Sunk boat K&A

J R

Featured Posts

Why didn't they open the bottom paddles PDQ?

Because I think the comments Paul C makes in post 72 are probably pretty close to the mark. The boat has probably been written off by the insurance co and the salvage company's brief is a plain 'get it out of the lock'.

No additional instructions to minimise damage to the boat, the priority was to get it out however they saw fit. So being crane bods not boat people, they just did as instructed without regard for saving the boat, because as far as they were concerned they'd been told the boat was scrap already.

Just my conjecture.

MtB

Why didn't they call Will Trickett?

Because I think the comments Paul C makes in post 72 are probably pretty close to the mark. The boat has probably been written off by the insurance co and the salvage company's brief is a plain 'get it out of the lock'.

No additional instructions to minimise damage to the boat, the priority was to get it out however they saw fit. So being crane bods not boat people, they just did as instructed without regard for saving the boat, because as far as they were concerned they'd been told the boat was scrap already.

Just my conjecture.

MtB

I can't watch the video (phone won't play it), but I have seen a 'recovery company' try to drag an articulated lorry out of a ditch sideways, using two recovery trucks... If you wernt the owner of the artic, it was quite comical. Does of us who knew about these things, did ask why they didn't simply pull it back, the way it went in, but were dismissed. I mean, what did us stupid drivers know...

(Yep , the by then badly damaged truck was eventually pulled out backwards, the way it went in.... :-). )

It is quite quaint how we all care so much for the boat as if it has a heart and soul

If this was a 40k car in a shunt on the M25 would anyone give a monkeys?

It's the unnecessary waste. The £40k car is already wrecked. The boat was not wrecked until the recovery firm got involved, not giving a monkeys...

Possibly is

But why did the fireman open the gates?

And why didn't they keep pulling the bow up, surely the boat could have been saved from going under, or had that already happened

Col

Edited spelling

Edited by bigcol

bigcol, on 22 Mar 2014 - 1:43 PM, said:bigcol, on 22 Mar 2014 - 1:43 PM, said:bigcol, on 22 Mar 2014 - 1:43 PM, said:

Possibly is

But why did the fireman open the lock gates??

I am not sure it's a fireman is it? It will be somebody from the company appointed by the hire/co or the hire co's insurance company or possibly CRT.

Presumably they opened the paddles (not the gates did he?) in an attempt to re-float it by bringing up the front to the same level as the stern (which clearly failed). The water does seem to be coming in pretty fast suggesting they opened the paddles far too quickly. I'm assuming of course they are not automated sluices on that lock over which you have no control as to fast they rise.

Edited by The Dog House

This may seem like a silly question , but why are cills not sloped? that way boats would not be able to 'sit' on them and get stuck. it may be that I am missing something really important so forgive me if I have had a blondy sort of moment

deckhand, on 22 Mar 2014 - 2:03 PM, said:

This may seem like a silly question , but why are cills not sloped? that way boats would not be able to 'sit' on them and get stuck. it may be that I am missing something really important so forgive me if I have had a blondy sort of moment

I don't think that is a daft or 'blond' question at all - I recall somebody on here once asking something very similar.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24795&hl=cill

Sloping the cills would be possible in some locks where the cill is already long. It would not be possible to extend a short cill into the lock to add the slope as longer boats would no longer fit.

The other (better) option is to have almost no cill which would be quite feasible with modern building methods.

The question is how much should we change a historic, and often listed, structure to prevent an accident that does not happen that often?.

Worse, if this then tempts inexperienced boaters to stay at the back of the lock and ride down the gate then there will be new potential accidents with fenders getting caught on protruding bolts etc and these accidents might be more serious.

............Dave

Forgot to add, we have already had the fiasco of adding inappropriate wooden bollards to lock sides to prevent this accident, they have not worked and just introduced a load of ugly trip hazards!

........Dave

Very easy to laugh and joke when it's not your own boat that's sinking . Bloody Sods! That could have been someones home.

What are you supposed to do when a so called professional salvage team is called in to recover your boat? They would resumably be employed by your insurance company who would deal with the aftermath, if appropriately insured of course.

I don't suppose you get much say in how it is recovered.

Very easy to laugh and joke when it's not your own boat that's sinking . Bloody Sods! That could have been someones home.

That annoyed me aswell if I'm honest, the guys who ballsed up will probably felt bad enough without those idiots laughing and actually clapping when the boat sank.

It was the same as the video of the boat that hit the bridge on the Thames that was put up on here the other day. OK that guy could probably afford to pay for his error but stood on the sidelines laughing at him while he struggled with flow wasn't on.

I don't suppose you get much say in how it is recovered.

Absolument! I once was marshalling on a stage rally many years ago and the recovery team came to pull a car out of the ditch it had veered off into. They attached the chains to the front anti-roll bar instead of the cross-member in spite of my and the driver's protestations and ripped it clean out of the car, one of them narrowly avoiding being hit on the head by a large piece of spring steel. How were the mighty so nearly felled!

They were of course, experts.

If I were there I would have been laughing along,not because a boat was lost, but at the ineptitude of the overpaid, so called expert salvors.

If I were there I would have been laughing along,not because a boat was lost, but at the ineptitude of the overpaid, so called expert salvors.

How much were they paid?

That looks ridiculous all they had to do is put a strap though two windows at the front sides and up to a chain winch off a steel girder and lift the boat as they let the water in very very slow Plus pump the water out the boat at the same time

Graham

Some are. This is Tuel Lane lock on the Rochdale Canal

8086245955_c10b9e7613_z.jpg