Are People Who Live On Boats Second Class Citizens?

Andy Kayll

Featured Posts

As a "boat dweller" do I gain anythig from the census? I am in the last flush of youth and after 3 heart attacks only look a birthday ahead

I dont give a f&&& about advising the government about what or where I am

Am I happy on my boat YES, do I pay my way YES, do I owe NO

So why not stop arguing the toss on each and evey post and just enjoy life and what we have , It does not last forever

Ray

Edited by raymondh

So why not stop arguing the toss on each and evey post and just enjoy life and what we have

Why not stop worrying about how other people enjoy a discussion (It is a discussion forum you know) and get on with enjoying your own, vastly superior life?

• Greenie 1

So why not stop arguing the toss on each and evey post and just enjoy life and what we have , It does not last forever

Ray

If you interpret a good old discussion and a bit of debate as 'arguing the toss' perhaps an internet discussion forum is not the place for you?

It's what happens here, why do some people not understand this?

If you interpret a good old discussion and a bit of debate as 'arguing the toss' perhaps an internet discussion forum is not the place for you?

It's what happens here, why do some people not understand this?

Indeed.

It's what it says on the tin. Mix it or lurk. :)

As a "boat dweller" do I gain anythig from the census? I am in the last flush of youth and after 3 heart attacks only look a birthday ahead

I dont give a f&&& about advising the government about what or where I am

Am I happy on my boat YES, do I pay my way YES, do I owe NO

Ray

The census is not about you, or any individual, It is a mechanism which Governments across the world use to gather information about their citizens which enables them to plan for future public development. In that sense your contribution is a important as anyone elses.

Of course if you do not give a f&&& about contributing to the data base of information that is fine, but don't complain when a service you require in twenty years time is not available because all the people who could have contributed information did not want the Government to know about them!

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks you just made my point

Ray

Which is the usual response.....seen it so many times, in fact too many for it to be any where near original, or remotely clever.

How sad for you.

I'm in no way unsociable. I think it's more down to the fact that perhaps you have lived in your home in the same area for a length of time, whereas in South Africa, neighbours are seperated by 6ft walls, and having arrived in the UK, we only rented for 6mths in one place, a year in another, and most neighbours only saw each other while briefly getting into their car. Living in a boat, close to other boaters, makes it easier to know those close to you.

I apologise that my experiences don't quite meet your own experiences.

In reply to the ops post, yes most house dwelling people think people who live on boats are second class citizens, it really is as simple as that, no matter how you beat around the bush, or go off topic thats just the way it is.

Most people around kent will have based their opinions on any drives/walks past their local marina, and quite frankly most are rough old dumps!

In reply to the ops post, yes most house dwelling people think people who live on boats are second class citizens, it really is as simple as that, no matter how you beat around the bush, or go off topic thats just the way it is.

Most people around kent will have based their opinions on any drives/walks past their local marina, and quite frankly most are rough old dumps!

What utter rubbish!

Just where is your evidence to support that assertion?

What a load of utter tosh!

It may be true about SOME snobs in Kent, but I suspect that most people actually couldn't give toss and have no views.

What utter rubbish!

Maybe not as second class citizens, but a lot of people are (understandably) very poorly informed about boat living. Colleagues were astounded when I pointed out that, yes, I had hot and cold running water, a decent shower, domestic sized oven, and plenty of space. We've also heard plenty of passers by making comments like "look, a proper kitchen!" And similar which implies that they were surprised to see it.

That, and the usual "but doesn't it get cold in winter?" Or "isn't it really damp?" That the very vast majority of people ask about show that people have a really skewed view of what it's like to live afloat ("how do you manage in such a small space? I couldn't!" Etc.).

They might not necessarily think of boat dwellers as being second class citizens, but many probably see it as a very odd, basic, primitive way of life- which it doesn't have to be- and may make judgements about people who choose it as a result.

Maybe not as second class citizens, but a lot of people are (understandably) very poorly informed about boat living. Colleagues were astounded when I pointed out that, yes, I had hot and cold running water, a decent shower, domestic sized oven, and plenty of space. We've also heard plenty of passers by making comments like "look, a proper kitchen!" And similar which implies that they were surprised to see it.

That, and the usual "but doesn't it get cold in winter?" Or "isn't it really damp?" That the very vast majority of people ask about show that people have a really skewed view of what it's like to live afloat ("how do you manage in such a small space? I couldn't!" Etc.).

They might not necessarily think of boat dwellers as being second class citizens, but many probably see it as a very odd, basic, primitive way of life- which it doesn't have to be- and may make judgements about people who choose it as a result.

Of course they are. I would wager some would be very envious and with those that do it places you in first class....

I'm in no way unsociable. I think it's more down to the fact that perhaps you have lived in your home in the same area for a length of time, whereas in South Africa, neighbours are seperated by 6ft walls, and having arrived in the UK, we only rented for 6mths in one place, a year in another, and most neighbours only saw each other while briefly getting into their car. Living in a boat, close to other boaters, makes it easier to know those close to you.

