What is a Mooring?

Pilly

Featured Posts

Well all temporary moorings are time limited to a maximum of 14 days.

Whilst that is true, of course it is, but it was a reference to the term 'Visitor Mooring' that the OP asked about.

Generally areas where you can moor for up to 14 days are not designated as VM's. I believe the longest I have seen is 7 days (but there could be longer ones that I am not aware of).

Whilst that is true, of course it is, but it was a reference to the term 'Visitor Mooring' that the OP asked about.

Generally areas where you can moor for up to 14 days are not designated as VM's. I believe the longest I have seen is 7 days (but there could be longer ones that I am not aware of).

Yes, I know they asked about Visitor Moorings.

If you read my reply, I was also talking about Visitor Moorings. In the South East well over 50% of all the VMs that CRT recognise as such are 14 day stay, (i.e. no more time restricted than any other bit of tow-path).

The minutes of the November Navigation Advisory Group (Licencing and Moorings Subgroup), revealed that CRT believe they have no less than 850 sites country wide designated "Visitor Moorings". I can't find stats for how many of them do not have time restrictions beyond 14 days, but I'd be amazed if countrywide more than 50% were not 14 days again - i.e. no additionally resriction over casual towpath mooring at a "non VM" site.

So I think my suggestion that "Visitor Mooring" by no means can be taken to mean "time restricted", (as at least 3 people suggested), is actually spot on, isn't it?

To clarify I am not saying VM's are the only ones with a time limit nor that that uniquely defines them. Having a time limit is just one aspect of them along with where they are usually sited.

I think most people understand the distinction of the time limit as applied to a VM as opposed to the 'overall' time limit that applies elsewhere.

So as you can see, well over half the temporary moorings on SE Waterways defined by them as "Visitor Moorings" have no shorter maximum stay time than any other bit of canal bank you can use for temporary moorings.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

In my mind a visitor mooring has less to do with duration and more to do with an area of bank that has been dredged to allow most boats to more alongside together with a level bank where the towpath is cut back more than elsewhere. Hopefully visitor moorings will continue in the same number or increase given that there has been no increase for many years despite a dramatic increase in licensed boats.

• Greenie 1

In my mind a visitor mooring has less to do with duration and more to do with an area of bank that has been dredged to allow most boats to more alongside together with a level bank where the towpath is cut back more than elsewhere. Hopefully visitor moorings will continue in the same number or increase given that there has been no increase for many years despite a dramatic increase in licensed boats.

Speaking as a 'Southerner' (Portsmouth), 40 years back I drove hundreds of miles to hire boats on narrow canals including, e.g., the BCN and Southern Stratford. My ambition was to cruise the K&A when it re-opened. I was fortunate to buy a boat and obtain a K&A mooring only 50 miles from home. I met visiting and hire boaters who said "This is a horrible canal, there's nowhere to moor, no mooring rings and no landings at locks.

None of this bothered me; I relished the challenge of navigating a 'new' waterway; I have a boarding plank! Clearly, the soft Northerners were used to canals built for narrowboats; not for widebeam West Country Barges. Nowadays all the K&A locks have landing places for locks and even small villages have piled visitor moorings with (undersized) mooring rings and a hard towpath.

In perspective of the 200+ year history of the UK canal system I could argue that much has been done (spent) to facilitate leisure boaters in the past 20 years. It seems reasonable to me that a proportion of the hire fleet's licence fees should be invested in the facilities that their customers demand. I doubt any hireboat stays more than 24hrs on any mooring; as owner, leisure boaters we needed 72hrs in Oxford, Bath etc.

Alan (moored 7' from a very muddy towpath).

"Rainbow Mooring"

This has 30amp electric supply, personal elsan disposal point, dedicated high-pressure 1" water point, individual road access to the side of the boat, BBQ and storage facility, laundrette and shower facility within 400 yards, is residential and online but non-towpath, and costs £10 per foot per year, every year. Half way along the boat it has a full size but narrow winding hole on the bank side so nobody else can use it while the boat is moored so it is a personal winding hole. It also has a postal address & letter box and the nearest human habitation is a rather excellent pub slightly less than a quarter of a mile away. It may have other features that I have missed.

It is easily found because it is at the end of the rainbow.

"Rainbow Mooring"

This has 30amp electric supply, personal elsan disposal point, dedicated high-pressure 1" water point, individual road access to the side of the boat, BBQ and storage facility, laundrette and shower facility within 400 yards, is residential and online but non-towpath, and costs £10 per foot per year, every year. Half way along the boat it has a full size but narrow winding hole on the bank side so nobody else can use it while the boat is moored so it is a personal winding hole. It also has a postal address & letter box and the nearest human habitation is a rather excellent pub slightly less than a quarter of a mile away. It may have other features that I have missed.

It is easily found because it is at the end of the rainbow.

Hey,,I must have found it,I don't know how to put my pics in a post,but it's photo 56 in the 'Boats' gallery. My boat at the Rainbow Mooring.cheers.gif

Hey,,I must have found it,I don't know how to put my pics in a post,but it's photo 56 in the 'Boats' gallery. My boat at the Rainbow Mooring.cheers.gif

gallery_20018_2_82148.jpg

(nice looking boat BTW)

"Orienteering Mooring"

A mooring at which decrepit, missing or contradictory signage means visiting boaters must scour the towpath for clues as to where they are allowed to moor and for how long.

"Test Your Strength Mooring"

A towpath mooring at which unexpectedly rocky conditions below the surface require multiple strenuous attempts to hammer in one's mooring pins.