STOP LOSING FENDERS FOR EVER

trebby91

Featured Posts

Can people please stop using coats that contain kapok, I recently caught one on my prop and it was a devil to clear.

Also could fisherman stop using line on their tackle, same reason.

While on the subject can all trees and vegetation be removed from all waterways as if you get too close it can cause scratches to paintwork and blacking.

On second thoughts, don't worry just stop cruising then we won't be bothered about all these nasty things around the waterways biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by tommytelford

My personal preference is to only use fenders whilst moored up, not to protect the paint, but to make sure I get a decent night's sleep by stopping the boat from scraping or knocking the bank.

On the other hand, everybody please continue as you are... I have a plentiful supply of random side fenders which I have fished out the cut... which means I've never had to buy any :)

I usually leave the fenders down for the following reasons.

My boat is fitted with 'pipe' fenders which hang from eyes which are welded to the edge of the gunwales. If I lift them, then they can only be layed along the gunwales and they have a habit of dropping back down at fairly frequent intervals. If I try to lift them again then the ones on the offside can only be reached by walking along the gunwale and then crouching down to lift them back up. I find this rather a rather awkward operation and as a non-swimmer not worth the risk. If by luck they remain on the gunwale then I invariably forget them and trip over them when walking along the side of the boat (another hazard).

I've lost a few in locks over the years, that's true, but being made of heavy rubber they sink straight to the bottom and don't stand a chance of fouling anyone's prop. Bad luck for me but good luck for the chandlers.

I cannot see how any of this is a problem or inconvenience for anyone else but I am open to persuasion if you can come up with convincing reasons.

Pophops

• Greenie 1

My boat is fitted with 'pipe' fenders which hang from eyes which are welded to the edge of the gunwales. If I lift them, then they can only be layed along the gunwales and they have a habit of dropping back down at fairly frequent intervals. If I try to lift them again then the ones on the offside can only be reached by walking along the gunwale and then crouching down to lift them back up. I find this rather a rather awkward operation and as a non-swimmer not worth the risk. If by luck they remain on the gunwale then I invariably forget them and trip over them when walking along the side of the boat (another hazard).

I've lost a few in locks over the years, that's true, but being made of heavy rubber they sink straight to the bottom and don't stand a chance of fouling anyone's prop. Bad luck for me but good luck for the chandlers.

I cannot see how any of this is a problem or inconvenience for anyone else but I am open to persuasion if you can come up with convincing reasons.

Pophops

Good point, mine are rubber too. Also agree with Tommy, we had push bike tyre caught in our prop once LOL I recently lost 15m of very expensive braided mooring rope,colour Red it's probably laying on the bottom of the cut somewhere between Sevington & Seend. If it ended up around someone's prop, then I apologise, if there's a decent length left though, can I have it back rolleyes.gif

Sometimes the rubber fenders which sink have been known to get caught up in the gates which means they don't open or close properly and can be a nightmare!

I suspect there's a multitude of odds and ends in the canal that do the same. I rubber fender is quite heavy though, I would think where it lands is probably where it will stay, it'll probably be under the silt within a few days.

Only my back 2 fenders dangle, I hardly think it could be measured taking into account all the other variables.

Edited by Julynian

Sometimes the rubber fenders which sink have been known to get caught up in the gates which means they don't open or close properly and can be a nightmare!

Tyres are banned as fenders in some countries, because they can get torn off and then end up jamming paddles/culverts & cost a fortune to clear.

I suppose the same could happen on a smaller scale with rubber pipe fenders.

Tim

Tyres are banned as fenders in some countries, because they can get torn off and then end up jamming paddles/culverts & cost a fortune to clear.

I suppose the same could happen on a smaller scale with rubber pipe fenders.

Tim

Tyres are banned on the Wey Navigation. My bow and stern fenders are car tyres wrapped with nicely knotted rope - The Wey Navigation Authority (National Trust) is more than a little ignorant about boating

I have removed a couple of rubber pipe-fenders from the cut and put them in the bin. Blackrose, cruise with fenders down but do not leave me to remove and bin them.

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

I am so glad that some people leave their side fenders down in locks because they get ripped off then I pick them up and keep them. That way I always have a good supply of them to put down overnight. In over 25 years of boat ownership I've never had to buy one.

Likewise, got a real nice selection now.

Likewise, got a real nice selection now.

I watched a NB go into Hurlston bottom lock last year, with fenders down. There is a sign requesting that fenders are taken up in this lock. When challenged, the steerer said that they always go through locks with fenders down. I feared the worst, but they got lucky. Many have got stuck in that lock without fenders.

Pophops

I suggest you attach your fenders with carbine hooks. You clip them on when you moor up, and unclip them when you set off. As they're only ever between the boat and the piling, you never have them on the outside.

Losing fenders in locks may not cause anyone any problems immediately, but when that fender gets stuck in the gate so it won't open fully, or won't close -- or gets sucked into a culvert and gets stuck so the paddle won't close -- then it can be a real pain.

I suggest you attach your fenders with carbine hooks.

Please don't take this as a pedantic spelling correction, but your typo puzzled me for a moment as I wondered what a carbine hook might be. A hook for one of these?

800px-Jungle_Carbine.jpg

...or exploding bolts? Exploding bolts! There's an idea for attaching "sacrificial" fenders. Don't wait for them to get snatched off by a lock wall. Actively eject the buggers with a single button press from the cockpit, sending them soaring spectacularly over the hedgerows.

