How to be cool

maty

Featured Posts

This may be a bit premature , as this is my 1st summer on a boat , I can see it getting quite warm on the boat and with a dog as well , was just looking at ways that folk keep cool in the summer months ahead , ie , are these portable air con units any good , or simply just a cheap fan , thanks maty

Edited by maty

We have a fan for moving air around. To supply the air we open as many openings as possible.

We have thought of air con units but have decided it's not the way to go, for us. Plenty of liquid in an cool old pub sometimes helps!

Martyn

If you have 'bus' windows often the top opening glass can be completely removed as can the glass from certain porthole types. This can increase ventilation (but be careful you don't break one)

This may be a bit premature , as this is my 1st summer on a boat , I can see it getting quite warm on the boat and with a dog as well , was just looking at ways that folk keep cool in the summer months ahead , ie , are these portable air con units any good , or simply just a cheap fan , thanks maty

The heat is never quite as severe on the water as in a house. Open all your doors and hatches and it will be fine.

MtB

I was thinking of using a fan to pull air over the ballast and base plate to cool the boat. It's been on the to do list for several years...

You don't need to get a fan to do this, your boat should already be equipped with a fan. A big brass one at the back. Switch this on and open your front and rear doors. This should get a nice draught travelling through the boat.

• Greenie 1

Cut out as much solar gain as possible, shade windows where you can, open doors at both ends plus Houdini hatches/dog boxes, this allows hot air to rise up through the roof and allows cooler to flow in the doors.

If you have large bus windows consider reflective film, it works a treat and adds to privacy.

Phil

As mentioned in another forum my next Todo project is to fit a USB fan (£2:59 on amazon) into one of the mushroom vents to pull air out of the boat.

Regards earlier post about Bus windows if these are top hopper windows then when glass is lifted out it can be stored in the bottom drainage channel better than leaving it leaning against something.

As mentioned in another forum my next Todo project is to fit a USB fan (£2:59 on amazon) into one of the mushroom vents to pull air out of the boat.

Regards earlier post about Bus windows if these are top hopper windows then when glass is lifted out it can be stored in the bottom drainage channel better than leaving it leaning against something.

If you are going to fit a fan to a vent why noy cover all bases and make it dual purpose ie ventilation and galley extractor fan.

Phil

The heat is never quite as severe on the water as in a house. Open all your doors and hatches and it will be fine.

MtB

Agree, Just open everything that you can for ventilation. If you can, take out your 'A' frame window and 'Paint' your roof cream or, white

Edited by Androo

Thanks for your ideas , I'll probably get a fan to circulate the air , it's mainly for my dog , because she can't come to work with me all the time , she has a dog walker in the day ( girlfriend ) so leaving doors open is not an option , I'll monitor it but as some people have said it does not get as hot as a house

Thanks for your ideas , I'll probably get a fan to circulate the air , it's mainly for my dog , because she can't come to work with me all the time , she has a dog walker in the day ( girlfriend ) so leaving doors open is not an option , I'll monitor it but as some people have said it does not get as hot as a house

It will get hot. Please be careful.

Martyn

Let's hope we can all enjoy a lovely sunny safe summer time.

Last year (our first) the heat was oppressive at times.

We found a 150w rotating tower fan helped (a little) but with all the hoppers out and the front and rear doors open it was, at times, too much.

Highest recorded inside temperature was 37!

We have a dog, Whiskey, and he found it hard.

Lots of water to drink, lay up in the shade if you're out roaming.

Enjoy.

it could get too hot for a dog if all the windows are shut etc..

Moor under a tree, close curtains on sunny side, leave all windows open, and put in a max temp thermometer on a hot day without the dog in there... once you know how bad it can get, you can make the decision.. Its not going to be like a car, but it can get pretty warm.

Let's hope we can all enjoy a lovely sunny safe summer time.
Last year (our first) the heat was oppressive at times.
We found a 150w rotating tower fan helped (a little) but with all the hoppers out and the front and rear doors open it was, at times, too much.
Highest recorded inside temperature was 37!
We have a dog, Whiskey, and he found it hard.
Lots of water to drink, lay up in the shade if you're out roaming.
Enjoy.

Depends on size of boat, how much ventilation, how much insulation, etc.... To compare on my 70ft with "bus windows" which I removed the glass from on the non-towpath side and a 3 ft by 4 ft roof light (/ dog box) which I leave a few inches open, max I saw last summer was 31 deg. Still hot, but more bearable than Jordansgangs experience.. My dog wasn't on the boat luckily at the time, although she likes to bake in the sun!

Edited by FidoDido

Trust me a boat gets a lot hotter than a house when it is closed up and really not fair to leave a dog in such conditions. We have 2 dogs and when its hot will not leave them for more than an hour and we leave 2 Houdini hatches open plus a fan down at dog level. Please take good care of your canine buddy.

Phil

Even when the boat feels hot it is surprising how cool it is on the floor.

I got heat stroke last year as iwas on the river trent and when I moored up lay on the floor now bought cheap fan and plug into fag lighter socket the wife laughed and sat there sun bathing never bother her I also steer under a brolly