Three end unlimited data whilst tethering.....

Featured Posts

Well I just got my new The One plan SIM only, from 3, including unlimited data with tethering. Dunno if it works yet cuz I haven't tried to tether yet, & I haven't used more than 2gb, In fact this is only my 2nd post with it on the interwebz

Ah ha, so it's you eating up my bandwidth wink.png

You can still do it but you have to say you want unlimited tethering as its now tje one plan with tethering. I use my phone as internet rather than broadband. Its 3-4£ extra on top line phones.

I have had un unlimited tethering contract with 3 for some time now, having had a 15g/month dongle for years. That worked everywhere on the waterways between London and Lincoln [except for Braunston], and when it works, it is excellent. I have, however, gone old and grey hanging around at times for pages to download, and worst is the intermittent on again/off again service - even when signal strength is at maximum. I'm not convinced that anything else is better though.

I won't be doing as originally intended [cutting off all landlines] due to the unreliability, but I will be keeping the phone and just cancelling the redundant dongle.

- so to get it you have to have a SIM on a SIM only plan, but you cannot get it if you want it with a phone.......

It seems a strange marketing strategy to me as it's going to discourage people from getting a new phone with Three rather they will just keep their phone and get a SIM only plan on the One Plan (with tethering)

Good update cheers.

It seems a strange marketing strategy to me as it's going to discourage people from getting a new phone with Three rather they will just keep their phone and get a SIM only plan on the One Plan (with tethering)

The phones are so heavily subsidised that it does make sense.

My phone was around £200 sim free but I got it free with my O2 contract and kept it when I switched to Three.

Of course it is now outdated and I'm going to have to buy a new one retail, if I want to keep my tethering.

carlt, on 22 Mar 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:carlt, on 22 Mar 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

The phones are so heavily subsidised that it does make sense.

My phone was around £200 sim free but I got it free with my O2 contract and kept it when I switched to Three.

Of course it is now outdated and I'm going to have to buy a new one retail, if I want to keep my tethering.

Ah yes of course.....

I have a new phone which I wont want to change any time soon so this could still work for me, I'm due in September so I will be looking to see if this is still running then. I am not a heavy data user (I don't stream much video if any) but Jan does so it could work by her tethering her phone to mine and using my allowance rather than hers which costs more (She is on Orange and still on contract for at least another 18 months from memory)

ed. - it is worth noting that they have hiked the price of the SIM only One Plan recently to £20 per month from around the £16 it was a few weeks ago so probably in anticipation of this change.

Edited by The Dog House

These days 2 gigs is nothing. An HD film can eat that and more in one sitting. What some people don't realize is that, just opening a webpage consumes data and it soon tots up, and, if you go over your monthly data quota they hammer you.

I use TMobile. I've been with them since 2009. It might not be the fasted connection but, if you go over they don't charge for extra data. You can purchase extra or use the 250mb free booster and when that runs out you just keep clicking the Free Booster until your new monthly quota starts again.

It also has an installable data counter but, to be honest it isn't that accurate.

I believe TMobile is the only company that doesn't charge if you go over the monthly data.

Just be sure that when you renew/upgrade your contract that the fair use policy is still included.

Just had big problems over a huge bill. It seems my Fair use was not included in my new contract. It is now after my complaining about change of contract without notification.

So beware accidents happen and you might go over They charge £3 per day on top of your monthly contract cost.

Edited by valrene9600

I have a Three 321 PAYG sim, hardly use it due to poor signal but very cheap and handy as a backup, got £8 of everlasting credit. Wife's Ovivo went up the chute last week so after Giffgaff have taken £10 and failed to activate her sim we went in to our local 3 shop today to get her a 321 sim. First off the assistant asked if I had an account with them, yes I said, contract mobile BB sim, £8 per month for 5gb. "Oh you are entitled to a free device upgrade" what a MiFi? I said, she said "you will get 1gb for £18 pm"

