And another thing. Slowing down.

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

We gently cruise pass moored boats so as not to disturb or disrupt. But, sitting here in the middle of the countryside, the boats are hammering by, no sign of slowing down at all! All private boats. I have just yelled at one as we were catapulted back and forward. They were most indignant, so am I!

• Greenie 1

We gently cruise pass moored boats so as not to disturb or disrupt. But, sitting here in the middle of the countryside, the boats are hammering by, no sign of slowing down at all! All private boats. I have just yelled at one as we were catapulted back and forward. They were most indignant, so am I!

I bet they were Breton capped, pompous and miserable old farts in traditional historic or shiny boats.

+1

Happens all the time, and the guilty parties are oblivious!

Refugees off the M1. They're oblivious because they're usually too busy bellowing orders the their timid Mrs up front standing to attention clutching a windlass and ropes end

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

I totally agree last week I was aboard a friends boat moored at tixhall wide & all these private boats were going past without even a thought to slowing down. Two boats flew past ( Tarn & Harold ) must have been doing 5mph pulled the pins out of the boat behind the owners had gone of somwere so we had to rescue it. Wot gets me is that its us hirers that get blamed when every hire boat that pasted us did so in tickover.

That is the sort of behaviour we experienced on the Norfolk Broads (amongst other things) and we left. Hope the canals are not going the same way. When we left narrow boating about 8 years ago there were obviously instances of this unsavoury behaviour but I would not say that it was a huge problem then. We just left the canals to try something new on the Broads.

We are currently moored on the Great Ouse (back into narrowboats) where there is not such a problem.

There does seem to be an increase in this locally. Both private and hirers seem guilty of it. It's not an issue as we are well tied up but it does seem a bit out of order.I always try to pass on tick over/walking pace, is this no longer the norm?

That is the sort of behaviour we experienced on the Norfolk Broads (amongst other things) and we left. Hope the canals are not going the same way. When we left narrow boating about 8 years ago there were obviously instances of this unsavoury behaviour but I would not say that it was a huge problem then. We just left the canals to try something new on the Broads.

We are currently moored on the Great Ouse (back into narrowboats) where there is not such a problem.

I think you'll be disappointed, I'm afraid it has gone that way. Most now have engines of twice the power than they need for a start. Also when their massive alternators cease charging the boat gradually speeds up even more!!.

Some people don't seem to understand about their own wash, We have an idiot on the creek, comes howling up and yes he slows down before he gets to the moored boats, what he doesn't seem to understand is that he has just pushed a blxxdy tidal wave up the creek quarter mile in front! Gets shouted at on a regular basis. Always looks uncomprehendingly and says "but I slowed down ages before"

If everyone who gets passed by a speeding boat this summer starts a thread on the forum this is going to get very tedius....

Perhaps we could have one thread and everyone who thinks they are going to achieve something by moaning on the forum about speeding boats could post in one place?

• Greenie 2

I totally agree last week I was aboard a friends boat moored at tixhall wide & all these private boats were going past without even a thought to slowing down. Two boats flew past ( Tarn & Harold ) must have been doing 5mph pulled the pins out of the boat behind the owners had gone of somwere so we had to rescue it. Wot gets me is that its us hirers that get blamed when every hire boat that pasted us did so in tickover.

I don't know the place that well but from my memories you could give plenty of clearance and there shouldn't have been much surge with that width of waterway.....were they cutting it tight?

If everyone who gets passed by a speeding boat this summer starts a thread on the forum this is going to get very tedius....

Perhaps we could have one thread and everyone who thinks they are going to achieve something by moaning on the forum about speeding boats could post in one place?

Greenie sir!

Give it a rest guys ...

At least it's not as acrimonious as the UKIP thread or the Selling the Dog House

I think you'll be disappointed, I'm afraid it has gone that way. Most now have engines of twice the power than they need for a start. Also when their massive alternators cease charging the boat gradually speeds up even more!!.

I have seen no great evidence of it around the River Great Ouse, which is where we are based. We will make excursions to the canals so I hope it is not too bad. Sad (very) development though.

I am wondering about starting a register of boats that tear past without a hint of slowing, so we can all tear past them back, once they have moored...

Ok there are logistical problems but it's nice to muse over the concept! :)

MtB

• Greenie 1

Cruisers seem to be in a hurry most of the time, it's rare to see one going less then the speed limit.

Often way over powered too. but a bit of speed does help them to be more directional in their progress and not blow about so much in a wind. A good many of these need ballast or more ballast in my opinion to help with this. Also many have badly designed, wonky or worn out steering gear with lots of play in it.