Napton lock wall collapse

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

The top winding hole is difficult, as not only on a bend, it also has the outflow from the back-pumps entering there. Max 50 ft.

The configuration of that winding hole at Marston Doles, and the buildings beside it, suggest that it was once a commercial wharf. Was it? If so, I guess that boats had to go down two locks to turn at the Engine House arm.

Longboats were rowing boats carried on Nelsonian warships. The Vikings used longSHIPS.

I know, I know! I couldn't help it.

Haven't I also read that 'longboat' as a name for narrowboats has a perfectly respectable history in areas where canals with different lock sizes met (Sowerby Bridge, perhaps) and goods were transhipped between boats of different sizes. When compared with short,wide boats a long,narrow boat could just as sensibly be referred to as a "long"boat as a "narrow"boat.

Longboats were rowing boats carried on Nelsonian warships. The Vikings used longSHIPS.

Thanks for correcting me (and, by implication, Jelunga) - and for using the splendid adjective "Nelsonian".

Be bit of a bugger for the hire companies if all their boats are above the flight.

A cynic replies, "and a bit easier for everyone else on the canal".

But seriously, that's very good point. Fortunately, point-to-point distances by road are much less than the canal's wrigglings might suggest, so dropping off and picking up happy hirers at, say, Cropredy's new marina should not present a major problem.

Edited by Athy

They could quite easily do the turnarounds in the engine hole pound, good parking and access.

That's ok as long as the new hirers want to go south on the Oxford. If they are planning on doing (say) the Warwickshire ring, they have a bit of a problem.

I know, I know! I couldn't help it.

Haven't I also read that 'longboat' as a name for narrowboats has a perfectly respectable history in areas where canals with different lock sizes met (Sowerby Bridge, perhaps) and goods were transhipped between boats of different sizes. When compared with short,wide boats a long,narrow boat could just as sensibly be referred to as a "long"boat as a "narrow"boat.

Pretty sure the native North American Indians had "longboats" as well as long houses

The local hire companies must be doing their nut! A substantial part of the customers of bases at Napton, Wigrams, Stockton, and even perhaps Warwick (ed. probably not though!) will have been planning to go to Banbury and back in a week, or Oxford and back in a fortnight.

Edited by Clifford

I was told once that we ,at 55' would be able to wind above Marsdon Doles lock.

Never had the guts to give it ago for a number of reasons.

Martyn

Absolutely no way.. We turned there a few weeks ago and it was really tight even at 45 foot. The outflow doesn't make much difference but the "hole" is an awkward shape. I don't think I'd try it with a 50 foot boat though it is, apparently, possible.

I need to move the boat from Banbury to Brauston on the weekend of 31st May. What odds do I get for the flight to be re-opened by then?

was planning on a Gayton to Banbury in August....but think that might be optimistic now!

was planning on a Gayton to Banbury in August....but think that might be optimistic now!

Wouldn't worry too much, latest update says "A contractor will be on site at Napton Lock 10, first thing in the morning on Wednesday 7 May 2014. The contractor will be commencing works to make the site safe so that the Napton Flight can be reopened."

Wouldn't worry too much, latest update says "A contractor will be on site at Napton Lock 10, first thing in the morning on Wednesday 7 May 2014. The contractor will be commencing works to make the site safe so that the Napton Flight can be reopened."

Can rest in peace now Ian......

as long as not the same contractors who "saved" the cilled boat in the Bath Flight earlier this year.......

I wonder if CRT have maintenance records for the last 200 years somewhere. Certain locks might have a history of failure and records of repairs carried out unsure.png

Very drôle!

Edited by alan_fincher

XhhUJ9p.jpg

tKGEdX5.jpg

As I said, just look how long that metal, not even plastic fencing has been there on the collapsed bywash pipe just feeding water into the soil. There are locks on Hatton that have water oozing out below the locks showing they are waterlogged as well, but they drain when the lock empties.

Just had notification that the Napton locks will reopen on Friday 9th May. The actual time of opening will be advised and staff will be on hand to assist boats through.

Hire boats returning to base first. I do hope they don't take that literally and stop other boats going up while they bring hire boats down.