Sunk boat K&A

J R

Featured Posts

Can anyone think of a waterways-related website that would rip off a picture and publish it on their own site?

Of course, they may have permission from the copyright holder.

But then there would have been no need to clip the picture to remove the "CANAL AND RIVER TRUST" text, would there?

Now you see it:

_73616174_73614110.jpg

Now you don't:

ka%20abbey%20view%20lc.jpg

Can anyone think of a waterways-related website that would rip off a picture and publish it on their own site?

Of course, they may have permission from the copyright holder.

But then there would have been no need to clip the picture to remove the "CANAL AND RIVER TRUST" text, would there?

Now you see it:

_73616174_73614110.jpg

Now you don't:

ka%20abbey%20view%20lc.jpg

In the article it does give credit for the photo to C&RT

I guess it depends how far the boat goes underwater, for example if it was just the front, and for a short time, then a couple of days with a dehumidifier, a good wipe down, and a new carpet (probably carpet tiles) would get it out again, though I dare say the floor would probably rot over time. The one I saw had been underwater sufficiently, for all the interior panels to have soaked up enough water to require being ripped out and disposed

This one wasn't in a lock, it sunk in the middle of the channel after apparently being overloaded. Sitting nice and flat on the bottom, just a foot or so poking out the water.

Saw the same boat almost sink again with 20 tits not only overloading this 30ft boat but also rocking it from side to side. They did stop after I informed them that sinking was a possibility, they seemed to have not previously considered it.

In the article it does give credit for the photo to C&RT

I can see that now. I wonder why I didn't see it when I first read the article?

Obviously someone went to all the trouble of cropping the reference to CRT off the photo, only to credit them in the text.

Makes perfect sense.

Obviously someone went to all the trouble of cropping the reference to CRT off the photo, only to credit them in the text.

Makes perfect sense.

Or it was swiftly edited in the article, after the doctoring of the picture was revealed on this thread. Whatever, its the actions of a weasel, all publications should give proper credit, and source properly, the images they use alongside their stories.

Or it was swiftly edited in the article, after the doctoring of the picture was revealed on this thread. Whatever, its the actions of a weasel, all publications should give proper credit, and source properly, the images they use alongside their stories.

The BBC are hosting both versions of the image. here is the cropped version... http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73616000/jpg/_73616179_73614110.jpg

I suspect narrowboatworld chose the cropped image to use as it fitted on their page better

Edited by Delta9

Makes perfect sense.

The picture was cropped top and bottom.

Hire companies need to give more tuition to hirers in boat handling, speed on the canals and how to navigate safely through locks

or hirers need to prove competence in handling

Its lucky no one was hurt or life lost

I can confirm that ABC at Hilperton (were the boat was based) give a very good briefing on the workings of locks and in particular the dangers of Cills. When we hired from there the Marina Manager gave us a very good instruction, in particular how to avoid that happening. They had some similar pictures of one of their larger craft having the same issues.

Was surprised it was "Weaver", at only 47ft LOA she has plenty of room to avoid the cill as long as you have good communication between your crew on the lockside and also the helmsman.....

" Experts unsure on how to rescue the boat"

In the Bath Chronical.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Experts-unsure-remove-capsized-boat-Kennet-Avon/story-20828450-detail/story.html

Would have thought a combination of 1 crane to support the stern, a couple of large floatation bags to lift the bow and a salvage pump. ............?

Well shucks, it seems like if you got a few carpenters and a small lorry of wood down there you could have a cradle built under the stern in a matter of hours. The cradle could be removed after the boat is righted and floated away.

With the bow... Can that lock be drained all the way? Regardless, I suppose first you need to get as much water out of the forward section as you can using flotation bags and raise the bow as much as you can using flotation bags and pumps. To lift the bow, place a steel beam, or two, across the lock then attach a block and tackle to the beams. The boat doesn't weight that much, so we're talking portable chain hoist here, nothing real elaborate. You could even use two chain hoists, one on each side, near the wall, and rig a lifting sling to the hoists - You could actually do this bow and stern and avoid building the cradle in the rear, if you wanted.

Instead of agonizing over not having cranes, they need to rig a couple. The boat doesn't need to be lifted from the lock, it can be made to float away. It simply needs to be lifted a few feet, and it really isn't that heavy. The water in the boat is quite heavy, but you don't need to lift it all once, most of the water can be shed as the boat is lifted.

Perhaps if they chased away the engineers and got a few workers who know how to move heavy stuff, this problem would be solved by now. How long have they been staring at this scratching their heads now? Five or six days, isn't it?

Well shucks, it seems like if you got a few carpenters and a small lorry of wood down there you could have a cradle built under the stern in a matter of hours. The cradle could be removed after the boat is righted and floated away.

With the bow... Can that lock be drained all the way? Regardless, I suppose first you need to get as much water out of the forward section as you can using flotation bags and raise the bow as much as you can using flotation bags and pumps. To lift the bow, place a steel beam, or two, across the lock then attach a block and tackle to the beams. The boat doesn't weight that much, so we're talking portable chain hoist here, nothing real elaborate. You could even use two chain hoists, one on each side, near the wall, and rig a lifting sling to the hoists - You could actually do this bow and stern and avoid building the cradle in the rear, if you wanted.

Instead of agonizing over not having cranes, they need to rig a couple. The boat doesn't need to be lifted from the lock, it can be made to float away. It simply needs to be lifted a few feet, and it really isn't that heavy. The water in the boat is quite heavy, but you don't need to lift it all once, most of the water can be shed as the boat is lifted.

Perhaps if they chased away the engineers and got a few workers who know how to move heavy stuff, this problem would be solved by now. How long have they been staring at this scratching their heads now? Five or six days, isn't it?

A Frame with ropes and block/tackle, pumps and windlass...what more can a man need.

A Frame with ropes and block/tackle, pumps and windlass...what more can a man need.

All good plans, yes the boat weighs about 11mt but nothing a good suitable A-frame, chain blocks with floatation bags could solve....

Must admit that I hadn't thought about chain blocks until Paul G suggested it, and the ships I serve on are stuffed full of them in the engine room workshops! Ring that suggestion in Paul and claim the credit!! :-)

CaRT do appear to be making heavy weather of this and I do suspect too many inexperienced office types and not enough real men.

But to be fair, lifting is now a highly regulated business and this boat has become a very public affair.

I am sure many of us have lifted big things with a block and tackle and a convenient length or two of steel box section, but this is in the privacy of our workshop/garage, not in a public place with a the possibility of a film crew turning up.

Have you got any idea how many useful things we had to hide everytime the insurance man came to check the lifting gear!!!!

I am tempted to post a pic or two of my engine swap but I would probably end up in prison!

And if I was a carpenter I would certainly not want to go down into the lock next to a possibly unstable boat!

........Dave

At least it wasn't the dreaded middle watch!!

Been interesting to see if any pics are around of the recovery. Am at Hilperton Yard on Saturday , but not sure if they will want to give away all the info...

At least it wasn't the dreaded middle watch!!

Been interesting to see if any pics are around of the recovery. Am at Hilperton Yard on Saturday , but not sure if they will want to give away all the info...

Well, I hope someone, somewhere has photos of the recovery, now that they have our interest..

There is a video up on facebook. They made a absolute mess of recovery and totally sunk it in the lock.

Quite amusing really.

Although they did manage to raise it and pimp it out after they had destroyed it.

I've requested they post it on here.

Worrying to thingk these idiots run our waterways