An idea

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

Hey folks.Do you think there would be a market for an old style reversing lever and speedwheel set up with cables to replace morse control?

In a word...

Yes, as it's one of the 101 things I plan to do to our tug style NB.

Apart from the wheel and push-pull handle I haven't found much whilst surfing.

Cheers

Bill

We are a "modern liveaboard in the general style of an old trad".

The speedwheel and gear lever connect to rods that run along the back cabin roof, so the back cabin looks trad, but then discretely connect to cables that curve down to the JD3 giving a neat engine room where you can hang the washing without it getting sucked into chains and gears!

............Dave

My "new" boat has the original speed wheel and gear push/pull, with the cables just detached at the engine end and coiled up.

The previous owner changed to a retro-fitted morse control instead but has not routed the new cables very well. I have thought of returning to the original controls but a) don't know how pratical this would be and B) I have never used a speedwheel.

What do others think?

My "new" boat has the original speed wheel and gear push/pull, with the cables just detached at the engine end and coiled up.

The previous owner changed to a retro-fitted morse control instead but has not routed the new cables very well. I have thought of returning to the original controls but a) don't know how pratical this would be and cool.png I have never used a speedwheel.

What do others think?

Speedwheel and Gear lever are a Much nicer way to drive a boat, do it.

....................Dave.

Speedwheel and Gear lever are a Much nicer way to drive a boat, do it.

....................Dave.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, one can't help but wonder, if that is true, why do other boat designs not use the speed wheel and gear lever set-up?

Whilst I don't disagree with you, one can't help but wonder, if that is true, why do other boat designs not use the speed wheel and gear lever set-up?

Stops people having a permanent bruise just below the left shoulder blade.

Stops people having a permanent bruise just below the left shoulder blade.

Well I already have the bruise (the fragments of scalp don't seem enough to cushion the speedwheel!)

The question is, what work would be involved in reconnecting the old controls and how easy are they for a novice (to speedwheels, not to boating) to use?

Edited by frahkn

Well I already have the bruise (the fragments of scalp don't seem enough to cushion the speedwheel!

The question is, what work would be involved in reconnecting the old controls and how easy are they for a novice (to speedwheels, not to boating) to use?

There's some fairly intricate levers to be fitted on the throttle at the engine end, can't take pictures as the boats are miles away, the gear lever is less problematic but still need careful engineering.

As regards use, pushing or pulling the gear lever in the direction you want to go is simple enough, but remembering which way to turn the wheel, particularly when everything's going horribly wrong, can be a challenge. It's easy enough - I treat ours like a tap: anticlockwise for more fuel, clockwise for less - but I still get it wrong. Finding neutral accurately can be an issue too - annoying when you look round to find the boat has quietly buggered off.

Think I've just answered Luctor's question properly.

Just proved the point - edited to get the fuel control turns the right way around....

Edited by twbm

Sort of - Wrigglefinger's boat Cobbett has a push/pull rod connected to a cable to operate the PRM gearbox, and a Tony Redshaw speedwheel mechanism for the tractor engine

Richard

Thanks for the tip on Tony Redshaw, visit to Braunston coming soon

Cheers

Bill