it comes with a wiring diagram. Many don't because of the large number of different permutations you might have. Mine didn't and I had to spend an hour or so puzzling the connections out to make absolutely certain I had got it correct. I made my own box for it by using a simple standard junction box and cutting a hole in the blank cover.

Edited by Peter Corbett

CPC do a range of cam switches, have to buy the handle separately but the overall price is reasonably low, about £18 overall for 3 pole changeover with centre off.:

http://cpc.farnell.com/imo-precision-controls/cs20a-u3/switch-cam-3p-changeover/dp/MC01584

http://cpc.farnell.com/imo-precision-controls/sp2/handle-cam-switch/dp/MC01581

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/647438.xml

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Another vote for the Kraus & Naimer, they seem to be an industry standard for this sort of application. Several years ago the importers built a four pole three way switch for me to allow double pole break before make selection of three different AC sources, with selective routing for the inverter supply.

We don't use or need a switch and only have a single consumer unit.

Our consumer unit has a main feed with a standard 3 pin plug on the end that plugs into the inverter.

The shore line lead is wired to a HD double socket fitted above the inverter.

So you either plug your consumer unit into the inverter or shore power double socket, it's a full proof method with no switch needed. We're full time live aboard so rarely use shoreline, but if we use a generator it plugs into the shore line external socket which leads to the double socket. The reason for a double socket is the battery charger is permanently connected in one port, so when shore line or generator power is running the batteries are automatically charging.

Considering how little we actually need to change from shore line to inverter it simply doesn't warrant the cost or effort of fitting one, and TBH I wouldn't bother even if weekend cruising out of a marina.

KISS

Just a word of warning, if both the inverter and shore supply are both 'live' at the same time and the inverter is neutral to earth bonded then you could have a voltage difference between the 2 live supply wires of up to 500v depending on the phase difference. It used to be the rule and maybe still is that in industrial premises there must be a six foot distance between sockets on different phases. So I would be very careful if using both supplies at the same time.

Another vote for the Kraus & Naimer, they seem to be an industry standard for this sort of application. Several years ago the importers built a four pole three way switch for me to allow double pole break before make selection of three different AC sources, with selective routing for the inverter supply.

I have been given one of these but any wiring diagrams out there?

Thanks peeps, that Kraus & Naimer switch is just what I'm looking ofr. I'm a firm believer in KISS. Seeing as I'm keeping my existing inverter/charger, just disconnecting the charger bit from the shore power, I dont think the plug thing will work for me, too much extra wiring.

(I think it's the big automatic switching relay that detects shore power that has failed)

I had to google 'consumer unit' & the 1st 1 that came up looked more complicated than what was in the old mansion house I used to live in! :D

But thank you everyone, ordering tomorrow, a bit drunk now, & I've learnt the hard way not to go ordering stuff off the net after a few bevvies.

I will have shore power again soon. :)

they normally come with the switch but a clear head, a test meter, a pencil and a notebook and lots of patience will give you the answer

Probably a tad more complex than most need but this is the wiring diagram for the four pole switch I mentioned above. It allows selection of three AC sources with the number of available output sockets limited when on inverter.

ACwiring.jpg

Probably a tad more complex than most need but this is the wiring diagram for the four pole switch I mentioned above. It allows selection of three AC sources with the number of available output sockets limited when on inverter.

ACwiring.jpg

Very fine (speaking as someone else who uses the "move the plug" approach.

Does the water maker help when you come across an empty pound??

plug.jpg

Very fine (speaking as someone else who uses the "move the plug" approach.

Does the water maker help when you come across an empty pound??

No its to stop you dying of thirst when you cross an ocean wink.png

Installation was on my last sailing boat.

Our boat has a selector switch for Genny 240 input and Shoreline 240 input.

If you plug the shorepower in when the selector switch is on "Generator" it blows the marina's shorepower fuse.

