Google Street View on Canals

Robbo

Featured Posts

So far....
Bingley five-rise locks
Little Venice
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/first-google-street-view-images-of-canals-and-rivers-now-available

<pedant mode>

Terrible grammar for an official publication.

"Wendy Hawk, partnership manager at the Trust, said: “We’re delighted to be the first people in the UK to loan the Trekker from Google...."

You don't "loan [an item] from". You borrow [an item] FROM and you loan (or lend) [an item] TO.

You can, of course have [an item] "on loan from".

</pedant mode>

So far....
Bingley five-rise locks
Little Venice
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/first-google-street-view-images-of-canals-and-rivers-now-available

Theres more than your list! The Llangollen Canal is covered from LLangollen as far as Chirk.

Some bits have been on for a while, the section from Devizes to Semington was added a year ot two back.

Funny why they only went half was down the Bingley Five Rise!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

There are lots of Tweets coming out on this at the moment. There is much more on there than those sites listed though. This gives a list of some of them

https://www.google.com/maps/views/streetview/canals-rivers?gl=us

But that is not all of them as it does not list Foxton and it you look on Google Maps then Foxton Locks has streetview now, so there are probably more locations too.

Edited to add: Hatton Locks is on streeview as well.

Edited by john6767

I hope Google paid CRT handsomely for creating this content for them. (But I'm sure they didn't.)

Maybe should be the other way round as part of the remit from government when establishing the funding for the new charity was to attract more visitors.

I'm sure I heard that it didn't cost Google anything.

So how did they pay for it?? Have they stopped paying people that work for them??

You can include Nottingham as well, Castle Lock at least. Just happened to be there late last year waiting for other half (sound familiar?) when they were recording.

I note that Benji's face isn't blurred out.

Screenshot25.png

I think it's great - both for when planning a trip and later to relive it in the winter months.

I have to admit I spend too long on Google Earth but I also do long distance cycling and it's been a great planning tool for that.

Found my boat (it helps that it says what date the images were captured at the bottom of the screen). They've clearly tried to blur out boat names but the job is only partial. It caught and blanked the name on the bow, but the one on the side it didn't get (funny writing probably made it quite difficult) but did manage to blank out random bits of decorative paintwork. A decent effort overall.

I am concerned that no effort seems to have been made to blur out windows (although in my case you can't see anything much).

Found my boat (it helps that it says what date the images were captured at the bottom of the screen). They've clearly tried to blur out boat names but the job is only partial. It caught and blanked the name on the bow, but the one on the side it didn't get (funny writing probably made it quite difficult) but did manage to blank out random bits of decorative paintwork. A decent effort overall.

I am concerned that no effort seems to have been made to blur out windows (although in my case you can't see anything much).

They only blur out faces and license plates automatically (it probably thought the name on the bow was a license plate). You can get them to blur out the entire boat if you wish by locating the image in streetview, clicking 'report a problem' and then filling out the form.

Edited by Delta9

<pedant mode>

Terrible grammar for an official publication.

"Wendy Hawk, partnership manager at the Trust, said: “We’re delighted to be the first people in the UK to loan the Trekker from Google...."

You don't "loan [an item] from". You borrow [an item] FROM and you loan (or lend) [an item] TO.

You can, of course have [an item] "on loan from".

</pedant mode>

Or she might have meant 'rent' or 'lease'. I doubt Google have ever lent anything, ever, to anyone.

Edited a day later to add: not counting Google Earth, Google Maps and other free applications. But apart from that - What have Googlans ever done for us?

Edited by twbm