???. Seems a free upgrade would cancel my present contract, must have thought I was stupid. Ok I said we'll have a 321 PAYG sim, " That will be £1 for the sim plus £10 of credit" okay fair enough, is it possible to buy a smaller amount of credit, "yes you can pay £6pm for 100mins" ???. Turns out that 321 costs £10pm for 250mins (+ texts and some data) or £6 odd for a lower amount. When I said I had a 321 sim and the credit was everlasting she said I must be mistaken, when I assured her it was so she just looked perplexed and said they had never done that deal. Pointless trying to argue. She gave me the number of their call centre for any further questions, (no way am I going to ring them)

I refused the sim and came away with glazed eyes still not understanding what 321 means, thinking about it maybe those prices kick in after the monthly allowance runs out? No info of any use available on their website, I suspect they have changed the T&Cs regarding 321, too tired to chase it down.

Service providers are a slippery bunch of con artists (IMO)

Edited by nb Innisfree

So if I want unlimited data for MiFi use, is the answer to get their One Plan sim only at £23pm on a 1 month contract (£20pm for a 12 month contract) e.g. http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=22810100

And then go for an unlocked huawei dongle like http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261249576780?

So if I want unlimited data for MiFi use, is the answer to get their One Plan sim only at £23pm on a 1 month contract (£20pm for a 12 month contract) e.g. http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=22810100

And then go for an unlocked huawei dongle like http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261249576780?

SIM wise that is exactly what Ssscrudy looks like he has done. However he is using it in a phone not a dongle.

Ed correction john is correct about it not working in a dongle. It will indeed only work in a phone. Three will detect a SIM for phone use is being used in a dongle (mi fi)

Edited by The Dog House

The One Plan is a phone contract, so the SIM should not work in a dongle should it?

I hope someone will contradict me, but as I understand it, the One plan sim can only be used in a phone, not a mi-fi. And, yes, they can tell what device you are using. I don't believe anyone does an unlimited data sim for a mi-fi.

The One Plan is a phone contract, so the SIM should not work in a dongle should it?

No you are correct.

Though some have posted on here on how to circumvent their ways of detecting it.

I hope someone will contradict me, but as I understand it, the One plan sim can only be used in a phone, not a mi-fi. And, yes, they can tell what device you are using. I don't believe anyone does an unlimited data sim for a mi-fi.

In busy times when things are busy data speeds will be throttled back, but data only sims in dongles and mifis will be given priority over phone sims. That's why data only sims are limited. That's how I see it anyway.

SIM wise that is exactly what Ssscrudy looks like he has done. However he is using it in a phone not a dongle.

Ed correction john is correct about it not working in a dongle. It will indeed only work in a phone. Three will detect a SIM for phone use is being used in a dongle (mi fi)

Thanks all, thought it seemed too easy :(

I refused the sim and came away with glazed eyes still not understanding what 321 means, thinking about it maybe those prices kick in after the monthly allowance runs out? No info of any use available on their website, I suspect they have changed the T&Cs regarding 321, too tired to chase it down.

Sounds like the sales staff were trying to push you towards a contract :(

Can get a sim delivered free to your door here:

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

Details of 321 here:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

I was also with Ovivo, will be running to 321 with my tail between my legs... mellow.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Can get one delivered free to your door here:

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/free-sim-cards.html

Details of 321 here:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

I was also with Ovivo, will be running to 321 with my tail between my legs... mellow.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

The £1 is irrelevant really, just peanuts. What bothers me is the fact that when I started with 321 one several months ago I started off with £10 of credit and that lasted for as long as I didn't use it, everlasting if I so desired. In fact that is the state of my 321 PAYG is now and since I got it, I have probaly used about a couple of quidsworth in the last 3 months or more and my credit stands at £7.95. What Three are telling me is that can't be so,despite the fact that it is! A new 321 sim has tobe started with £10 and that will give me 250mins, so many texts and so much data (I can only recall the first figure) which will last one month when I will be back to zero. No mention of where the 321 bit comes in.

I'm calling in again tomorrow and wring the facts out of them, trouble is the knowldge of Three's staff is limited, they just shrug their shoulders when you try to get the facts.

