Noisiest non-electrical boat horn on a a budget?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

My boat's horn is just a touch quieter than a gently meowing cat. I am fairly sure I could make a louder warning of my presence by simply saying "meep meep" out loud, and today someone got their balls in a knot with me over it, saying that I should have beeped my presence to them, when I had infact done so- still, I see their point, my horn is ineffectively quiet.

Anyway, wiring up a new 12v horn is outside of my level of expertise, so what is the best option for a manual/hand operated horn I can use from the stern, for say, under £15? I know a klaxxon is likely the loudest thing you can buy and I'd love one, but they're too expensive. I'd rather not get an airhorn, as I don't want to have to replace the gas cartridges.

Edit to add: Also want a hand operated thing not a blow in thing.

I'd like something I can clip to the handrails, but this is not essential- can anyone comment if something like one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141162265484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

would be loud enough, or recommend an alternative on a budget?

Edited by Starcoaster

I got myself one of these... http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=131&cat=5&page=1

Requires a bit of puff, but nice n loud...

I think a £5 air horn are pretty loud tho, and a lot easier to blow.

What about a rechargeable one? http://www.kylechandlers.co.uk/showpartnumber.asp?PartNumberID=109939

Edited by Robbo

My boat's horn is just a touch quieter than a gently meowing cat. I am fairly sure I could make a louder warning of my presence by simply saying "meep meep" out loud, and today someone got their balls in a knot with me over it, saying that I should have beeped my presence to them, when I had infact done so- still, I see their point, my horn is ineffectively quiet.

Anyway, wiring up a new 12v horn is outside of my level of expertise, so what is the best option for a manual/hand operated horn I can use from the stern, for say, under £15? I know a klaxxon is likely the loudest thing you can buy and I'd love one, but they're too expensive. I'd rather not get an airhorn, as I don't want to have to replace the gas cartridges.

I'd like something I can clip to the handrails, but this is not essential- can anyone comment if something like one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141162265484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Was the someone Blind as well as deaf ?

Under £15 may be pushing it for something load, unless you can find second hand.

The full price of the various Acme horns is usually a bit more, but they are loud, (although clearly you have to supply the "huff").

Example here, but I think they do loads.

Similar to what railway lookout men used to use to warn track workers of approaching trains, I think.

Argh I should also have mentioned, not one you have to blow in out of choice! Thanks. (will edit)

Too late!

If you don't want....

1) Electric

2) Gas canister

3) Blow it yourself

I think you are probably into hand wound and plunger types - a lor more than £15, normally.

You wouldn't be able to do a long honk for 2 seconds. When using a horn for letting people know your around, a honk isn't good enough - your in a boat not a car you need to do a hooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

If it's just the horn bit thats packed & the wires are OK, look to see how the wires are connected to quiet hooter. If it has spade tags it's easy to swap the duff one for a Halfords special. (other motor factors exist) You might even get lucky and find that the terminals just need cleaning up as has just happened with my van.

Argh i don't get any of this stuff, like how to find/change the current horn, what a terminal or spade tag looks like, etc. sad.png

I think it will be easier just to get something mechanical/non electrical I can work on an ad-hoc basis.

Edited by Starcoaster

Argh i don't get any of this stuff, like how to find/change the current horn, what a terminal or spade tag looks like, etc. sad.png

I think it will be easier just to get something mechanical/non electrical I can work on an ad-hoc basis.

In the short term yes, just buy yourself a handheld horn - always useful as back up. But if you have a boat (or are living aboard?) then at some point you will need to learn about 12v electrics - it's no good getting frustrated and saying that you don't get it...

On the other hand if you're not interested then there are plenty of marine electricians and others around who can do it for you at a price, but since money seems to be an issue why not learn to do it yourself?

Edited by blackrose

Before buying another horn have a check to see if your current one is chock full of spiders webs! Mine was.

I also bought a plunger type horn for a little over a fiver from a local motorist shop. It's VERY loud and handy when I am out in the dingy (which is powered by an electric outboard so people need to be warned that I am there).

Dave

As Alan Saunders said. If its a car type horn and making a low strangled sort of noise there is often an adjusting screw on the back. this screw is is usually just a grub screw sometimes with a locknut to suit an ordinary flat bladed screwdriver, a little tweak on this screw one way or other whilst someone keeps the horn button pressed in to tweak it for maximum loudness can make a surprising difference.

Regarding another horn

Starry I have, in my garage, a 12V mega decibel horn that I bought for my bike. I took it off again because it touched the front mudguard when the suspension compressed and scratched the paint

So its almost new, though several years old if you see what I mean

Its yours if you want it

The original horn on our boat was pathetic, so I bought a pair of Audi 100 horns from a breakers yard for fiver, and connected them to the existing wires. We can certainly be heard now.

Just one word of advice, loud horns do use a lot of power to activate them, so the cables need to be quite substantial to overcome voltage drop.

Edited by David Schweizer

There's nothing like an impossible request to get (helpful) peeps replying.

The nearest device to warn folks of your presence and that which nearly (28p) falls within you price range is here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-hand-bell-Bronze-table-school-pub-reception-wedding-/271367072431?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item3f2ebceaaf#ht_62wt_1096

It's a handbell. On civilised waters, you're allowed to uses a bell, whistle, or horn.

Off topic because blow,blow, Ye Winter Winds are not allowed, may I suggest either an acme polis' whistle or siren. Suggested because The Management is not blessed with a lot of puff - but she manages either of these without difficulty. A Bosun's Whistle requires even less volume of air - but is tricky to learn.