when to have bss inspection done?

philjw

Featured Posts

Can someone remind me please the length of time before the expiry date of a bss certificate that a new one can be issued starting at the point when the old one runs out?

Mine is due in April. Nothing much changed in the last 4 years bss wise so ought to pass first time :-\

Thanks

Phil

I wouldn't worry about that -- what is important is how long you have before the licence renewal is due. I'd just get the BSS done at around the time the old one expires -- or later, if you have the nerve.

and invalidate your insurance?

I wouldn't worry about that -- what is important is how long you have before the licence renewal is due. I'd just get the BSS done at around the time the old one expires -- or later, if you have the nerve.

But if you decide to risk doing it later, it could void your insurance

I think it's 2 months that the BSS can be post dated.

Had mine done today and the boat failed on domestic gas pressure.

My BSS certificate expires on the 14th February.

The "man who does" is coming on Thursday to attend to it. So I have a couple of weeks grace to get the BSS examiner back to do a retest.

I personally wouldn't want to risk invalidating my insurance thank you very much!

Edited by Ray T

I'm not tempted - but the licence also runs out in April.

So is it 2 months then?

Thanks for the prompt replies so far. I didn't think this topic would start a rucass

Peeps need some alternative to the Pillings threads.

To clarify it's two months BEFORE the BSC expires (not after).

. Nothing much changed in the last 4 years bss wise so ought to pass first time :-\

A lot has changed with the BSS - there are 93 changes in the requirements in the new 2013 issue.

My boat failed on things that had passed before.

As an example - gas lockers are now checked to make sure they are not rusty / rusted thru'. Mains leads are checked for abrasion etc etc.

I'm not tempted - but the licence also runs out in April.

So is it 2 months then?

Thanks for the prompt replies so far. I didn't think this topic would start a rucass

Haha, rucus?

Yep 2 months

"You can book an examination up to two months before your old

certificate or RCD Declaration of Conformity 4-year deadline runs out. If
your boat passes first time, the examiner will post-date the new
certificate to start from the date when the old one or DoC expires. This
means you do not lose any of the full four-year validity of the certificate"
www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/164493/bss%20guide%20chap1.pdf

But if you decide to risk doing it later, it could void your insurance

Hence 'if you have the nerve'.

If the certificate is granted straight away, you can leave it until the last day the old one is valid. If the boat then fails, you have to get it compliant immediately. That's where the nerve comes in.

If you have no reason to make an insurance claim, the chances of detection are low. I couldn't possibly condone such an attitude, but that's the way it is.

Haha, rucus?

Yep 2 months

"You can book an examination up to two months before your old

certificate or RCD Declaration of Conformity 4-year deadline runs out. If
your boat passes first time, the examiner will post-date the new
certificate to start from the date when the old one or DoC expires. This
means you do not lose any of the full four-year validity of the certificate"
www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/164493/bss%20guide%20chap1.pdf

I'm glad someone could be arsed to look it up. Thank you!

How much does it cost for a re-test?

Coming up to 4 years we've just paid £160 for a (very thorough) test + £45 for the BSS paperwork.

We failed on a couple of relatively easy to fix items. Inspector accepted photographic evidence of work undertaken before signing off. No re-test required.

I do not charge for a return visit to boats in my local area. (If there is signicicant travel I must charge). I feel this is good for business as it assures boaters that they are not being "failed" for financial gain.

The examination or "test" is the same for all, it is just a fact of nature that some examiners may appear more thorough than others.

If more than thrree months elapses between the failed exam and the re-examination then the full exam will have to be carried out again, and charged for. Having recently examined the boat I personally would negotiate a reduced charge this depends very much on circumstances, time elapsed, and owner co-operation.

Confirm. BSS examination taken in the two months before the old certificate can be forward dated to expire ffour years from the expiry date of the old certificate.

Edited by Radiomariner

Peeps need some alternative to the Pillings threads.

Amazingly, considering it is nearing 80 pages, there hasn't been much evidence of a RUCKAS. I have however just noticed that the usual suspects are just getting going in the latest ACC thread.