If you plug the shorepower in when the selector switch is on "Generator" it blows the marina's shorepower fuse.

Then its wired incorrectly and should be sorted! There should be no connection of either shorepower live or neutral when genny is selected.

My setup is the same except it doesn't blow any fuses.

I want some kind of manual selector switch that will allow me to chose between 2 different 240V sources, but only ever 1 source at a time (maybe with a central off position as well). But I dont know what or where to look for.

I already have shore power, & a 240V system which is for an immersion heater, & normal house plug sockets (washing machine, microwave, computer, & whatever else I may plug in).

I have an invert/charger combi unit which has always been temperamental at recognising shore power, & the last couple of weeks its got a lot worse, now losing shore power several times a day, which means I cant charge batteries & have no shore power. The inverter side of things works just fine.

So I intend to disconnect the shore power in [from] the inverter/charger combi, & instead add a new battery charger & re-do my shore power connection.

Currently I have shore power in, which goes to an RCD(1) then from there into my inverter/charger combi.

Out of the inverter/charger combi it goes to another RCD(2) (1 big switch 2 little switches) for sockets & immersion heater.

I want my new set up to be shore power to RCD(1), then split to the new battery charger, & to a selector switch.

The selector switch will be between the inverter & RCD(2). So that I can only chose 240V from either my shore power OR the inverter.

I will be getting someone competent to do this for me, but I want to source the parts. I cant find what selector switch I need or even what it's called. The closest I've got is "single pole double throw", but all the ones I've seen look like tiny switches too small for the job, I was kind of expecting 1 of those big red things you get in factories that power their electrics.

Hi ya, I've got 3 of these, they are A fit and forget Item, and stops any conflict issues.

http://images.mastervolt.nl/images/products/large/5522_masterswitch5kva230v.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu2fkt0x7ua3896/IMAG0112%20%281%29.jpg

I don't have to do anything, no switches to flick over, so I can't forget anything, which after a few Ciders n Donuts is a big help.

So say Ime Cruising along, and I'm on Inverter 230v. All is fine n dandy, I then Moore up and start my Generator it automatically switches to that. Without me having to worry about the inverter or switches ect, I just start the Generator & my inverter goes to sleep.

Then say I then plug into Shore Power, it automatically switches to that without me having to worry about the Generator or switches ect, I just Plug in & my Generator goes to sleep.

This gives an uninterrupted safe 230v power supply, & gives me piece of mind.

I call them Priority Switches (my interpretation) as the way I've got my 230v system wired up is to take power from-

1, Shore, if available first, If Not then -

2, Inverter, if available second, if Not then -

3, Generator, if available Third, if Not then have the day off.

It then Automatically works the same in reverse ofcourse when unplugging as well

& as I say to most, it works for me just fine.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi ya, I've got 3 of these, they are A fit and forget Item, and stops any conflict issues.

http://images.mastervolt.nl/images/products/large/5522_masterswitch5kva230v.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu2fkt0x7ua3896/IMAG0112%20%281%29.jpg

I don't have to do anything, no switches to flick over, so I can't forget anything, which after a few Ciders n Donuts is a big help.

So say Ime Cruising along, and I'm on Inverter 230v. All is fine n dandy, I then Moore up and start my Generator it automatically switches to that. Without me having to worry about the inverter or switches ect, I just start the Generator.

Then say I then plug into Shore Power, it automatically switches to that without me having to worry about the Generator or switches ect, I just Plug in.

This gives an uninterrupted safe 230v power supply, & gives me piece of mind.

I call them Priority Switches (my interpretation) as the way I've got my 230v system wired up is to take power from-

1, Shore, if available first, If Not then -

2, Inverter, if available second, if Not then -

3, Generator, if available Third, if Not then have the day off.

& as I say to most, it works for me just fine.

How much did all that cost? And.....does the inverter auto-power-off when it has no load for a while, or do you need to turn off the 12V connection to it too?