The 'no fenders ' thing has a much longer history than you may think. It is generally considered to be good seamanship by professional sailors. There was a lovely example during the Jubilee Pageant when a small boat crewed by the navy came alongside (I don't remember the exact details). The crew fore and aft presented boat hooks, then one of them deployed a single fender just as they came alongside. Once they had set their passenger ashore, they moved off, immediately taking the fender back on board

Festooning boats with fenders is a relatively new phenomenon

Richard

You're right, Richard. It's generally considered "bad form" to leave fenders down when at sea.

However, in that scenario, it's usually a matter of several hours, if not days, weeks or months before the boat makes contact with a quayside again. Certainly when sailing, there are already enough ropes to get tangled without adding any more, so it makes perfect sense to remove fenders and place them away in a locker.

However, the situation inland is different. For example, many of the lock landings on the Avon have nasty projections that will remove the paint from your boat - and I'm not just talking about a bit of blacking.

If anyone expects me to faff about dropping fenders every time we approach a lock and then pick them back up again before we exit just because of some sea-going snobbery, then they are going to be disappointed. If I'm wrong, then so are 99.9% of the boaters on the Avon, nearly all of whom cruise with fenders down.

Other than being courteous to other waterway users, e.g. when sharing locks and breasting up, I don't believe that there are any "right ways" or "wrong ways" with regard to fenders inland. Do your own thing!

However, the situation inland is different. For example, many of the lock landings on the Avon have nasty projections that will remove the paint from your boat - and I'm not just talking about a bit of blacking.

If the lock landing has a projection that will remove paint, not blacking, said projection must be above gunwale height, so having a fender down won't protect your paint unless it's a yottie balloon type. And shurely a projection of that nature should be reported to the relevant waterways authority? Do you have any photos?

If the lock landing has a projection that will remove paint, not blacking, said projection must be above gunwale height, so having a fender down won't protect your paint unless it's a yottie balloon type. And shurely a projection of that nature should be reported to the relevant waterways authority? Do you have any photos?

I have 4" fenders that I use on the river, and no, they don't give total protection, but they help. Note that it is a river navigation, so water level varies and there are a wide variety of craft on the navigation. The concept of "gunwhale height" doe not exist in the same way as it does on narrow canals.

I don't have any photos, and I don't think it would be worth complaining to ANT. I suspect that they would just suggest that I use fenders....

Please don't take this as a pedantic spelling correction, but your typo puzzled me for a moment as I wondered what a carbine hook might be. A hook for one of these?

...or exploding bolts? Exploding bolts! There's an idea for attaching "sacrificial" fenders. Don't wait for them to get snatched off by a lock wall. Actively eject the buggers with a single button press from the cockpit, sending them soaring spectacularly over the hedgerows.

It's not a spelling mistake or a typo. If you google carbine hook rather than just carbine, you'll find lots like these.

I genuinely believe that at the heart of the fenders up or down argument is a sense of superiority from those who cruise with fenders up. It's seen as a sign of an inexperienced boater if fenders are down so the 'proper boaters' like to put their fenders up to signal how great they are at the helm.

I personally couldn't give a toss what people think so I leave my fenders down, always (except rare cases such as Hurlesdon). I've never lost a fender and i wouldn't mind if I did since I have a large collection of fenders I've fished out. I've even given away some to other boaters. The cheap rubber fenders I use are getting quite cracked and perished now, due to age I think, so I might change them soon. For all I know they've been on there from new.

I do understand the argument about fenders down in locks being dangerous, I just don't agree with it. I can imagine a scenario where fenders could cause a hang up in a lock, but I can also imagine a scenario where fenders would prevent one.

Ascending a lock in old springer, design of hull means much more likely to get stuck under a projecting ledge without fenders.

Inexperienced lockie sends my bow hurtling towards other wall of lock - without fender broken crockery. This has happened. I now try to remember to hang the balloon.

It's not a spelling mistake or a typo. If you google carbine hook rather than just carbine, you'll find lots like these.

Well I make extensive use of those, and had no idea they are ever called that.

Certainly not so called at our local DIY shop or in the "boaty" section of Clas Ohlsen where they are simply described as a Snap Hook

8871373864990.jpg

"Carbine Hook" hey? - well I never!

Incidentally, they are also called "Hold Sickle's Waterproof Tug Deck Cover Down With Plastic Milk Bottles Filled With Water Hooks"

It does have its advantages, though. You can fall in love, and scamper about unimpeded by angels.

True, but the bells are quite wearing, and these tights chafe something rotten

Richard

Certainly not so called at our local DIY shop or in the "boaty" section of Clas Ohlsen where they are simply described as a Snap Hook8871373864990.jpg

Incidentally, they are also called "Hold Sickle's Waterproof Tug Deck Cover Down With Plastic Milk Bottles Filled With Water Hooks"

Carabina hook?

Richard

Certainly not so called at our local DIY shop or in the "boaty" section of Clas Ohlsen where they are simply described as a Snap Hook

8871373864990.jpg

Try CARABINER

(or Karabiner)

Tim

Carabina hook?

Richard

Yes, as I'm sure you have found "Google" reveals that more familiar term is also in use for exactly this item, but as Adam says, so it "Carbine".

Odd!

Try CARABINER

(or Karabiner)

Tim

Yep familiar with that term, although I think of it as an item shaped as in your link, as used by climbers, etc.

seems that term is also used for the shape of thing Adam mentions.

8871373864990.jpg

I used to use those, but now use handrail hooks with adjustable rope which are much easier to deploy and also let you place them anywhere- very useful on the variable-shelved Shroppie. To adjust the length i use a piece of 1/2" heater hose, about 4 inches long with two holes in it. Rope goes through one hole, through loop on top of fender, back through other hole and knotted off. This then acts like the little adjustable doodah that you used to get on tent guy-ropes and allows quick and easy adjustment of height of the rope fender.