Boater With Home Mooring Charged With Not Making "Due Progress"

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I moor in Calcutt marina and I don't get a mooring permit. No Idea why not. Never occurred to me to ask for one. Who would I ask anyway?

Most marinas pay a fee to CRT under their Network Access Agreement based on the total available mooring space in the marina so CRT are not 'missing a trick' at all.

MtB

Same here I have a contract with the boatyard where I moor and I pay them a mooring fee but I don't have a mooring permit.

Pete

All true, but an operator could (but I'm certainly not suggesting my operator is!) be letting more space than they actually have, taking a gamble that not everyone will show up at the same time

Since most marina contracts include a clause that the operator can relet your mooring to someone else while you are out (without you seeing any of the mooring fee) then it is quite possible for a marina to have more paid up moorers than it has moorings at a particular point in time.

Since most marina contracts include a clause that the operator can relet your mooring to someone else while you are out (without you seeing any of the mooring fee) then it is quite possible for a marina to have more paid up moorers than it has moorings at a particular point in time.

In order for your mooring to be re-let, it would probably be necessary for the marina to know when you are coming or going. I can imagine some unpleasant scenes if you return to find your mooring occupied, in a full marina.

What is this CRT marina mooring permit that people are referring to?

I've never heard of this before

I don't believe there is such a thing is there. If you moor in a marina, and like MtB we mooring in Calcutt Marina, you do not get a mooring permit. Your licence has a code on it that identifies the marina that is the boat's home mooring. It you have a CRT online (or possibly other) mooring then you will have a mooring permit as well are your licence.

I don't believe there is such a thing is there. If you moor in a marina, and like MtB we mooring in Calcutt Marina, you do not get a mooring permit. Your licence has a code on it that identifies the marina that is the boat's home mooring. It you have a CRT online (or possibly other) mooring then you will have a mooring permit as well are your licence.

That is also my understandig. Generally speaking, it is only people who rent on line moorings directly from CaRT or who have "End of Garden" moorings who have a Mooring Permit. If you have an off side private mooring, where the landowner either has mooring rights or pays CaRT for the mooring, you will have the reference number of the nearst CaRT structure on your licence . Ours has GU 061-001 which is the structure reference for the Bridge at Napton Junction. I learnt this from Dave Mayall who, some years ago, posted a link to the complete list, but i did not bookmark it and cannot find it now,

I believe that it is the absence of this reference number on licences which enables you to identify a declared continuous cruiser, but you have to get very close to look for it!!

Edited by David Schweizer

I know of a boat on a private offside mooring and he has CRT mooring permit displayed. I imagine this is displayed as a requirement of an EOG mooring agreement.

On a side issue, this leads me to wonder if offside finger moorings (where the cut has been widened and a row of boats are moored perpendicularly to the bank) pay the 50% EOG or the 9% NAA...

MtB

Is it not the case the you only have the "EOG" 50% fee it you are paying that directly to CRT, and then possibly paying another fee to the land owner. In some cases you just pay they land owner, don't you, and you never see the EOG fee. I am a bit interested in this area as we are currently looking for a house with a mooring, in which case I am assuming my only cost would be the EOG fee to CRT, as I won the land.

That is also my understandig. Generally speaking, it is only people who rent on line moorings directly from CaRT or who have "End of Garden" moorings who have a Mooring Permit. If you have an off side private mooring, where the landowner either has mooring rights or pays CaRT for the mooring, you will have the reference number of the nearst CaRT structure on your licence . Ours has GU 061-001 which is the structure reference for the Bridge at Napton Junction. I learnt this from Dave Mayall who, some years ago, posted a link to the complete list, but i did not bookmark it and cannot find it now,

I believe that it is the absence of this reference number on licences which enables you to identify a declared continuous cruiser, but you have to get very close to look for it!!

To be strictly accurate, boaters who have no declared home mooring have a special code.

The code is USUALLY BW-065-007, but I have seen other codes of the form BW-nnn-007, and I assume that these other codes accomodate other reasons than CC-ing that mean that a boat would have no declared home mooring (such as portable boats)

Declared boat "without a home mooring...

...or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left.... whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere" wink.png

The code is USUALLY BW-065-007, but I have seen other codes of the form BW-nnn-007,

Is that a licence not to stay still?

(I'm trying my best but can only work with what is given to me).

Not on the licence plate number. Mine was issued in advance of boat completion before I decided to be a CC or not. It was later confirmed by C&RT office that numbers are simply issued sequentially for all new boats.

Not on the licence plate number. Mine was issued in advance of boat completion before I decided to be a CC or not. It was later confirmed by C&RT office that numbers are simply issued sequentially for all new boats.

No, on the paper licence.

No it's on the paper licence not the plate. It's a code made up of letters indicating the canal, and numbers indicating the location.

I've wondered, is it illegal (or fattening) to display a homemade piece of paper which looks exactly like a valid licence?

Is it illegal to plaster your boat with hundreds of pieces of paper which are very similar to valid licences but definitely are not identical, to the point where you could argue that there was definitely a valid licence in there somewhere, you just have to find it?

I've wondered, is it illegal (or fattening) to display a homemade piece of paper which looks exactly like a valid licence?

Is it illegal to plaster your boat with hundreds of pieces of paper which are very similar to valid licences but definitely are not identical, to the point where you could argue that there was definitely a valid licence in there somewhere, you just have to find it?

That looks like a cast-iron way to draw the attention of the enforcement teams - you know they like a challenge!!! detective.gificecream.gif

Bearing in mind that the paper licence itself doesn't actually matter any more, I doubt you'd upset anyone. As long as your index number is displayed, no licence checker will mind.

Except in my case, there's always an exception, long discussion with BW but they said that it was what the computer had come up with.

Did not help that the paper bit had the wrong boat name on it.

Returned the lot, they insisted the registration number was correct but the paper one was wrong.

So my registration number implies my boat is older than it is but I have paperwork to prove otherwise.

And you could paint the front of your car white and the back yellow and then plaster both ends with random numbers and letters to confuse the automatic number plate recognition cameras!