Sump oil extractor pump

junior

Featured Posts

I'm due my next oil change next week, last time I did it I used the brass pump on the side of the engine and it took over an hour of pumping to get 5.5ltr of oil out. I also have to do my gearbox this time.

I was recently told by someone that if I bought one of those electric extractor pumps it would be the best £60 I ever spent (he's obviously never been to Thailand!). Can the pumps be bought cheaper in the motor accessories industry rather than the marine accessories trade where everything seems to have an extra £20 bunged on it.

Alternatively, has anyone experience of the manual pumps that are advertised to do the same thing? I've seen some on ebay for less than a tenner, but I'm well aware of the phrase 'you get what you pay for'.

Any advice or suggestions (and links) greatfully received.

I and many others use this type You pump and go away and do something else while the reservoir sucks out the oil - you don't have to labour away yourself like with the cheaper manual pumps. But don't forget the oil should be hot - no pump will work properly or in any reasonable time on cold oil.

I'm due my next oil change next week, last time I did it I used the brass pump on the side of the engine and it took over an hour of pumping to get 5.5ltr of oil out. I also have to do my gearbox this time.

With my brass pump it takes about 1 min to extract 3 ltr. Is something wrong with the pump or are you pumping cold oil?

We use one of these at work on smart cars oil has to be hot it seems to work ok. I have to say that my little brass pump works wel on my engine

Peter

I always moaned about the brass extractor pumps on my Petter and Bolinder engines. The Petter especially used to take out about a double whisky at a stroke. Not much fun when you are moving 3 gallons. So I used to borrow a large Pela pump from a mate.

Now I have a large double acting pump on my Gardner and the sump empties in no time, no need for the Pela.

George ex nb Alton retired

With my brass pump it takes about 1 min to extract 3 ltr. Is something wrong with the pump or are you pumping cold oil?

Erm.....yes I was pumping cold oil. Whoops!

I always moaned about the brass extractor pumps on my Petter and Bolinder engines. The Petter especially used to take out about a double whisky at a stroke. Not much fun when you are moving 3 gallons. So I used to borrow a large Pela pump from a mate.

Now I have a large double acting pump on my Gardner and the sump empties in no time, no need for the Pela.

I also have a Petter, however it looks like my problem could have been that I was pumping cold oil. When I do it next week I may persevere with the brass pump and try it with hot oil to see if that makes a difference.

That doesn't help me with my gearbox though. Does anyone know if there is a drain hole on the bottom of a PRM260D?, or does it need to come out the hole it goes in? I have quite good access to the bottom of my gearbox.

I and many others use this type You pump and go away and do something else while the reservoir sucks out the oil - you don't have to labour away yourself like with the cheaper manual pumps. But don't forget the oil should be hot - no pump will work properly or in any reasonable time on cold oil.

Yeah basically a Pela pump

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/pela-vacuum-oil-extractor-pump-6-l-6567.html?gclid=CNH1xrb1zbsCFbMbtAodBnIAJg#.UrwktPRdWI8

Brilliant bit of kit, not just for engine oil draining either, I've sucked up all sorts of spills using it and you can get to the most awkward places with it too. For draining engine oil though it's a superb easy no mess solution.

Erm.....yes I was pumping cold oil. Whoops!

I also have a Petter, however it looks like my problem could have been that I was pumping cold oil. When I do it next week I may persevere with the brass pump and try it with hot oil to see if that makes a difference.

That doesn't help me with my gearbox though. Does anyone know if there is a drain hole on the bottom of a PRM260D?, or does it need to come out the hole it goes in? I have quite good access to the bottom of my gearbox.

Yes.

Junior.

As others have said run the engine first. If no result better look to your pump for faults, like a leak in the intake line. (or even an onion). The last engine like yours I worked on pumped clear in a couple of mins.

It had a cunning diverter valve, simple to fit, that diverted to the gearbox sump. Two for the price of one.

Oh! the magic of wi-fi, I'm sat on a horse outside the pub. How sad is that.

