Engine problem

Pike perch

Featured Posts

He has nothing to say until he knows a lot more about it. Number 1 on the exceptionally scant info we are given is fuel starvation but it its a Lister with LH150 box it might be going into ahead & reverse at the same time (which I doubt) or it could be a fouled prop if it is doing it when it goes into gear.

Engine make & model

Gearbox make & model if poss.

In gear or out

any funny noises

Previous history

How much fuel in tank MEASURED - not guessed at.

engine temperature

and so on

The we might be able to help.

Edited by Tony Brooks

When trying to increase speed my engine dies,is anyone able to advise what the problem could be.

Fuel starvation sounds likely; blocked filter, dodgy lift pump, sludge in tank etc. Fouled prop possible.

More info needed, such as excessive smoke? If so what colour? Type of engine and box? Anything replaced/altered of late? etc.

The OP has only been a member for a few hours. It is probably best to wait and see what further information he provides before we all speculate?

Note to OP (Pike perch):......... members are usually extremely helpful, but it is important to provide as much information as possible.

Many apologies for the scant description....not only am I new to boating, but also to the internet and forums. While I appreciate the help/advice given so far by the members of this group, I'm also taken aback by the apparent childish sarcasm of others!

That said, I've listed further information below and any advice would be greatly appreciated...but please no clever quips because they're rather off putting for newbies like me. ;)

* Engine is a Vetus M4.14 4 cyl Diesel

* The problem occurs whilst in gear

* It has a grinding and laboured sound, but when slowed down to a snails pace..it's fine.

*We've only just purchased the boat, but the engine is 8 years old (if that's any help.

* The temperature of the engine remains normal throughout.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to add....the engine has only done 750 hours.

Many apologies for the scant description....not only am I new to boating, but also to the internet and forums. While I appreciate the help/advice given so far by the members of this group, I'm also taken aback by the apparent childish sarcasm of others!

That said, I've listed further information below and any advice would be greatly appreciated...but please no clever quips because they're rather off putting for newbies like me. ;)

I'm afraid I can't help with the engine but if you're going to hang around the forum it's a good idea to get used to quips and sarcasm. Complaining about it often just brings more!

That said, I've listed further information below and any advice would be greatly appreciated...but please no clever quips because they're rather off putting for newbies like me. wink.png

* Engine is a Vetus M4.14 4 cyl Diesel

* It has a grinding and laboured sound, but when slowed down to a snails pace..it's fine.

*We've only just purchased the boat, but the engine is 8 years old (if that's any help.

* The temperature of the engine remains normal throughout.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to add....the engine has only done 750 hours.

Is it Vetus stern gear (any chance of a photo?) A friends boat made a similar noise when a small piece of nylon rope had wound itself around the propshaft and into the cutlass bearing. A bit of a shot in the dark, but a possibility?

Plenty of fresh oil in gearbox?

ps ignore the sarcasm. Some good people on here, and between them they will help sort your problem.

Edited by Guest

Catweasel, to tell you the truth...I haven't a clue what a stern gear is! :) but I could possibly get a scanned photo of the engine if that would help. Yes, there's plenty of oil in the gearbox and the engine has been regularly maintained.

Catweasel, to tell you the truth...I haven't a clue what a stern gear is! smile.png but I could possibly get a scanned photo of the engine if that would help. Yes, there's plenty of oil in the gearbox and the engine has been regularly maintained.

Hi , by stern gear he means the prop shaft and the bearing it sits in plus the propeller. Try opening the weed hatch and feeling round where the shaft meets the hull of the boat to feel anything that shouldn't be there.

Try tp be patient, as Catweasel says, there are some very highly skilled people on the forum.

PS if you don't know what should be on the shaft outside the boat, try looking online for photos of vetus stern gear.

Sounds like you may have something fairly big on the prop. Try a burst of reverse gear to see if you can throw it off. If that fails you will have to open the weedhatch and have a look.

If it only occurs in gear then the engine is probably ok. does the engine rev freely out of gear? I would start by checking that you have not got a load of wire around the prop, then grab the shaft and check for lots of play / bolts missing in couplings / seized python or aquadrive bearing if you have one. If there is no obvious problem from g/box to prop. and probably no problem from engine to gearbox then you have to suspect the gearbox.