Does anybody live aboard with a dog?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

just wondering hilaryb. Is your shih Tzu.a pump out or a casette ????

But serously in answer to the Op We have three labs 2 white and one black, we have laminated floors but need to sweep every day. As long as you are fairly fit and dont mind walking several times a day you will be fine, our 3 love the water so at least one a day one of the daft buggers goes in for a swim, all part of the fun.

Mike.

What sort of dog do you have or want to have?

Last Friday, my dog died peacefully in her sleep, aged 16. I had had her since she was seven weeks old. She was a rough-coated Jack Russell Terrier.

I'm still grieving for her at the moment but I'm planning to buy a narrowboat in 2016 and if I could find a doggie companion half as good then I would jump at the chance.

Last Friday, my dog died peacefully in her sleep, aged 16. I had had her since she was seven weeks old. She was a rough-coated Jack Russell Terrier.

I'm still grieving for her at the moment but I'm planning to buy a narrowboat in 2016 and if I could find a doggie companion half as good then I would jump at the chance.

Sorry to hear about your companion. My first dog on board was a long haired GSD he did fine Now I have the biggest Border Collie in the world and yes he is fine too

Peter

I am intending taking my cross bred terrier--what its crossed with who knows(personally I think mouse)--its a right wuss so don't think she'll enjoy life on canal street, however I may get her a jack Russell companion to show her how to be braveboat.gif

Sorry to hear about your losing your dog.

In terms of good boat dogs, bear in mind that some dogs cannot swim, or in some cases, can barely swim- Bulldog, anything else brachycephalic, dogs with long spines and short legs, anything very stocky and head-heavy might have problems, or sink like a stone.

Two Border Terrorists and an ageing Rottie.

I have to say the Terrorists are more boat friendly in most circumstances, however the Rottie is much better at leaping ashore when we are on more 'jungley' moorings. She is also a better swimmer.

The Terrorists get to wear natty little life jackets when we are on the Thames!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your JRT. Always sad to hear someone losing their pet, as they give so much during their short lives. Nice to have lovely memories to fall back on.

We have George the Staffie. As Star may remember we discussed the fact that he is a poor swimmer.

Otherwise he, and our previous Staffie is/was great on the boat. We had two Jack Russell's onboard when we got our first boat. They were very happy as well.

Sorry to hear of your loss. When you're ready if I were you I would go for another run with a JR. Because you know them.

Martyn

We have George the Staffie. As Star may remember we discussed the fact that he is a poor swimmer.

Otherwise he, and our previous Staffie is/was great on the boat. We had two Jack Russell's onboard when we got our first boat. They were very happy as well.

Sorry to hear of your loss. When you're ready if I were you I would go for another run with a JR. Because you know them.

Martyn

Yes, Staffys are one of those breeds that are 50:50; lighter ones can usually swim passably for short periods of time, stocky and heavy ones not so much.

so sorry to hear of your loss......our two borders just sleep whilst we cruise. one was 6 the other 3 when we moved aboard and they have both adapted quite well to life afloat.

I'm sure when the time comes you will find your next canine companion.......or rather maybe he.she will find you :)

So sorry for your loss Southern Star.

We have a JRT/Corgi cross. She can keep afloat long enough for us to hoick her out of the water if we're there, but I'm pretty sure she'd be done for if we didn't spot her going in because her legs are too short to be able to escape unless there was a slipway. Fortunately the noise she makes with her frantic doggy paddling (another problem - she'd exhaust herself very quickly) has alerted us on the few occasions she's taken an impromptu swim when we weren't looking. One time she went off the back while we were filling with water (classic scenario - moored with just the centre line at the water point, dog judges distance from bank to boat, boat moves while dog is in mid air) she found her way onto the rudder and rested there to await rescue :D

Little dogs are great in that they're very portable. We can breast up with other boats, moor in the wilds (or anywhere that's not a designated mooring on the Lancaster Canal!) and deploy the gangplank knowing that we can pick Millie up and carry her. Also when she's older and unable to jump on and off the boat it'll be easy to carry her (she's 9 now so we have to think of these things). On the other hand we've seen lab sized dogs leap into the canal after a ball/stick/just for the hell of it and then scramble out with no problem, so there'd be less worry on that front.

Best of luck.

So sorry to hear of your loss - run free at the Bridge, little one. The dog and the boat will fund you - our two adore swimming and would swim alongside the boat whilst we're cruising given half a chance and so we had the dodger fitted and keep the cratch down & zipped when cruising for that reason.