Yeah basically a Pela pump

Brilliant bit of kit, not just for engine oil draining either, I've sucked up all sorts of spills using it and you can get to the most awkward places with it too. For draining engine oil though it's a superb easy no mess solution.

I use a Sealey one which comes with three different diameter suction tubes. It's a more cylindrical shape - about 24" high x 6" diameter - which is more convenient for my use than the spherical Pela. I've used that for various liquids too.

As well as pumping oil when it is hot, I usually add a bottle of flusher as well. The instructions say to run the engine for about 20 mins.

A large plastic chocolate box (circular) is also ideal for collecting lubricant (ATF) from the gearbox, and for catching oll when removing the filter. You may have one or two spare at this time of year ...

Not sad at all. Sad would be trying to work out how to harness him to the boat....

Still here. the rest of the party havn't taken on food & drink enough yet. I think it's time to call it a day.

Sad, by your definition, has been done, though not with this horse. We helped a big boat with real rivets& sick engine home.

Used the life ring as a collar & bow & centre ropes to ballance the job.

As well as pumping oil when it is hot, I usually add a bottle of flusher as well. The instructions say to run the engine for about 20 mins.

A large plastic chocolate box (circular) is also ideal for collecting lubricant (ATF) from the gearbox, and for catching oll when removing the filter. You may have one or two spare at this time of year ...

So do you drain the oil and then add the flusher and drain that? or do you put the flusher in cold, heat it up with the oil and then drain the whole lot?

I think that expensive engine flush is just Kerosene. I have heard of running the engine for a few minutes with Diesel in place of the oil to flush it. In any case the only way to clean the sludge is to get your hand in if you have side doors, or drop the sump pan off and wash it out.

what is engine flush going to do that detergent oil isn't ?

what is engine flush going to do that detergent oil isn't ?

Dislodge large clumps of crud which then make their way into an oilway or gallery and blocks it. I'm not a fan of engine flush, the best way to clean an engine is a stripdown - there really is no shortcut or magic formula.

There is a little lever tap/valve on the bottom of my brass oil pump, maybe you have one on yours and it's nearly shut. I normally take 5-6 minutes to empty all 5.5 liters (old milk bottles fit nicely under the spout). I warm the engine but not to full running temperature as then the oil is to b****y hot and the pump being brass conducts that heat to your delicate fingers.

So do you drain the oil and then add the flusher and drain that? or do you put the flusher in cold, heat it up with the oil and then drain the whole lot?

I run the engine to operating temp, add the engine flush and run the engine for 10 mins, Stop the engine, then pump out the oil with the brass pump fitted to the engine while the oil is hot. I then let the engine cool down and change the oil filter.

I run the engine to operating temp, add the engine flush and run the engine for 10 mins, Stop the engine, then pump out the oil with the brass pump fitted to the engine while the oil is hot. I then let the engine cool down and change the oil filter.

Sounds good to me, I'll go with that method. I don't have an oil filter so that makes it a little easier too.

I don't have an oil filter so that makes it a little easier too.

I don't know your engine, but that sounds unusual to me. Could it be perhaps that crud is settling in the bottom of the sump rather than being filtered out, and that is then blocking your brass pump when you tried to use it?

I don't know your engine, but that sounds unusual to me. Could it be perhaps that crud is settling in the bottom of the sump rather than being filtered out, and that is then blocking your brass pump when you tried to use it?

From all the replies on here I suspect that the problem with my brass pump was that I was trying to extract cold oil. I'll try again this time with warm/hot oil and see if it makes a difference. If not then I'll start looking for reasons or alternative options.

I'm sure I don't have an oil filter as the manual lists it as an option extra and on the engine there is nothing where the manual says it would be if fitted.

Just a point. Are you sure that you need to drain the oil from your gearbox, normally the PRM takes TQF or Dexron2 which only needs changing if you have had clutch plate problems which makes the oil go black in which case more drastic action is needed than an oil change