Lost Keys!

Maffi

Featured Posts

If it cures stoopidity i may consider getting one myself, possibly two.

Let us know if it works.

It works!

Found a set of keys at the sanny station top of Grindley last year. Mobile number on a tag. Phoned it and left a message. Seems nbr 1 son was on the boat and had lost them. Left with the lock keepers for collection. I should have included contact details on ours then, but...

As a result of Maffi's post, I have recycled our much loved but now deceased dog's collar tag, containing both our contact numbers. Job done.

So thank's Maffi.

I left the keys in the EA water point at Yarwell lock on the Nene. Realised later the same day and after a few phone calls, they made their way back to us via the caravan site office and then FadeToScarlet and BlackIbis who were passing a few days later. It took a week, but it worked.

MP.

Bins bags and keys.

Blimey you are up early Lola

laugh.png

I have been in your shoes once but with some car keys.

I couldn't find them anywhere and it turned from thinking I had lost them to thinking someone has stolen them and asking people who had been in my house if they had them.

A day later I found the keys in my house and they wasn't even in a hard place to find.

laugh.png

I have been in your shoes once but with some car keys.

I lost my car key once which was a ridiculously expensive programmable one so, reluctant to spend more on a key than the old banger was worth I disabled the immobiliser, broke the steering lock, hot wired the car and fitted an ignition switch to start it and never left anything of value in a car I couldn't lock.

When the time came to send the car off to the scrap man I was cleaning all my rubbish out and found the key between the driver's seat and transmission tunnel.

• Greenie 1

A slight word of caution about the generally wise practice of putting a phone number on keys.

The general principle should be that the information on the tag will enable the finder to return your keys, but not to identify what the keys open. So nothing from which the boat or house could be identified. If you give a mobile number, ask yourself what the finder could discover about you from that number, especially by googling it and perhaps following up information revealed by that.

For example if you use the number for business purposes Google might give your name and/or that of a limited company, and if you're a director a search at Companies House might yield your home address. Most people are honest, but assume the worst, that a dishonest person might find your keys and possess the investigative skills of a top journalist.

For the above, or in case you lose your phone too in the same incident, a friend's phone number and "Fred's keys" could go on the tag.

Of course none of the above will help if the keys are lost along with documents or other items which can lead a thief to your house or boat.

A slight word of caution about the generally wise practice of putting a phone number on keys.

The general principle should be that the information on the tag will enable the finder to return your keys, but not to identify what the keys open. So nothing from which the boat or house could be identified. If you give a mobile number, ask yourself what the finder could discover about you from that number, especially by googling it and perhaps following up information revealed by that.

For example if you use the number for business purposes Google might give your name and/or that of a limited company, and if you're a director a search at Companies House might yield your home address. Most people are honest, but assume the worst, that a dishonest person might find your keys and possess the investigative skills of a top journalist.

For the above, or in case you lose your phone too in the same incident, a friend's phone number and "Fred's keys" could go on the tag.

Of course none of the above will help if the keys are lost along with documents or other items which can lead a thief to your house or boat.

I know a guy on another forum I use and just from a mobile number he can find out your address and name as I have seen him do it a few times.

It shocks me how he can get the info just from a phone number.

I know a guy on another forum I use and just from a mobile number he can find out your address and name as I have seen him do it a few times.

It shocks me how he can get the info just from a phone number.

Quite.

I bet if the imagined thief put Maffi's phone number into google there is a good chance it would associate it with his boat name.

MtB

Quite.

I bet if the imagined thief put Maffi's phone number into google there is a good chance it would associate it with his boat name.

MtB

What I have seen this guy do is once he's found a little info he's found lots of info like dating sites and other web sites he has used so don't be so sure he couldn't find Maffis blog.

What I have seen this guy do is once he's found a little info he's found lots of info like dating sites and other web sites he has used so don't be so sure he couldn't find Maffis blog.

And he's not using google to find info but He will not tell us how he gets the info.

Hoping that I'm not tempting fate, but all this debate leaves me quite smug for using a combination padlock on the boat rather than a keyed one - BW and Marina keys are easily replaceable

Hoping that I'm not tempting fate, but all this debate leaves me quite smug for using a combination padlock on the boat rather than a keyed one - BW and Marina keys are easily replaceable

I used to do that but they kept seizing.

I must be lucky - its lasted 4 years now in all weathers.... If I notice it getting stiff I'll replace it before it jams completely

Our boat name is written on the cork ball which is attached to our key ring. I thought this was standard practice. Isn't it?

Yes, then when they have your keys they know which boat to visit, like being in the pub with your boat name on your sweet shirt, 4 people eating chances are the boat is empty.

And he's not using google to find info but He will not tell us how he gets the info.

Tried it and mine was top of the google list, name address and boat

Is no-one worried about the missing marker pens...?

They are on the bridge of course

Worse than that, combination locks can generally be opened by pulling hard on the chain/wire whilst turning the wheels. When the right number is reached you can feel the wheel go slack. Do the same for each wheel and the lock comes open usually in a few minutes of fiddling.

VERY insecure.

MtB