Fish tanks and boating?

Stevethetrain

Featured Posts

I'm afraid I can't give you any real advice, other than to tell you to try the search function as I seem to remember a thread on this very subject recently.

The search forum may however be useless as I think if you search "fish tank" you will get every thread containing the word fish OR tank. I've certainly never had much joy using the search function.

Some one has but I think they where on permanent bank electric .

I wish I could find a 12volt heater then I would keep tropical fish.

With a well balanced tank you do not need air-pumps or filtration just good housekeeping and not overfeeding.

If you do go for it then post pictures and an article .

• Greenie 1

Sitting here gently bumping against the pontoon as the wind blows, having several gallons of water sloshing around in a fish tank doesn't seem like a good idea either for me or for the fish. If I tighten the ropes to stop the bumping, then when the level rises after last night's rain, then the boat would be listing, although not rocking. It's also no help when cruising.

Then there's the need to keep a tropical tank at a roughly constant temperature with the temperature in the day cabin varying daily at the moment from about 5 degrees to about 35 degrees.

When boat rocking does your drink slop out of glass/cup. Fish tanks can be globe shaped (bio-orb)or have an internal lip with a glass lid and do not need filling to the top. Main thing is stable positioning. Larger the tank less problem with fluctuating temperatures.

I have a 48 litre tank on my boat, it's not a narrowboat with poor balasting so it doesn't rock as bad. A few things to note...

Tropical fish and non-shore power - don't even think about it, too power hungry.

When I go for a cruise the water is a lot dirtier from all the rubbish that's held in the gravel that gets into the water from the movement of the boat.

I have upgraded my filter pump/system to be external and too be more powerful than needs to be. This way it doesn't need to be on 24/7.

Don't underestimate how much power the pump will use. A 8 watt pump will use around 19ah's a day at 12volt including inverter losses.

A tank that goes from front to back will show the water level "slanted". It's very annoying.

• Greenie 1

Some one has but I think they where on permanent bank electric .

I wish I could find a 12volt heater then I would keep tropical fish.

With a well balanced tank you do not need air-pumps or filtration just good housekeeping and not overfeeding.

If you do go for it then post pictures and an article .

Here is a 24 volt one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-PRO-TEMP-BASIS-120-HEATING-CABLE-HEATER-PLANTS-FISH-/200446367919?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2eab88d8af

I know someone with a fish tank but they go on mains electric for winter and have solar and a lot of generator in summer for domestic purposes which covers the fish tank power quite easily.

Apparently some fish shops (?) Won't sell tropical fish if they think you are on a boat because of the probability of the fish dying or being generally in poor health.

Due to the potential lack of mains electric I mean

A near neighbour has a tropical fish tank which she has had for some years even while doing the system and it is unheated, has a 12v pump.

I know because I had to feed them while she had a prolonged hospital stay. She claimed that she slowly got them used to lower temp over a extende period and now they don't require heating.

I guess this is the same as the case with pond fish that are ailing with fungal infestation. We put them in a tank and over a period of days added salt to the water a little ata time, this killed of the fungus, we then reversed the process, result happy fungus free fish

Phil

Tropical fish require a range of temperature some hot and others temperate Zebra Danios do well at lower temperatures for e.g.

None will survive in an unheated boat in the winter without a tank heater.unsure.png

Tropical fish require a range of temperature some hot and others temperate Zebra Danios do well at lower temperatures for e.g.

None will survive in an unheated boat in the winter without a tank heater.unsure.png

Sorry but my neighbours do

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Sitting here gently bumping against the pontoon as the wind blows, having several gallons of water sloshing around in a fish tank doesn't seem like a good idea either for me or for the fish. If I tighten the ropes to stop the bumping, then when the level rises after last night's rain, then the boat would be listing, although not rocking. It's also no help when cruising.

Then there's the need to keep a tropical tank at a roughly constant temperature with the temperature in the day cabin varying daily at the moment from about 5 degrees to about 35 degrees.

i wonder do fish get sea sick?sick.gif

Don't know if any of the links have pointed to gimbals. I've never kept fish in an aquarium and know little about maintaining a decent environment for them. If those needs can be met, the only other problem would be the stability of the tank and water in a moving boat.

You would need a gimbaling system with a suitable counter weight below the tank. This would probably not react quick enough on shocks or impacts.

I think 1ltr of water weighs about 1kilo.

Edited by Higgs

Don't know if any of the links have pointed to gimbals. I've never kept fish in an aquarium and know little about maintaining a decent environment for them. If those needs can be met, the only other problem would be the stability of the tank and water in a moving boat.

You would need a gimbaling system with a suitable counter weight below the tank. This would probably not react quick enough on shocks or impacts.

I think 1ltr of water weighs about 1kilo.

Do gimbals eat more fish food than guppies?

COAT!

CT

Phil Ambrose so you are saying they leave boat in the winter with no heating for how long ?

Water in tank does not freeze and fish do not die ?

That would be just silly, no they live on their boat. Who would go away and keave any creature on a unheated boat for the winter.

Phil