STOP LOSING FENDERS FOR EVER

trebby91

Featured Posts

Yes, as I'm sure you have found "Google" reveals that more familiar term is also in use for exactly this item, but as Adam says, so it "Carbine".

Odd!

Yep familiar with that term, although I think of it as an item shaped as in your link, as used by climbers, etc.

seems that term is also used for the shape of thing Adam mentions.

A climber would never CLIMB on the snap hook shaped link, well not in my days anyway, They just don't have the strength across the opening gate and would peel open under shock load.

Snap hook shapes were reserved for secondary jobs such as sack hauling, and were actually called "sack hauling crabs".

George ex nb Alton retired

Well I make extensive use of those, and had no idea they are ever called that.

Certainly not so called at our local DIY shop or in the "boaty" section of Clas Ohlsen where they are simply described as a Snap Hook

8871373864990.jpg

"Carbine Hook" hey? - well I never!

Incidentally, they are also called "Hold Sickle's Waterproof Tug Deck Cover Down With Plastic Milk Bottles Filled With Water Hooks"

The only reason I call them carbine hooks is that the very first ones I bought were from Tradline fenders at Braunston -- and that's what they call them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known what to call them! Here's the page from Tradline's catalogue.

Tradline_zpsc68280c1.gif

The only reason I call them carbine hooks is that the very first ones I bought were from Tradline fenders at Braunston -- and that's what they call them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known what to call them! Here's the page from Tradline's catalogue.

...and I had only ever heard of them referred to as carabiners, or perhaps more correctly karabiners, probably due to my early history as a rock fondler. However, following your assertion, I looked it up and despite my facetiousness, these shackles were originally intended as something to attach a strap to a carbine. So there you go. Carbine hook is a direct English translation of the German Karabinerhaken from where the term supposedly originates. So, perhaps my insistence on "karabiner" is as pretentious as pronouncing Paris as Paree. I still like the exploding bolts idea, though.

• Greenie 1

Everybody is refering to fenders on steel boats,I think. What about large plastic cruisers festooned with large round fenders. Alongside one of these in a lock narrow boat windows dont stand much chance. The problem with using tyres is that people put a few turns of rope aroud them. This wears through and the tyre drops in the cut.I bore two holes in the tread for the rope and one in the bottom to drain water.An industrial hole cutter cuts through the tread with ease.Have not lost a tyre yet..Lost lots of plastic side fenders though!.

• Greenie 1

Hi All.

Posted this bit of information a while ago in response to a boat owner that kept losing side fenders but as not everybody may have looked at the actual post I thought I would post it in its own right.

To stop losing any type of fender simply tie a thin piece of shock cord either on the fender or on the rope just above the fender (the fender rope usually breaks at the point it secures to the boat)

Wind about a metre of cord around the securing rope and tie it off at the boat (same as the fender)

When the fender rope gives out due to the fender getting trapped the shock cord will undo and hang onto the fender, just pull it back in, Job done!

Thanks to the OP for a jolly useful tip-top-tip. No, really!

I'm really rather inexperienced and do like to have my fenders down all the time to reduce the number of scrapes to our pride and joy.

Not losing fenders and causing other boaters problems IS a worry and this tip really may make a difference you see?

One day, when I'm older and more experienced, I do hope to do without fenders whilst on the move, as it does spoil 'the look' rather, dontchaknow!

The old working boats never had them and our little tug does have a full length rubbing strake, so I DO see the point the old hands are making.

Oh and we call them carbinas ( pronounced car-bine-ass ), which quite obviously is a malapropism, and amuses us greatly…...

My top tip? When fitting bow or stern fenders get out the bolt croppers and cut one side of one chain link each side/underneath, to make a weak link, in case they hang up on a cill.

There, I've contributed something too!

Cheers!

My top tip? When fitting bow or stern fenders get out the bolt croppers and cut one side of one chain link each side/underneath, to make a weak link, in case they hang up on a cill.

Another way to avoid cilling is to leave the boat in gear against the bottom gate. This way the boat also opens said gate all by itself when the lock empties, saving you a job, and keeping the boat safe all at the same time. Mos' handy when on your jack. In this instance, if you've taken above advice, your weakened link will split due to the sideways pressure on your bow button. Horses for courses. I just stay off the cills. My rudder doesn't have weak bolts to prevent the boat hanging if that catches. ;)

Another way to avoid cilling is to leave the boat in gear against the bottom gate. This way the boat also opens said gate all by itself when the lock empties, saving you a job, and keeping the boat safe all at the same time. Mos' handy when on your jack. In this instance, if you've taken above advice, your weakened link will split due to the sideways pressure on your bow button. Horses for courses. I just stay off the cills. My rudder doesn't have weak bolts to prevent the boat hanging if that catches. wink.png

How?

George ex nb Alton retired