I can understand your point of view but it is stretching things to think this is how it is like all over by a limited sample or experience.

I partly grew up in Swindon I knew all our neighbours and because my father was an engineer in the Railway works I had a wide extended family from the very social group of work colleagues. I then lived on a farm for a while and on the edge of Swindon in a very close community. When married we have always lived in small communities and my experience has been like Carlt's. I know all our neighbours and we do things for each other when needed. I am about to move hopefully for the last time in to an even smaller community in Wales and I expect it to be no different and probably closer still.

It is good that you have found that sense of community living on a boat too.

To answer the OP In the sense of 2nd class being inferior in some way then this can only be if ones mindset allows it. It is only an attitude and can be risen above of those whose assumptions and bigotry makes such judgements. Don't be a victim, know your own value which is equal to anyone else.

• Greenie 1

My belief is that whilst not necessarily viewing 'alternative' living as "second class" there will always be misunderstandings and questions about the people taking up any lifestyle that is 'outside of the norm*' (4 walls, a job and 2.4 children)

I think this applies to 'travellers', 'mobile home dwellers' just as much as boat owners.

The perceptions may well be that boat-dwellers are there through no choice of their own and, like 'travellers', are looking for a cheap way to live. They do not understand that many boat owners (and travellers) choose this way of life.

I can understand when non-boaters see continuous moorers who have spread out over the towpath, have 'rubbish', scrap, bits of wood, bags of coal and washing out that it will look like a Gypsy encampment and boaters will get tarred with the same brush.

We portray an image by our actions - if (or when) 'we' lived in a house did we allow the paint to peel off, never cut the grass, have scrap bicycles in the garden etc etc.

We do not need to have 'shiney, newly painted. boats' but we can manage our environment to portray a caring, sharing attitude.

* Normal = the consensus of the majority,

According to an established norm, rule, or principle; conformed to a type, standard, or regular form

Enough of the late night waffle.

• Greenie 1

What utter rubbish!

I guess you need to live on a boat to make that statement. This year I took a towpath winter mooring for the first time. Myself and Stan found a nice spot close to a village and a few cottages. One afternoon I got a knock on the boat and a very nice lady asked if I would mind moving my boat as they had just put their cottage up for sale and felt that having boats so close might put buyers off.

Edited by cotswoldsman

What utter rubbish!

I kind of expected that response, ie because I say what you dont want to hear it must be rubbish!

I used Kent as an example as thats where I currently live in a house and where I moor my boat, but Im sure could apply to any part of the country.

What you have to understand is like any minority you are always going to be seen as strange/weird/2nd class, bit like ethnic minorities/bikers/travellers etc

If you cant except that, thats fine by me, but Im only saying what most people think, they may not say it, but trust me they are thinking it!

Thanks you just made my point

Ray

Ah your point being (so cleverly disguised) that discussion on a discussion forum is what keeps it alive?

A good point barely made.

I accept your experience but dispute the generalisation that you arrived at.

Just because I live in a friendly, vibrant community doesn't mean that I think all is well with the world.

I was just pointing out that Society is not dead in all bricks and mortar communities and I also know of people who have left marinas because of the lack of community spirit due to gossiping and back-biting so it isn't always rosy in boat communities either.

I kind of expected that response, ie because I say what you dont want to hear it must be rubbish!

I used Kent as an example as thats where I currently live in a house and where I moor my boat, but Im sure could apply to any part of the country.

What you have to understand is like any minority you are always going to be seen as strange/weird/2nd class, bit like ethnic minorities/bikers/travellers etc

If you cant except that, thats fine by me, but Im only saying what most people think, they may not say it, but trust me they are thinking it!

But if what we hear when we talk to a large amount of the non boat owning public simply doesn't agree with what you are saying, then perhaps what you are saying is rubbish none the less!

I happen to think what you are saying is rubbish, but that is based on conversations with large numbers of people over the years, not simply a desire to disagree with you!

In reply to the ops post, yes most house dwelling people think people who live on boats are second class citizens,

Based on your straw poll or mine.

When I tell people I used to live on a boat I have, without exception received responses ranging from neutral to gushingly positive but never negative.

The most common being "How lovely, why on earth did you move into a house?"

When I lived on a boat the response from house dwellers was equally positive from and I had many visits from people specifically wanting to see our boat and mooring.

This contrasts sharply with some of the nasty, derogatory comments received because my boat didn't reach the expectations of some other boaters.

I have given talks to my sons' schools about my life afloat but none, as yet, about life in a Victorian townhouse.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

I speak as somebody who lives in house not a boat.

I didn't say your quite sweeping statement was rubbish because of the reasons you suggest, I say it's rubbish because without any real evidence you can't say 'what most people actually think'.

You can perhaps claim you believe that lots of people think it (at a stretch) but unless you researched the good people of Kent properly how can you really 'know' that more than fifty percent of them think people who live on boats are 'second class citizens?

So far your theory is just supposition.