Another round of wind and flooding on it's way

DeanS

Featured Posts

Just out of curiousity can a 70+10 navigate round the fens

"Full length and full width" will have trouble at Briggate Bend. I don't know if 10 foot would work. It will depend to some extent on draft, as the bend is shallow on the inside.

You'd have to go through Salters Lode on the level, and couldn't go through Lode's End except when it happened to be level.

Otherwise, yes.

MP.

ETA: Me and Meggers are talking about the same bend, if it's not obvious.

Edited by MoominPapa

I've tied the cat to a bungee cord and tethered the brassicas, anyone else a little fed up of this now?

The wind doesn't bother me too much. I remember my old narrowboat rolling quite a bit in high winds and that was knackering after a while, but the widebeam is a lot more stable. I can hear the wind blowing outside but it's not moving the boat much.

The only problem I have is when I go to empty the stove's ash tray - it blew all over me today! Still haven't got around to buying one of those overpriced tippy ash carriers...

Edited by blackrose

I think we knew that already.......icecream.gif

I was caught out by the annoying feature of this latest version of the forum software. There used to be a reply box only at the end of a thread. Now there is one at the end of every page, and I incorrectly thought that was the end of the thread. Meggers' post was lurking about furtively on page 2.

Duh....

:)

MtB

River Wey is fully flooded at Shalford and the canal and the island are one big lake

as for Briggate Bend on the middle levels I would say yes 70 x 10 will get round as I can get round the bend under power with a 70ft narrowboat there is a large obstruction on the outside of the bend under the footbridge but taking your time it shouldn't be a problem

Do some people on the forum still think that this weather is normal? huh.png

I

I know that two wet winters in a row doesn't mean it's climate change, but this weather is odd.

I would agree with Blackrose that this whole string of severe winds and storms, one after another are unusual. In the Fens we are used to wind but what we have been getting is exceptional. Yes MtB is correct that every winter brings extreme weather but this not the norm. Jet stream banging straight across at us from the USA, nothing good ever comes from there.

Phil

I would agree with Blackrose that this whole string of severe winds and storms, one after another are unusual. In the Fens we are used to wind but what we have been getting is exceptional. Yes MtB is correct that every winter brings extreme weather but this not the norm. Jet stream banging straight across at us from the USA, nothing good ever comes from there.

Phil

hmmmm.....

I quite like Boston Clam Chowder & New York style cheesecake....does that count?icecream.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo

Well I do. We have episodes of exceptional weather every year.

Always have had, for as long as I can remember.

MtB

Well I think I'm older than you Mike so I guess my memory must be failing...

Yes, we've always had exceptional weather (though certainly not every year), but I think the difference now is that we're definitely seeing an increased frequency of exceptional weather events.

Edited by blackrose

hmmmm.....

I quite like Boston Clam Chowder & New York style cheesecake....does that count?icecream.gif

Nothing god ever comes from the USA???

Rhythm & Blues.

Soul.

Cajun and zydeco.

Rodgers & Hammerstein.

45 rpm records.

Rock'n'roll.

Hamburgers (possibly from Germany via the USA).

Hot dogs.

Ford Mustang.

Knobbly steam locomotives with cowcatchers.

Stern-wheel steamships.

Bill Bryson.

John Steinbeck.

Yes, what have the Americans ever done for us?

Exceptions that prove the rule, nothing more, nothing less. (NY cheesecake lush my fave)

Phil

Never understood how an exception can in any way 'prove' a rule. Exceptions undermine a rule in my opinion.

And I'd nominate The Deftones! They come from the USA... Sacremento IIRC.

icecream.gif

MtB

Deftones? An old doowop group? Haven't heard of them.

An exception proves a a rule in the sense that it shows that a rule exists - if there were no rule, there would be nothing to which there could be an exception.