which insurance company?

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

Yes, that's who we are with too. But an insurance company is only as good as its claims department and so far we don't know what they are like... (FLW).

Yup - we are with Craftinsure but 'till come it's time to make a claim I couldn't really say either way.

I'm with Craftinsure and unfortunately have experience of a £2.7K claim against me for a mishap that was my fault.

Craftinsure were brilliant. Dealt with claim efficiently and kept me informed all through the process.

• Greenie 1

I'm with Craftinsure and unfortunately have experience of a £2.7K claim against me for a mishap that was my fault.

Craftinsure were brilliant. Dealt with claim efficiently and kept me informed all through the process.

That is good to know cheers.

I've been with GJW Direct for the last 8 years. Always seem very efficient, easy and straightforward to deal with. But I guess they would be when it comes to them relieving me of my premium each year.

However, as previous posters have pointed out, you only really know how good they are when you need to deal with a claim.

I have yet to find out on that score!

So it seems Craftinsure are the ones with the track record so far.

Ken

I'm with CraftInsure having asked for recommendations on this forum. I've not had to make a claim though so I couldn't say much more.

I'm with CraftInsure having asked for recommendations on this forum. I've not had to make a claim though so I couldn't say much more.

Yes, that's who we are with too. But an insurance company is only as good as its claims department and so far we don't know what they are like... (FLW).

They have had two claims from me in the last two years. Stolen bicycle and lost iPod. Both handled well. The bicycle above and beyond expectations. The iPod as expected.

Well recommended.

We're with Mardon's (Michael Stimpson) and although fortunately we haven't had to make a claim recently, we were very happy with them when we did have to make a claim some years ago after some yobs smashed all the towpath-side windows one night. Equally their customer service has been extremely helpful when we've made queries such as agreeing a revised value of the boat or arranging a one-trip extension to cover the run from Sharpness to Bristol.

Members of the Historic Narrow Boat Club (which costs £12/year and you don't have to own an historic boat to be a member) get 15% off when insuring their boat with Michael Stimpson (part of the Towergate Mardon group).

I notice that the only two subjects raised are cost and attitude to claims.

Whilst the latter is important, judging on cost can be misleading. I wonder how many of those who changed insurers compared the old and new insurers wordings. At least one of the insurers mentioned here has a warranty requiring two competent crew at all times. There are many differences on many other aspects including, but by no means limited to, the definition and exclusions relating to latent defect.

Most of those mentioned are not insurers but brokers or underwriting agents. For example Craftinsure use the Navigators & General as underwriters of their policy, but as an agent with their own book you will find that their quote may not be the same as a direct N & G policy.

Most of those mentioned are not insurers but brokers or underwriting agents.

Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious but apparently is not. Brokers are middlemen who take a cut. Better to go direct to an actual insurer!

Will that affect your premium/NCB next time ?

They have had two claims from me in the last two years. Stolen bicycle and lost iPod. Both handled well. The bicycle above and beyond expectations. The iPod as expected.

Well recommended.

Did your premium increase for putting in a claim or was your NCB affected?

We're with Mardon's (Michael Stimpson) and although fortunately we haven't had to make a claim recently, we were very happy with them when we did have to make a claim some years ago after some yobs smashed all the towpath-side windows one night. Equally their customer service has been extremely helpful when we've made queries such as agreeing a revised value of the boat or arranging a one-trip extension to cover the run from Sharpness to Bristol.

Is this Towergate Mardon? As I'm with them. Always been able to renegotiate my quotes with them each year, now in 6th year. Never had to claim though and hope I never will.

Just noticed that it's the same company ...oops!

Edited by Androo

Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious but apparently is not. Brokers are middlemen who take a cut. Better to go direct to an actual insurer!

Not always.

Our policy through the broker Velos is much cheaper than us going to Allianz direct. The brokers have a group deal.

I notice that the only two subjects raised are cost and attitude to claims.

Whilst the latter is important, judging on cost can be misleading. I wonder how many of those who changed insurers compared the old and new insurers wordings. At least one of the insurers mentioned here has a warranty requiring two competent crew at all times. There are many differences on many other aspects including, but by no means limited to, the definition and exclusions relating to latent defect.

Most of those mentioned are not insurers but brokers or underwriting agents. For example Craftinsure use the Navigators & General as underwriters of their policy, but as an agent with their own book you will find that their quote may not be the same as a direct N & G policy.

Craftinsure appear to have changed underwriters - they now use Zurich according to the website.

Based on the reasonable quote they gave online and the cover they offer and what's been said on this website I think we'll be going with them for our soon to be acquired boat (hopefully - cross fingers re the survey!)

Steve

Will that affect your premium/NCB next time ?

Did your premium increase for putting in a claim or was your NCB affected?

I had a protected NCB so that is safe and premium stayed the same at renewal in December. Nav and Gen is part of Zurich now. Used to be Eagle Star

We aksk get free RCR membership at retainer level

Edited by jelunga