What is the thickest grease you can get or....

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Thanks guys, the chart is helpful unfortunately all the grease I can find advertised doesn't specify just what NLGI number it is.

What I want is a fairly thick one, I was hoping not to admit what for but it's for the bottom bracket bearings on my old bike - on board - the modern stuff is too thin and gets washed out when I squirt oil in.

There used to be something called "Water pump grease" and it was almost solid. I do not know if you can still get it.

Probably Castrol water pump grease, a solid yellow colour, almost as dense as Echo margarine was.

Thanks guys, the chart is helpful unfortunately all the grease I can find advertised doesn't specify just what NLGI number it is.

What I want is a fairly thick one, I was hoping not to admit what for but it's for the bottom bracket bearings on my old bike - on board - the modern stuff is too thin and gets washed out when I squirt oil in.

Mind blowing stuff.......too much information me thinks

Thanks guys, the chart is helpful unfortunately all the grease I can find advertised doesn't specify just what

NLGI number it is.

If its greased why are you oiling it?

Thanks Mr Bizzard found some on ebay, ordered, now fingers crossed it'll stop the horrible grinding noise. I know needs new bearings and cones etc but.....

If its greased why are you oiling it?

'Cos it 's still graunching away - this is just an old bike to keep it going a bit longer. I know what should be done but there is enough to do on board without spending time on an old bike. ;0)

What do you want the grease for? Stern tube needs special waterproof grease. Tallow (sheep fat) is solid and sticks well so is used in engineering for tight fitting sleeves.

This is a daft claim to make on the part of the manufacturers of stern tube grease. ALL grease is waterproof.

(Unqualified claim so Richard can shoot it down :D )

MtB

Grease that's too thick will get squeezed out of the pressure spots in the bearings under load. Being stiff it won't find its way back there. Bearings that run at low temperature like bike bearings need low melting point grease that will creep back where its needed.

Of course, you can oil the stiff stuff to thin it, but then you end up washing it out of the bearing again if you over do it!

Sorry, but if your bearings are shot, they're shot.

Putting thicker grease in won't help

I know you are right and will get round to it eventually but more pressing things at the moment I just want to cut the noise down a bit. Thanks everyone and very informative

This is a daft claim to make on the part of the manufacturers of stern tube grease. ALL grease is waterproof.

(Unqualified claim so Richard can shoot it down biggrin.png )

MtB

I've never delved into what it is that makes stern tube grease 'special', but my stern tube uses a special oil, which is formulated to give decent lubrication even when emulsified with water.

That may well be the same for stern tube greases.

Some people use water pump grease, which is supposed to be highly 'water resistant', but it's generally too solid to easily be forced into stern tubes.

Tim

Funny how this forum works, I need some really heavy grease for my hydraulic puller. Now I know what to buy! Richard

After you did that magnificent repair on my 3 section prop shaft last year Richard, you recommended that I use really thick grease. I was going to buy some from the diesel seller at Wheaton Aston but they only had a tub about as big as 3 x1L paint cans...far too much for my needs but only about £9:50.

My local engineering supplies company advised "Water pump grease" I was able to buy a standard sized tube for about 4 pounds and that is what I now use.

Funny how this forum works, I need some really heavy grease for my hydraulic puller. Now I know what to buy!

Richard

Sykes Pickavant do a (grossly overpriced IMO) repair kit for their grease-filled pullers, I expect it would fit the Chinese clones as well. The grease in those really is almost solid, you have to warm it to get it out of the little plastic tub.

Tim

Sykes Pickavant do a (grossly overpriced IMO) repair kit for their grease-filled pullers, I expect it would fit the Chinese clones as well. The grease in those really is almost solid, you have to warm it to get it out of the little plastic tub.

Tim

That sounds like what is described as ' brick grease' . I haven't found a UK supplier yet

Richard

(Unqualified claim so Richard can shoot it down biggrin.png )

MtB

Ah yes, but, yes, but -

Whereas greases may be waterproof, those common greases using sodium stearate (lyophilic) will emulsify and cause corrosion in bearings.

Those based on calcium stearate (lyophobic) do not emulsify and so protect any bearings (ball, roller etc).

On reflection this may not make much difference to stern tube greasers are they're usually made of brass and only have plain bearings.

Feel free to shoot me down.....

• Greenie 1

Ah yes, but, yes, but -

Whereas greases may be waterproof, those common greases using sodium stearate (lyophilic) will emulsify and cause corrosion in bearings.

Those based on calcium stearate (lyophobic) do not emulsify and so protect any bearings (ball, roller etc).

On reflection this may not make much difference to stern tube greasers are they're usually made of brass and only have plain bearings.

Feel free to shoot me down.....

That sounds like the right answer. What we need is the technical description of the stern tube grease, which should be on the Morris Oils website

Richard