Napton lock wall collapse

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Well that's a plan-scupperer! :(

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/940/napton-lock-8-to-atkins-lock-14-oxford-canal

From Date:
5th May 2014 at 15:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Description:

Due to structural failure of the approach wall at Lock 10, Napton Lock 8 to Atkins Lock 14 will be closed until further notice.

Our engineering team will assess the cause failure as soon as possible and further information will follow, as soon as it is available.

your cool junior, your up by Warwick on the GU and the Napton flight is on the Oxford heading south past Wigrams Turn

I was getting Napton confused with Calcutt. I haven't been through Napton locks, but I did moor there snd go to the pub in Napton so I think that's why I'm confusing myself.

Just found it! Goodness me.... that will keep me the wrong side of the locks for a while I expect!

As in "she is a wong-un - born on the wrong side of the locks?" :)

That's bad news. We are heading up the South Oxford. Should be at Napton by Thursday. Sounds like it might be better to turn around and head on to the Thames and route via the GU. I wonder how long CRT anticipate repairs? :(

So this would be the third lock up the flight?

Luckily there's a winding hole a quarter of a mile below the flight, and (as noted elsewhere) the Engine House Arm towards the top of the flight also provides a turning point. So, although some through traffic will be disrupted, few people should be stuck within the flight, though some arduous reversing may be necessary.

Think the winding hole below the flight is max 60 feet from memory,

The winding hole below the locks is full length. Above the top lock you are limited to 50ft or so, longer boats would need to go down 2 locks to the engine arm to turn.

Think the winding hole below the flight is max 60 feet from memory,

Possibly - we turned in it at Easter and it seemed quite roomy (Trojan is only 45 feet long so we had ample space). Someone on here with a really long boat will be able to tell us, I'm sure.

EDIT: and right on time, along came John. Thanks for the info, John.

Edited by Athy

Possibly - we turned in it at Easter and it seemed quite roomy (Trojan is only 45 feet long so we had ample space). Someone on here with a really long boat will be able to tell us, I'm sure.

EDIT: and right on time, along came John. Thanks for the info, John.

Any Vikings around?

Yes, you can turn a 70 footer below the lock, and also in the one by the main road (opposite the Bridge pub)

The top winding hole is difficult, as not only on a bend, it also has the outflow from the back-pumps entering there. Max 50 ft.