Sounds like the sales staff were trying to push you towards a contract :(

~

It is so dissappointing that the staff are prepared to lie to you to get you to buy what they want to sell. I'd guess there is no commission in a 321 PAYG SIM?

Like most areas of life, it gets harder to think that there is anyone left that you can trust :(

The £1 is irrelevant really, just peanuts. What bothers me is the fact that when I started with 321 one several months ago I started off with £10 of credit and that lasted for as long as I didn't use it, everlasting if I so desired. In fact that is the state of my 321 PAYG is now and since I got it, I have probaly used about a couple of quidsworth in the last 3 months or more and my credit stands at £7.95. What Three are telling me is that can't be so,despite the fact that it is! A new 321 sim has tobe started with £10 and that will give me 250mins, so many texts and so much data (I can only recall the first figure) which will last one month when I will be back to zero. No mention of where the 321 bit comes in.

I'm calling in again tomorrow and wring the facts out of them, trouble is the knowldge of Three's staff is limited, they just shrug their shoulders when you try to get the facts.

I suspect their knowledge might be fine :)

Why not just buy a SIM online? It seems quite clear that you are free to buy a bundle, or not, and that any prepaid credit will last until you use it. The staff are just trying to con you/upsell you into something that makes them some money.

I think you can buy the SIMs in a variety of local stores aswell, then you can register and buy whatever credit or bundle that you want.

I agree with you. Not surprised by any of this, wondered how long the unlimited would last after 4g came available - they seem to have so many customers, I reckon you're right, it does affect the bandwidth. Where we moor, our 3 sim gave us by far the worst and slowest service out of all the sims we have, of an evening (when all the boaters come back from work) it would judder to a halt. I pay through the nose for EE 4g but we use it for work, we need fast and reliable. We get through about 30gb a month. Aint cheap!

We use EE ... just upgraded to 20Gb a month ..... woof!

Here's their T&Cs

"With new game changing rates, you can talk, text and browse your heart out. We believe Pay As You Go should offer simplicity and value. Thats why were offering mind-blowing rates of 3p a minute, 2p a text and 1p a MB of data. Once you've topped up, the rates don't change after 30 days - they last until you've used your last penny. And the next time you top-up, they'll still apply. To help you stay in control, we'll send you a text alert when you are running low."

I read that as no expiry date for any credit, Three tell me different, they tell me that my present 321 sim should have an expiry date.

Here's their T&Cs

"With new game changing rates, you can talk, text and browse your heart out. We believe Pay As You Go should offer simplicity and value. Thats why were offering mind-blowing rates of 3p a minute, 2p a text and 1p a MB of data. Once you've topped up, the rates don't change after 30 days - they last until you've used your last penny. And the next time you top-up, they'll still apply. To help you stay in control, we'll send you a text alert when you are running low."

I read that as no expiry date for any credit, Three tell me different, they tell me that my present 321 sim should have an expiry date.

Just ordered a free 321 sim. No requirement to buy any credit, just top up as I thought, add on is optional so it seems that the staff at Three's store in Salisbury are either totally ignorant of their products or they were trying to pull a fast one and pushing me into a contract as suggested by another poster. This kind of thing really pisses me off, it cost me a couple of quid in petrol today to get to Salisbury. When our sim is up and running I will go in there and challenge them. My advice to anyone is never trust the word of any Three staff.

Here's their T&Cs

1p per MByte would blow the bank account as well as the mind.

...........Dave

. My advice to anyone is never trust the word of any Three staff.

That is a bit of a generalisation - the Three store staff in Newark were excellent and talked us out of buying an expensive mifi / wifi set up. we explained what we wanted (for the boat) and they said buy a Sim only (and tether) on the one-plan

That is a bit of a generalisation - the Three store staff in Newark were excellent and talked us out of buying an expensive mifi / wifi set up. we explained what we wanted (for the boat) and they said buy a Sim only (and tether) on the one-plan

Yes I suppose you are right, I was a bit angry. I have had some questionable service from a couple of 3 shops but also some good service elsewhere, nevertheless don't take their word at face value, go armed with knowledge and ask the right questions.