Braunston Historic Boat Rally

junior

Featured Posts

They are private to the Boathouse, so usual rules apply.

IIRC patrons only (obviously) and maximum stay 4 hours.

I did wonder whether everyone played fair with them or whether people took occupation for the weekend under some agreement with the pub.

I'm clutching at straws/thinking outside the box to try and find a mooring where we can watch the boat parades from my own boat.

That 4 hour rule is confusing, what happens if you want to stay overnight, or if you want to eat there for lunch and dinner? Last time we were there I asked the manager and even he didn't know the answer.

I did wonder whether everyone played fair with them or whether people took occupation for the weekend under some agreement with the pub.

I'm clutching at straws/thinking outside the box to try and find a mooring where we can watch the boat parades from my own boat.

Well when possible we have taken a boat down there to avoid the overly loud beer tent music that makes conversation impossible.

Last year it was the "Reginald" trip, they year before "Sickle" was the taxi.

This would be impossible if anyone took up residence, so I rather hope normal fair play applies, (as it is tedious having to ram other boats out the way with "Sickle" :lol:).

That 4 hour rule is confusing, what happens if you want to stay overnight, or if you want to eat there for lunch and dinner? Last time we were there I asked the manager and even he didn't know the answer.

Yes it is.

I think they waive it and let you stay overnight provided you have had a meal there - well I know they do, because they have!

Whilst (unlike many) I don't mind the Boathouse, I think your other question is a bit academic, as only the most devout "Bouathouser" would choose to have 2 meals there in one day, I think!

I am not 100% that is actually true. I know one of the previous managers doubted that it was actually theirs.

I think they waive it and let you stay overnight provided you have had a meal there - well I know they do, because they have!

Whilst (unlike many) I don't mind the Boathouse, I think your other question is a bit academic, as only the most devout "Bouathouser" would choose to have 2 meals there in one day, I think!

If the rule is waived overnight, the signs should say so, and/or the bar staff and manager should be aware of that. Instead we got a grudging and surly agreement, after 5 of us had eaten dinner there, that we would be allowed to stay there provided we had left before they opened in the morning.

On another occasion we wanted to do something unusual but which works for us, which was to have a starter and dessert at lunchtime, and a main course in the evening (with plenty to drink with both) but I didn't complicate matters by asking for a ruling.

If the rule is waived overnight, the signs should say so, and/or the bar staff and manager should be aware of that. Instead we got a grudging and surly agreement, after 5 of us had eaten dinner there, that we would be allowed to stay there provided we had left before they opened in the morning.

On another occasion we wanted to do something unusual but which works for us, which was to have a starter and dessert at lunchtime, and a main course in the evening (with plenty to drink with both) but I didn't complicate matters by asking for a ruling.

I have known boats to stop overnight and one to stop for several weeks all in the past 4 months

I have known boats to stop overnight and one to stop for several weeks all in the past 4 months

Yeah, but you might find them get a bit shirty if it was for the weekend of the festival.

Can't you get a mooring in the marina for the weekend?

Does anyone know what happens with The Boathouse pub customer moorings for the duration of the show?

A couple of times in the past before the parades were split and it was a bit more chaotic we have stopped at the Boathouse mid parade for a pint!

Tim

I was thinking actually before I got a bunk for the duration I was going to take Springy down into the marina for it. It is worth asking if they have space on a pontoon where you can watch. but I'd ask sooner rather than later, as lots of other people get the same idea, plus they offer free moorings for the weekends to the holders of the LTM's outside the marina in case they want to get in out of the way while its all going on.

I'm taking a hire boat through Braunston on the Thursday, to return it to Stockton Top Marina on the Friday morning. At the moment the plan is Newbold to The Boat at Stockton on the Thursday - can anyone with experience of this sort of event tell me if this is likely to significantly delay me? For example could there be related congestion at Calcutt locks? Any advice appreciated.

The only time that the Braunston Historic Boat event could cause any significant delay to boats not participating is during the parades on Saturday and Sunday.

Although every attempt is made to try and get other boats through the congestion that occurs, they don't always get it right, and in the worst cases of some of the more disorganised years delays of a couple of hours, (or maybe even more), sometimes happened.

The number attending have fallen somewhat, and the organisation seems better, and I doubt if anyone got held up by more than an hour last year.

Famous last words - it will probably be grid-lock this year.

(Note: During parades a "one way" system operates between the main marina entrance and the second marina entrance at the "ladder bridge". Travelling from the locks to Braunston Turn boats will be asked to pass along the main GU as Normal, but any non participating boat trying to get from Braunston Turn to the locks will likely be asked to join the route of the parade, and pass into the marina through the main entrance, then out again at the "ladder" bridge, before carrying on as normal. The organisers usually provide pilots who will travel with anyone not confident to find their way through the marina on their own - they will even steer for you, if you prefer.

Does anyone know whether Midland Chandlers are giving discounts over the period of the show, A couple of years ago they were offering 15% off everything.

Would be good to know when there next discount is. I am after one of there brass hatches in the long term. And at £450 a pop it might be a reason to go!

Daniel

When we went with Warrior in 2009 we moored quite easily in the Nelson pound, and the year before last Melaleuca moored, I think, above the bottom lock. Neitherbof these are less than 14 days. It depends, of course, on how early you're prepared to get there. Last year they reserved more moorings than usual and I'm not sure they were all used?

In previous years there have been non-historic boats moored on the towpath between about opposite the Boathouse and Braunston turn, from which you get a good view of the parade. I suspect that if you have a word with the right person on the ground you could probably move there on the Saturday morning, if by then it is clear this is not needed for historic boats.

Last year and the year before there were gaps near the turn, and non rally boats moored there, as we did. On the Friday we hung a passing hire boat on the inside of us as they couldn't get a mooring. Secondly a lot of old boats shuffled into the area around the marina on the Sunday to free up towpath space, rather than using up all the time until 6 July. If it's as quiet as foxton which appeared to us as we came through on the Saturday to be a canal time rally it won't be bad...

Glad to hear about pilot through marina got lost first year, to great amusement of commentator ,none of my 3 previous historic boats had darkened braunston marina with their hulls (apart from thaxted that rested there for a while on the bottom in the 60s) after a mid 80s butty turning round incident at the ladder bridge, and subsequent marina resident abuse